Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)

Old 04-05-2021, 08:25 AM

Default Digidesign 192 Tracking Capacity

I am doing research on how to build a Pro Tools HD system, utilizing two Digidesign 192s to get a total of 24 i/o. My interest in the system is primarily as a tracking/playback interface with a high input/output count. I want to be able to record a live band using a mixing console/desk and then playback through the mixing console without losing much in terms of the analog to digital conversion. Note: I have a separate system for mixing/mastering/arranging, so I will hardly use plug ins, vsts, or track counts beyond 32 channels. Regarding this set up, I have a couple questions that I haven’t been able to find the answer to in these threads:

1. Can the Digidesign 192 HD system handle multi-tracking and playback around 24-32 channels? That is, can it handle recording 24-32 channels or playing back 24-32 at the same time without overloading? (Keeping in mind that there will be no plug-ins in the session)

2. In an HD system, do the HD Accel Cards handle all of the cpu load of pro tools hd or can you distribute some to the hd system and some to the CPU’s ram and ssd. I ask this because it seems like in 2021, with much higher ram and ssd speeds, it would be more efficient to utilize the higher speeds of ram and ssd to run the pro tools session compared to a dsp built in 2008. Is it possible in pro tools hd to use the HD system for i/o and your CPU’s ram and ssd to handle the other operations of the session?

Thanks y’all.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Digidesign 192 Tracking Capacity

Hi, welcome to the community.

Yes single HD interface is capable of 16 in 16 out so two boxes will give you 32 inputs and outputs and you only need single card for it. Be aware that single interface cannot do 16 analog inputs and 16 analog outputs at the same time, which means if your goal is 32 i/o you need to have 24 analog i/o plus 8 digital i/o. Avid branded (grey) HD interfaces do not have this limitation, but DigiDesign branded (blue) HD interfaces cannot have 16/16 analog.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:02 PM

The HD cards(not the interfaces) handled MOST processing(but not any native plugins used), but those old HD cards are not compatible with any newer version of Pro Tools than 10(10.3.8 IIRC) and probably won't work with any current OS. The old 192 interfaces do still work, but you will need a card to use them(either HDX, HD/Native PCIe or HD/Native Thunderbolt on a Thunderbolt port). Not knowing exactly how experienced the OP is on this, here is more info, just in case:
1-assuming a modern version of Pro Tools, you MUST have Ultimate(or HD) software.
2-you MUST have a Digilink license(a separate one-time purchase at $299) on your iLok
3-Old key-shaped iLoks will not work, so get an iLok 2 or iLok 3(iLok 3 being a much more robust package of metal instead of plastic)
4-be aware that there are 2 versions of 192; the "standard" and the DIGITAL. The DIGITAL can NOT accept any analog IO at all(so you would need external converters in either direction).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-05-2021, 07:05 PM

Last 2 cents; a modern and well-spec'd computer with a used HD/Native PCIe card will easily handle 32 IO for recording full bands(I ran this in an HP Z820 12 core with 2x192 IO and 2 HD IO and the performance was really good(good enough that I just bought a card and 192 for my current little mix room)

Old 04-05-2021, 09:53 PM

Thanks for the info y’all. I have a pro tools 9 hd license and windows 7 on a pc with ssd and 16 gb ram, so I don’t think I will need a digilink license, though maybe it would be better to upgrade to a motherboard with two pcie slots so I can have both the hd accel core and hd accel cards. I’m planning on two 192s with 16 analog in and 8 analog out in one, and 8 analog in and 16 analog out in the other, with a digital card in each in case I need to expand with pres. I’ll piece together this set up over the next year or so, trying to keep it under 1k overall. Then I can make the real investment be the analog desk, and have some quality analog/digital converters to track in pro tools. And if my studio does well down the road I’ll have the option to upgrade to the HD I/Os
Old 04-06-2021, 12:37 PM

Aha, then you are correct about not needing the Digilink license(which started at PT 12.6 HD).

Old 04-06-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldlouisvillerecords View Post
Thanks for the info y’all. I have a pro tools 9 hd license and windows 7 on a pc with ssd and 16 gb ram, so I don’t think I will need a digilink license, though maybe it would be better to upgrade to a motherboard with two pcie slots so I can have both the hd accel core and hd accel cards. I’m planning on two 192s with 16 analog in and 8 analog out in one, and 8 analog in and 16 analog out in the other, with a digital card in each in case I need to expand with pres. I’ll piece together this set up over the next year or so, trying to keep it under 1k overall. Then I can make the real investment be the analog desk, and have some quality analog/digital converters to track in pro tools. And if my studio does well down the road I’ll have the option to upgrade to the HD I/Os
Are you already running the HD accel core and PTHD on your computer?? If so, good. If not, it may be hard to get it up and running. If I were in your position, I'd look for a turnkey HD2 or HD3 system that is already setup and installed on an older mac or PC. It's just really hard to get an older OS with Pro Tools going in my opinion. You have to track down old installers and one of the harder things to do is get the pace/ilok installers for an old system working. Finding a turnkey system already setup may alleviate that headache for you. I just retired my PTHD10.3.10 HD6 system. I used a fair amount of plugins and that is even harder to keep working with most manufacturers totally abandoning any support for 32 bit plugins. You can't even get the installers anymore. Good luck with your endeavor!
Old 05-13-2021, 05:25 PM

Update y'all.

I have pro tools hd2 tdm system and digidesign 192 8x16x8 running on windows 7. Wow I am really impressed with this system - the 192 is rock solid and integrates with pro tools seamlessly, very simple and intuitive. Added a Yamaha AD824 8-channel preamp for the AES/EBU connection to make the unit 16i/16o.

I was very hesitant to take the plunge into the TDM hardware because of all the cautions against it on the internet, but I am really glad I did. This is really quality and user-friendly stuff for not much money. If you're willing to search around a bit for licenses and gear, and don't mind the system being "dated" in terms of plug-ins and VSTs. I have a separate system for mixing/mastering so no need for that stuff in the tdm system. All I need the tdm system for is high i/o tracking counts, so this system is basically just a really quality multi-track recorder for tracking 16i/16o through an analog mixer, with room to expand up to 64i/64o.