Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Default I hate these Freakin Rack Plugins

Slate VMR, Waves Studio Rack, etc...

I don't want to open my sessions and see VMR, VMR, VMR, VMR, StudioRack, StudioRack, StudioRack, StudioRack, StudioRack, StudioRack, VMR, VMR, VMR, VMR,VMR, VMR, VMR, VMR

You can't even purchase a Waves Digigrid DLS because you can only use Studio Rack for your plugins.

I am done buying plugins and hardware that forces me to use these stupid racks. It should be a separate option, not the only way to use the plugins.

Slate just lost a sale, Waves just lost a Digigrid DLS sale and I'm not renewing my WUP for the first time ever.

Brilliant.
Retro 176 (pair), Pultec EQP-1A (pair), Germanium Comps (pair), BAE 10DC (pair), Distressor (pair), Manley Vari-Mu, Sta-Level, Zener, SSL Fusion, SSL FX G384, API 2500, LA2A, 1176, Bricasti, Massive Passive, Anamod ATS-1, Eventide H3500, TC 2290, Yamaha D5000, PCM92, PCM70... Amps, Amps & More Amps.

Last edited by Ghost In The Attic; 12-04-2014 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:44 AM

Default Re: I hate these Freakin Rack Plugins

I fully agree. I find these racks very impractical in large complex sessions. The reasons are numerous.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-04-2014, 07:47 AM

+10000

They'll never support control surfaces properly this way either. But I fear CSs are going by the way side anyway.

Having said that.... both Slate and Soundtoys can simply host one module per instance as a work around.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:57 AM

I've resisted the VMR release (debated at length with SS himself here by several members) because of the rack and soon being forced to use this to host VCC 2.0, which I purchased without a rack dependency. As it stands (if I buy no other VMR modules), I will take VMR to mean VCC which will be loaded by default!

On the other hand, I started to use IK/T-Racks when they released standalone plugins ... and today would be a good day to start if you haven't already as they extended their 'Group Buy' to 5 for 1 if 300 more are sold over the next 10 days (currently 4 for 1)!

Soundtoys have also announced they are going the 'rack route' - however, like Waves (native) and unlike Slate (who appear to have integrated common code in the rack module itself to make for speedier releases in future), this is optional.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:54 AM

I totally agree. I would love to know what the thinking behind this new approach is though. Is it simply an updated marketing sceme that we're supposed to think is amazing. Are they counting on us to simply buy the stuff without taking the time to think about the fact that the only thing that is different about the plugins is that they are in a rack which has no functional reason for existing in the first place. What is supposed to be different between inserting the individual plugins in a row on a track and putting them in the same order in the rack? The only difference that I can see is that the rack keeps you from seeing what you have instantiated until you actually open it's GUI. Am I missing something?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:58 AM

In Slate's case it's the Raven. One touch and the channelstrip of your dreams appears and is instantly tweakable. Not sure what Soundtoys take is but they've always liked their "wood side panels".

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:03 AM

Yes, "wood side panels". They are truly awesome and oh so usefull. Ha
Old 12-04-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Yes, "wood side panels". They are truly awesome and oh so usefull. Ha
I think the wood side panels have moved to the rack and the actual V5 plugins which had these (like Echoboy and Decapitator) have lost their panels :)
Old 12-05-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I would love to know what the thinking behind this new approach is though.
The fact that Pro Tools does not have plugin chains, perhaps?
Old 12-04-2014, 10:07 PM

Yep! +1 I agree whole heartedly! I held off from buying it also. I really don't like being forced to use the rack. At least with waves you can use the rack or use the plugins as a stand alone. I think you should have the option either or.

Last edited by zion; 12-05-2014 at 04:15 PM.