Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 05:50 PM

Default Sync to video

Hello: I need advice on how to sync to video while recording a live show with the VENUE console and ProTools HD...I do have a Miditimepiece AV as part of my gear...thanks for any advice, Cocoy Alvarez
Old 09-11-2006, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Sync to video

Should be able to send VITC into the MIDI Timepiece and output LTC to the Venue along with wordclock to the Venue. That will give you sample accurate positional reference to video.

Erik
Old 09-16-2006, 05:24 PM
Avid

Default Re: Sync to video

Hi,

There are a few ways to do this. Basically, when syncing to video you need both a positional reference and a clock reference. I'm not familiar w/ the MIDI Timepiece device, so I'll describe how to do it w/ a generic sync device (e.g., a SYNC I/O).

The simplest way is to use LTC (linear time code) supplied by the video team:

1) Connect the LTC to the LTC IN on the sync device. This gives the positional reference.
2) Connect the Word Clock OUT of the VENUE FOH Rack to the word clock IN of the sync device. This gives the clock reference.

The VENUE system is the audio clock in this case, and positional reference is derived from LTC.

Another approach is to use LTC plus a "black burst" video reference signal, also provided by the video team:

1) Connect the LTC to the LTC IN on the sync device. This gives the positional reference.
2) Connect the black burst outptut to the video reference IN of the sync device. This gives the clock reference.
3) Connect the word clock OUT of the sync device to the word clock IN of the VENUE FOH Rack

Note that in the latter case the FOH Rack is dependent on there being a solid word clock at all times. If the word clock is somehow disrupted the FOH Rack will automatically switch over to its internal clock, but there may be a few clicks and pops during the transition.

The D-Show console itself does not need to be locked to MIDI time code (MTC) in most normal video sync scenarios. The only time it needs MTC is if it's chasing to video playback and using MTC to fire pre-programmed snapshots in time w/ the video. Otherwise, MTC and the positional reference to Pro Tools are unrelated.

Sheldon