Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 12:36 AM

Default My digi002 Rack is Possessed!!! Help!

Well, here we go agian. Yet another problem with my POS 002... I'm sure this has been talked about many times, but I wasn't sure what to search for. During a session today, my 002 lost connection. It has done this in the past. I've replaced FW drives, done the whole bit. But today, 002 didn't recover...

It appears that the unit still has power because the light on the 'Mute' button is on and stays on. But the 44.1 led light (which as far as i understand it, is the 'ready' light) seems to turn off and on by itself, leaving the unit constantly turing off and on. Now, 002 will not even stay on long enough for me to start Pro Tools. Is this a Power Harness issue? I cannot continue running a studio with crappy hardware that fails constantly. Apogee/Samplitude, here I come!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Re: My digi002 Rack is Possessed!!! Help!

Quote:
Is this a Power Harness issue?
yes
Old 01-24-2005, 08:03 AM

Had the exact same issue last week, had to cancel a session just before the band showed.

It is the Power Harness -- I called on Friday and should have a new one in my mailbox when I get home today -- Louis at Digi Rocks

Providing you are registered, just call the support line and they will hook you up.
Glyph Firewire GT050 120 Gig
Event TR-6
Old 01-24-2005, 08:30 AM

How much does this thing cost to replace???
Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM

MUSIKxDRUMR,

I just went through the power harness thing. It doesn't cost anything to fix if you are still in warranty just call digi tech support and they should send you a new harness and a cleaning kit. If you are out of warranty the cable shouldn't be very expensive. The problem with the connector is caused by the connections opening up due to residue build up on the connectors. You can do a temporary fix by just simply un-connecting and reconnecting the power harness plugs to break up the residue. Also cleaning the connectors and adding a prevenative compound to the connectors will give you a better result. I'm not sure what changed in the new connector since the cleaning is what made it start working again. Usually the residue is cause by either contamination durring manufacturing or by using two different types of metal for the conectors that are not compatable (electrolysys causes residue buildup). (be sure to guard against static by grounding yourself if you open your box, it is really bad this time of year)

randy
Old 01-24-2005, 06:37 PM

Connectors for power connectors come in many flavors including the core materials (copper vs brass/bronze) which provide long term spring tension, and the plating on the contacts (thick gold, thin gold, nickel, or plain tin) This plating is provided so that the two materials remain compatable.

The other issue that can prematurely fail a power connector is running to much current (to many amps) through a marginally spec'd connection. Better connectors have guidelines for derating a connector's power handling capability as you add more power to several contacts.

Obviously Digi went on the cheap and is still doing so sinse brand new OO2R's are still failing. Someone once recommended unsoldering these connectors and simply hard-wiring the power harness to the circuit boards. Other than forever killing your warrantee and hoping your power supply never fails, it is the optimum solution.

Just think, while your OO2 is dying, what is being introduced into your audio? Somehow I think all this should be considered 'below parr' for Pro-Audio. Just imagine if you had to reseat your CPU every few months in your PC or have to clean your monitor connector every so often just to have your PC work or even having a transient connection on your hard disk . This is simply shotty design/workmanship.

I wonder if the same people responsible for designing this marginal PTLE hardware is responsible for the ICON and VENUE design. If I was the CEO of Digi, heads would have rolled long ago!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:22 PM

For future refrence, I'm far past my warranty and the part is still completely free. They just shipped it out today and it should be arriving tomorrow. At least they make it easy to fix their crappy product! Very happy this is going to be a quick fix. I've got money on the line!