Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-01-2013, 09:11 AM
vudoo vudoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 937
Default Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

I wonder why Dolby call 7.1 surround ''Dolby surround 7.1'' ?

All Digital Cinema Projection (DCP) can output up to 12 channels @ 24 bits/96 Khz as per DCI specifications. No encoding/decoding/matrixing is required. This means the ability to produce 7.1 channels of sound is built into every Digital Cinema Projection system and nothing about it is unique to Dolby technology or equipment. So is Dolby surround 7.1 simply a marketing term used by Dolby ???
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM
tom_lowe tom_lowe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: London, UK
Posts: 1,078
Default Re: Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
I wonder why Dolby call 7.1 surround ''Dolby surround 7.1'' ?

All Digital Cinema Projection (DCP) can output up to 12 channels @ 24 bits/96 Khz as per DCI specifications. No encoding/decoding/matrixing is required. This means the ability to produce 7.1 channels of sound is built into every Digital Cinema Projection system and nothing about it is unique to Dolby technology or equipment. So is Dolby surround 7.1 simply a marketing term used by Dolby ???
Yes, because most cinemas use Dolby processors that are capable of 7.1 and the audio from the DCP goes through them.

http://www.dolby.com/gb/en/professio...round-7-1.html.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2013, 04:31 AM
Alexander K Alexander K is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 51
Default Re: Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

They call it that way to differentiate their sound format from the other 7.1 format.
Basically DCP is capable of delivering two 7.1 sound formats: The one specified by DCI has the channel layout of the old SDDS 7.1 format.
The Dolby 7.1 format isn't specified within DCI, and so it is not mandatory to the projector industry to test their sound outputs with this format nor providing output capability with their devices. The only D-Cinema projector/server company who definitely will provide support for this format is Dolby.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM
vudoo vudoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 937
Default Re: Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander K View Post
They call it that way to differentiate their sound format from the other 7.1 format.
Basically DCP is capable of delivering two 7.1 sound formats: The one specified by DCI has the channel layout of the old SDDS 7.1 format.
The Dolby 7.1 format isn't specified within DCI, and so it is not mandatory to the projector industry to test their sound outputs with this format nor providing output capability with their devices. The only D-Cinema projector/server company who definitely will provide support for this format is Dolby.
When you mention the DCI vs Dolby format, do you simply mean the different channel order (lay out) ?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 AM
Alexander K Alexander K is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 51
Default Re: Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

Yes. There is no other difference between those two 7.1 formats within the DCP file.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-05-2013, 06:27 AM
vudoo vudoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 937
Default Re: Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

thx guys
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-05-2013, 10:25 AM
jeremiahmoore jeremiahmoore is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 482
Default Re: Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

Request for further clarification:

From what I'm reading here, the DCP standard for 7.1 then specifies the SDDS layout of 5 across the front, and two surround speakers. *not* the Dolby spec of adding rear surrounds. Is this correct?

I'm mixing 5.1 for DCP with some regularity here. (i.e. we do a 5.1 mix, and a film festival or other exhibitor will screen via DCP.) Generally we avoid Dolby, unless the film is a Dolby mix.

No requests as of yet for 7.1 But if there was such request, it will be critical to know the speaker layout expected.

-jeremiah
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-2013, 03:53 PM
vudoo vudoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 937
Default Re: Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahmoore View Post
Request for further clarification:

From what I'm reading here, the DCP standard for 7.1 then specifies the SDDS layout of 5 across the front, and two surround speakers. *not* the Dolby spec of adding rear surrounds. Is this correct?

I'm mixing 5.1 for DCP with some regularity here. (i.e. we do a 5.1 mix, and a film festival or other exhibitor will screen via DCP.) Generally we avoid Dolby, unless the film is a Dolby mix.

No requests as of yet for 7.1 But if there was such request, it will be critical to know the speaker layout expected.

-jeremiah
As a mixer, your only concern is to label your files properly. The track ordering will be taken care at the DCP authoring stage. I believe you're right about the SDDS lay out. I will check on the Christie IMB and let you know.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-2013, 03:59 PM
jeremiahmoore jeremiahmoore is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 482
Default Re: Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

Thanks vudoo.

My concern is primarily to inform my clients, so they can make the best possible choices.

-jeremiah
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:35 AM
Alexander K Alexander K is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 51
Default Re: Dolby surround 7.1 clarification

If your clients demand for a Dolby Surround 7.1 mix then follow the Dolby guidelines or contact your local Dolby consultant for help.
There is more to it than just speaker placement.
You have to create a 5.1 downmix as well.

What happens after the mix is up to the person / studio who is responsible for distribution of the production. If i.e. a movie is released in DS7.1 then the DCP authoring studio will take care of the appropriate channel mapping within the DCP and proper labeling of the drives.
If somebody is authoring the DCP by oneself, then he or she will notice that DCP tools like easyDCP Creator doesn't provide a channel mapping for DS7.1 but for (SDDS)7.1 because of DCI. You have to use a custom setup and follow the Dolby guidelines. These documents contain the channel mapping (needed channel numbers for each of the eight channels).
It could be necessary to provide the 5.1 version as well, for 5.1 theaters. If you or your clients really handle this by your own, then talk to the cinema management to make sure you provide them with the right soundtrack (or both of them).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dolby Surround Tools PT8 rmambo Post - Surround - Video 10 07-20-2009 03:31 PM
Dolby Surround Tools Help! audiopostmixer Post - Surround - Video 4 10-23-2007 11:50 AM
Anyone using Waves 360 Surround and/or Dolby Surround plug? Wheelieboy426 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 5 12-10-2002 03:13 PM
pt 5.1 and dolby surround tools tomcat Post - Surround - Video 1 06-21-2001 08:23 PM
Dolby surround on a Pro Control Raven Tips & Tricks 0 12-14-2000 03:23 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:56 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com