Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2016, 07:29 PM

Default Rolling back to 11 with Commit tracks and Freeze

Anyone have any idea what happens opening sessions from 12 in 11? 12.4 is complete garbage. It can't even handle tempo changes without throwing CPU errors. I'm a film composer I've never seen tempo changes cause CPU errors. I can't believe how terrible Pro Tools has gotten, I can't take it anymore, service calls resolve nothing.

I should have known when first using 12 and creating sessions from templates crashed 12 I was in for nothing but trouble. Somehow Avid manages to break things that have worked for years and make things worse with each update.

Pro Tools has become a complete liabilty if you make a living writing music.
Old 03-22-2016, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Rolling back to 11 with Commit tracks and Freeze

I feel it, too. I post about my disappointment hoping that they will read them and do something soon. Collaboration will be nice, but first, I need to be able to work by myself. They don't seem to get that. Tone deaf.

Steve
Old 03-22-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Mixing View Post
I feel it, too. I post about my disappointment hoping that they will read them and do something soon. Collaboration will be nice, but first, I need to be able to work by myself. They don't seem to get that. Tone deaf.

Steve
What's crazy. I have the ear of a guy fairly high up at Avid, email, phone calls. He always does his best to confirm and admit bugs when I find them and report. it's just not enough. I want this to work. The problem is PT being tied to a company with a corporate structure and that is publicly traded. Audio software should not be a part of this kind of thing
Old 03-22-2016, 11:20 PM

>The problem is PT being tied to a company with a corporate structure and that >is publicly traded. Audio software should not be a part of this kind of thing

Nothing should.

Jesper
Old 03-23-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Collaboration will be nice, but first, I need to be able to work by myself. They don't seem to get that. Tone deaf.

Steve

So true!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intransit View Post
Anyone have any idea what happens opening sessions from 12 in 11? 12.4 is complete garbage. It can't even handle tempo changes without throwing CPU errors. I'm a film composer I've never seen tempo changes cause CPU errors. I can't believe how terrible Pro Tools has gotten, I can't take it anymore, service calls resolve nothing.

I should have known when first using 12 and creating sessions from templates crashed 12 I was in for nothing but trouble. Somehow Avid manages to break things that have worked for years and make things worse with each update.

Pro Tools has become a complete liabilty if you make a living writing music.
You're a film composer and still using PT? have you thought about Cubase/Nuendo (which Hans Zimmer uses) or Digital Performer (which a boatload of Hollywood type composers use)? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass about this but there are other/better daws out there that don't have the issues PT12 has. And if you use a lot of MIDI DP wipes the floor with PT any version; I think that comes from the thing that originally DP came from a MIDI-centric start world.

QAPLA!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:51 PM

I use PT since version 5, PT12 is the worst in terms of performance so far. Reaper and Logic handles freeze files way way better, PT is just ridiculous. I've been trying to open a session for 2 days, lost several hours trying to solve a freeze problem. I have a stereo bus which I froze with 4 plugins and when trying to unfreeze session just crashes. Also I lost the frozen file and now it keeps asking for it. There's no way to make it work, good thing I still have PT11. and I bought PT12 just for that...AVID, will it be fixed in the next update? hope so.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
You're a film composer and still using PT? have you thought about Cubase/Nuendo (which Hans Zimmer uses) or Digital Performer (which a boatload of Hollywood type composers use)? I'm not trying to be a smart-ass about this but there are other/better daws out there that don't have the issues PT12 has. And if you use a lot of MIDI DP wipes the floor with PT any version; I think that comes from the thing that originally DP came from a MIDI-centric start world.
I don't care what HZ uses but yes a lot of composers use Cubase, they run a MADI setup directly into PT. I'm 35 years old, started in recording studios years ago. Just switching to cubase isn't easy. A buddy of mine is trying right now because he's decided PT is a liability. AAX was supposed to solve these problems, give us a modern hassle free plugin format. DP sucks, Logic is becoming a joke. I'm a very creative composer. I'm not just pulling up Kontakt libraries. I do a ton of mixing, sound design and audio editing because of my background.

What about AVID delivering on their promises and keeping my investment viable. Started with Mix systems in pro studios. Personally Mbox, 002 rack then a TDM system, now native HD. There always seems to be this light at the end of the tunnel which ends up being another labyrinth of BS to sort out and deal with.

Last edited by Intransit; 03-23-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Collaboration will be nice, but first, I need to be able to work by myself. They don't seem to get that. Tone deaf.

Steve
Seriously