Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by barakka View Post
I have a UK bought Sony VAIO VPC-F12S1E which runs an i7 740 with 6GB RAM and 7200RPM Drive and have successfully installed 8.0.4 (eventually) with an MBOX 2 Micro.

I've yet to tax the system, or see how it performs on anything bigger as I haven't decided whether to go with an MBOX 3 PRO or a 003 Factory - when I do it will be interesting to see if it can be made to work with the Sony iLink S400 port.
Have you tested your VAIO with 003 or MBOX 3 Pro? Does Sony iLink work well? Any other info about your VAIO and ProTools?
I am very interested about the same laptop. Is the display good? Is it too heavy and big to take with you everyday?
Old 04-12-2011, 01:44 AM

Does anyone know if Pro Tools works with AMD Turion II?

On some occasions I hear it does, others no. I believe an old basic AMD Turion is a no go, but how about Turion II?

Got a Cubase 6 working nicely on it, so why wouldn't PT 9??

Any ideas?

Cheers!

-Roland
Old 05-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Hey all,
I just got my toshiba qosmio x505 q8104x yesterday and am happy so far.

I just got done running a dverb 2 test with 240 dverbs. I haven't really optimized it at all cept updating the geforce 460m drivers and removing some bloatware. I recorded 48 tracks to the internal hard drive while surfing on here.

Vid
Zalman 9900 LED
Readeon HD 4650
6 tb storage
WIN 7 x64 Ult
PT9
002 Console, 11R, Profire 2626, Jamlab
MPT2(wtf?)
HP DV7-3188cl
i5
320g 7200rpm hd X2
Siig xpress 1394
6 gig ram
(disabled g105 and acpi
Old 07-29-2011, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE-help!

Hello people on the forum and HELP!
I am a complete moron regarding sound. However, I also do a lot of voice work and so I invested in a beautiful rode nt1-a mic, and got an mBox mini with PROTOOLS LE 8.0.3 about a year ago. I have been running it off my Samsung NC10 netbook (with which I do everything else as well!-mainly internet and word) but obviously there are problems. Sometimes I have to stop and exit protools because I try bouncing and the thing has problems playing back (lots of glitches and funny leaps in the sound) and then there is a problem with the clock (? What? What clock? i don't understand it). Anyway. I have decided to dedicate a computer to sound. So nothing else on it. It needs to be small because I travel a lot (WITH my mic and mbox) and i will keep off the internet. I will not install any programs that are not needed for sound but I have a few questions.
1) my eye has fallen on a deal for a TOSHIBA 13.3 INCH T130. It doesn't have a cd-rom drive, but I don't need that as I have an external one. It has dual core intel inside. Do i need this? 64 bit, is that good or is 32 better? Main advantage in the reviews is that it is very quiet, and seeing I record my voice with my laptop in the same room, that is not a bad idea, I think.
Does anyone have any ideas if this is a good machine?
2) Do I need to install apple itunes or quicktime player so I can bounce to a format that I can then listen back to? I'd put everything on a card and then put that card into a computer with internet so I can send files.
Mostly I do very small projects, I mean, mainly it is one track ie my voice, and producers then tweak the end result. I may sometimes want to do stuff with music (midi) but very limited, demo stuff so no more than 4 or tracks maximum. There is so much information on the web I am going insane, especially because I am not technical at all, but I can't have a system that keeps crashing on me when working against deadlines. Will I solve the most of my problems by getting this Toshiba rather than a less powerful notebook and by dedicating it only to sound? Does anyone know? Thanks for your help!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Default Need to take PTLE 8 Mobile...HELP!

Hey Guys,
I've been searching through this thread and can't quite find the answer.

I have a 003 Rack with PTLE 8.0.5 on my studio PC (a large, liquid cooled tower), but need to go mobile to record a friend's band live. Taking the tower on the road is not really an option.

I am willing to take my Yamaha 01V96 V2 out, but need a laptop and interface (preferably with a optical/lightpipe so I can go 01V to the interface). All I need is a system that can get the music onto PT. I plan on doing all the mixing, editing and any fx back at home on my studio PC.

Being that this is probably going to be a near-freebie and a one time thing, what is going to be the most economical Laptop and Interface for me to get this done?

Thoughts/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks all!!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Hello,

I am needing a laptop for recording... I would like to do very minor video also.. I'm using m-box 2 with Protools 7.0LE. I would go ahead and upgrade Protools 9LE if I made the laptop purchase.. Could someone who has knowledge check this link.. the laptop is extremely powerful and affordable, but I read it's a gaming laptop, blah.... made that mistake once already, error galore! Anyways, I was considering a "pre-tuned" (whatever that means) laptop from Rain, supposedly built specifically for audio/video production..

Lenovo laptop- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Lenovo+-...9#BVRRWidgetID

Or would it be smarter to go with the Rain laptop "tuned for audio production", with less power and also 700$ more exspensive....

Thanks,
Chris
Old 09-08-2011, 09:38 AM

looking for opinions on this please

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214394

unfortunately the "approved" laptops on Avid's site are way outdated

Avids site says this laptops predecessor would work with an eSATA drive and the overview says it has a combo eSATA/USB input but says nothing on the specs page....but it does have 2 internal 500gig 7200rpm drives
does it have the right chipset - Intel HM65 ?

or maybe this one
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214274

I have a digi002R and an mbox2pro and currently 8.0.5 so I guess if I want to stay with the 002R the first choice is a no go(I would need to get pt9 and a usb interface right?) I don't seem to find many laptops available now with firewire????is it out???

Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 06:20 PM

If there is an ExpressCard slot you can get an approved firewire ExpressCard.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 10-25-2011, 05:12 AM

finally got my 003 running after a loooot of trouble.

As i spent so much time trying to find here what was working or not, i want to post my set up here for others reference:

003 rack
PT LE 8.0.5
hp probook 4520 (discontinued, unfortunately) with win7 64bits
approved expresscard SIIG

I still have to put it in hard work, but so far it is stable.
No special configuration except the power setting recomandation and running pt as administrator.

Hope this helps someone
Old 04-05-2015, 03:59 AM

Hope someone here can help, this thread is looking pretty abandoned in 2015!
Looking for a Windows laptop to use with a Digi 002. Currently using a Shuttle XPC with Windows XP and ProTools LE 7, but looking to downsize to using 1 laptop for music and everything else. Have read through this thread but a lot of the information is quite old, I'm sure the Lenovo T61 is still a good option for my version of PT but I would like to get a newer faster laptop that will work well with other newer software too.

I've read that Windows 7 has been officially qualified for Pro Tools LE 8.0.5. For the PC, I'm wondering should I go for something with 2 separate Windows installations - one for ProTools (with no Wifi enabled, no antivirus running etc), and one install for 'everyday' PC usage. If so, is it best to get a laptop with room for 2 hard drives, or just use 1 drive with a partition? Would using an SSD be a good option? When recording should I be recording to an external drive? Would that mean I would need 2 Firewire ports in the PC?
Finding it hard to get answers to these questions, hope somebody can help!