Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2004, 09:09 PM

Default MIDI Stretch

I have a MIDI file that I need to import into an existing project. When I import the midi file it plays double the speed that i need it to be to fit with the existing project. Does anyone know of a way to cut the speed in half relative to the existing project? It would be the same as stretching the midi out over twice the bars?

Rob
Old 06-20-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: MIDI Stretch

Halve the tempo or change from quarter notes to half notes.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 06-21-2004, 08:27 AM

Rail Jon Rogut,

Cutting the tempo in half would cut the tempo of the whole session, wouldn't it? I need to cut the tempo in half of the imported MIDI "relative" to the rest of the existing session. If this is easy to do then i must be missing something in what you are saying? Can you be more specific?

Rob
Old 06-22-2004, 05:41 AM

I think changing the note values might be the only way to go.

I thought about this scenario:

Changing the tempo to half for the midi file in a separate session first, and then copy it from that that session and paste it (or maybe import it) into the new session with its existing tempo grid, but the note values would still be the same - wouldn't work.

You could change the tempo in another session, SAVE the session, record it to audio and import the region.
Old 06-22-2004, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Rail Jon Rogut,

Cutting the tempo in half would cut the tempo of the whole session, wouldn't it? I need to cut the tempo in half of the imported MIDI "relative" to the rest of the existing session. If this is easy to do then i must be missing something in what you are saying? Can you be more specific?

Rob
Very easy way to do it.Open the session you want to export from.Halve the tempo,export the MIDI track you want to use.Reset the tempo in that session and close it.Open the new session and import the MIDI track you just saved with the Tempo halved.

Or as Rail suggested you can just halve the note values.

Old 06-22-2004, 10:12 AM

Midi tempo is dependent on the session tempo. If you change the session tempo, the midi tempo changes accordingly. If you import a midi file that was at 60bpm into a session at 120bpm, the file will play at 120 bpm regardless of what tempo it was saved as.

In PT, if you want to change the tempo of the midi files to match the song tempo, you can change the session tempo which will not affect the audio regions but will change the midi regions to play at the desired tempo. But you have to be careful not to quantise the audio regions or the audio will lock to the session tempo.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 06-22-2004, 10:15 AM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Quote:
Midi tempo is dependent on the session tempo. If you change the session tempo, the midi tempo changes accordingly. If you import a midi file that was at 60bpm into a session at 120bpm, the file will play at 120 bpm regardless of what tempo it was saved as.

In PT, if you want to change the tempo of the midi files to match the song tempo, you can change the session tempo which will not affect the audio regions but will change the midi regions to play at the desired tempo. But you have to be careful not to quantise the audio regions or the audio will lock to the session tempo.
It would be nice if the TC/E tool worked with MIDI events much as is does with audio.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Midi tempo is dependent on the session tempo.
Of course, as you say in your signature, you are correct Cliffy.I suffer most mornings from Brain Cramp.I think what our friend is saying is that he needs half time in the new session.So in that case changing the resolution of the note values[say from 1/4 note to 1/8 note] of the MIDI track before it is exported would produce the desired effect.

Or not

If you changed the note value and then changed the meter say fom 4/4 to 2/4 you would end up with right amount of bars..But don't quote me on that. I'm just thinking out loud and I am a guitar player, so what do I know about it anyways.

Old 06-22-2004, 11:22 AM

"Or as suggested you can just halve the note values."

By the way, is there an easy way to do this, besides doing them all one at a time? That is quite a process. You could play the part over in much less time.

Has this one been solved yet? I'm just a guitar player, too.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Of course, as you say in your signature, you are correct Cliffy
You actually bothered to read it? I'll have to be more creative from now on Bazboy
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12