Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2010, 05:44 PM

Default Adding Automation to plug-in

I seem to be able to add automation control to any of my RTAS plug-ins, but none of the wrapped VST plug-ins. I'm wondering why?

Old 02-14-2010, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Adding Automation to plug-in

Maybe a flaw in the code for the wrapper(or maybe they never thought about that, or maybe it can't work for some reason)? I never tried to automate VST plugins when I had the wrapper installed. Now I have so many RTAS plugins that I no longer use VST's. Maybe someone else has a better answer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-14-2010, 11:23 PM

As I recall wrapped VSTs cannot be be automated since they are not RTAS compliant. but I'm not 100% positive on that though. I havent used the wrapper since 7.3

I will check with some one I know that uses a lot of VSTs.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 PM

From FXSpansions VST2RTAS Wrapper Q&A page.

Does VST to RTAS Adapter v2.1 support automation?
Yes.

From a GearSlutz post....

"No you can automate wrapped VST plugins in Pro Tools.

It might just be that one causing issues. Some plugs don't work the best when wrapped. Some work flawlessly."

You might try rewrapping the plugs to see if it makes a difference.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 02-15-2010, 07:27 AM

Well, that's the version of FXpansion I'm using. Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some further checking. So far, though, none of my VST plugins seem to allow me to set up automation for any of the parameters.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:04 AM

Well, I've checked further and it does seem to be the case that none of my wrapped VST plug-ins will allow me to select any parameters for automation. Granted, that's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have the feature available.

What I don't know is what determines when/how a plug in's parameters are available to set up for automation.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well, that's the version of FXpansion I'm using. Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some further checking. So far, though, none of my VST plugins seem to allow me to set up automation for any of the parameters.
Well at least with the freebie VSTs the quality is all over the place. I would check with the individual plugin developers to see if there a reason automation in not working. It might not hurt to check with FXspansion via their forums looking for a solution.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM

I've had mixed luck with automating wrapped VSTs. Some do fine, some don't do at all, many work somewhat unreliably. Often, you don't get an accurate readout of automation data. That is, when you move a data point with your mouse, there is either no indication of the value, or an inaccurate or meaningless indication. E.g., an EQ frequency parameter may read out as 0 through 10 rather than showing the actual frequency. Some plugins respond so sluggishly to automation changes that it's practically useless anyway. It's a crap shoot. But what do you want from freebies in a 3rd party unsupported format? Digi should just add VST support. Holding out only makes them look bad.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 02-15-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
I've had mixed luck with automating wrapped VSTs. Some do fine, some don't do at all, many work somewhat unreliably. Often, you don't get an accurate readout of automation data. That is, when you move a data point with your mouse, there is either no indication of the value, or an inaccurate or meaningless indication. E.g., an EQ frequency parameter may read out as 0 through 10 rather than showing the actual frequency. Some plugins respond so sluggishly to automation changes that it's practically useless anyway. It's a crap shoot. But what do you want from freebies in a 3rd party unsupported format? Digi should just add VST support. Holding out only makes them look bad.
I think does answer my question. At least its not just me. Yes, some of my VST's are freebies, but some aren't. But none seem to work for automation.

Thanks for the replies!