Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2009, 02:38 PM

Default Re: PT8 CPU Usage

This is like the Mbox Original nightmare for MAc users - it didn't work on thousands of systems and Digi never solved it or admitted that there was a problem.

Everyone should forget about PT8 and go back to PT7.4 if they've got problems.

It's either that or buy a new computer.

I can't see a fix coming soon if ever.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Pynn View Post
OK, since it appears there will be no fix in the near future. As a PT8 owner, can I downgrade to version 7.4? I am sitting on a pile of crap here (PT8) and at least with 7.4 I might be able to get something done.

Please someone let me know if I can do this.

Thanks a lot

Sorry, I guess my original post above was not very clear, and thanks for the responses. However, my issue is below.

I did not purchase a copy of PT 7.4. I bought a MboxII a couple of months ago, and it was bundled with PT8... So, my question is; can I use PT 7.4 without having to buy a licence for it? I never owned PT 7.4, I only purchased PT 8. If I can do this, where can I download or get a copy of PT 7.4? As another poster said, it is unlikely DIGI will come up with a fix for this. If they thought it was important, something would have been done by now.

Thanks again folks.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 PM

Nope. You're boned. 7.4 has a separate license. 7.4 or 8 won't even launch without the iLok license. If your Mbox had come with 7.4 with the free upgrade to 8 things would have been ok. In your case, if you wanted to downgrade to 7.4, you'd have to purchase and register that version.

Hey, let's play word scramble...

prerae

You could try to see if Digi (or Avid now) would provide you with a free downgrade

Last edited by Driven01; 04-28-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 04-29-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven01 View Post

prerae
That's mrig prerae to you, dAvi. But "odtn' reaf teh prerae" :P
Old 04-29-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driven01 View Post
Nope. You're boned. 7.4 has a separate license. 7.4 or 8 won't even launch without the iLok license. If your Mbox had come with 7.4 with the free upgrade to 8 things would have been ok. In your case, if you wanted to downgrade to 7.4, you'd have to purchase and register that version.

prerae

You could try to see if Digi (or Avid now) would provide you with a free downgrade
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am really Fu@*ing pissed with this. I looked over the website but I could not find out who I need to speak to about getting the free downgrade. Does anyone have any idea who I can email this request to...

P.S. I am very grateful to all of you who have provided me with assistance on this thread. At least DIGI got this part right.!!!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 AM
Avid

Quote:
As another poster said, it is unlikely DIGI will come up with a fix for this. If they thought it was important, something would have been done by now.
Not the case at all - the fix is not trivial and will need some serious testing before it can be released. We're working on it, but I do not have a specific date yet for release, as there are several other fixes going into the same release.

You can either call Customer Service by phone, or submit an email request for information on how to get a 7.4 authorization code and download.

Customer Service Email Request Form
Old 04-30-2009, 01:09 PM

[quote=DigiTechSupt;1391445]... the fix is not trivial and will need some serious testing before it can be released.

Hey DTS, hypothetically speaking, if an impatient sort of guy was willing to go out right now and buy new hardware that would run the existing release, what kind of OP-SYS, MOBO, CPU, bus chips, GDA, etc. would one need to acquire in order to completely not see this error as apparently the V8 release testers did not? I mean, there must be SOME hardware spec that runs PTLE8 "as-is" or it could never have passed QA in the first place, right? Also, would that hardware happen to come in a laptop version? (or was this flaw somehow just completely missed and now shows up even in the original test environment? )

Last edited by Mo Man; 04-30-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: added more questions :D
Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 PM

[quote=Mo Man;1391491]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hey DTS, hypothetically speaking, if an impatient sort of guy was willing to go out right now and buy new hardware that would run the existing release, what kind of OP-SYS, MOBO, CPU, bus chips, GDA, etc. would one need to acquire in order to completely not see this error as apparently the V8 release testers did not? I mean, there must be SOME hardware spec that runs PTLE8 "as-is" or it could never have passed QA in the first place, right?
Ooooooooohhhhhhh * grabs popcorn *

--------------------------------------------------

Why do people keep running over a string a dozen times with their vacuum cleaner, then reach down, pick it up, examine it, then put it down to give the vacuum one more chance?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=Mo Man;1391491]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
... the fix is not trivial and will need some serious testing before it can be released.

Hey DTS, hypothetically speaking, if an impatient sort of guy was willing to go out right now and buy new hardware that would run the existing release, what kind of OP-SYS, MOBO, CPU, bus chips, GDA, etc. would one need to acquire in order to completely not see this error as apparently the V8 release testers did not? I mean, there must be SOME hardware spec that runs PTLE8 "as-is" or it could never have passed QA in the first place, right? Also, would that hardware happen to come in a laptop version? (or was this flaw somehow just completely missed and now shows up even in the original test environment? )

Perfect question... I eagerly await the answer
Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 AM

To DTS:
There are plenty of willing users out here that are more than ready to help you debug an upcoming CS3 before its officially released. In case I can be of any help, don't wait to contact me...
Anyway, we are sitting on a not-quite-functional version of PT. So even if you send us a CS3beta (that may still contain bugs) to test run, it can only get better, for you and us !!