Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Default Sudden Static White Noise

Today while laying down tracks I was nearly struck deaf with a sudden and prolonged extremely loud burst of white noise from my monitors. It has occurred about 5 times today. It scared the hell out of me and totally wrecked the vibe. I am concerned about hearing and speaker damage if it keeps happening.

I checked the message boards and haven't found any solution. Most threads that discussed this were from 2006 and earlier.

If anyone has a clue as to how to solve this, I'd really appreciate the help.

Here's my setup:

Mac Pro Dual 2.0 gHz
500 GB hard Drive (Firewire External)
1GB RAM
MBox (Original Light Blue USB Model)
Pro Tools LE 8.0

Please help.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2009, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Sudden Static White Noise

I'm willing to bet $3 u didn't do a search on this matter??? Thatz always the 1st thing u should do...$3 please

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...ng+white+noise

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...ng+white+noise

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 02-25-2009, 06:07 AM

Thanks for your response. BUT not so fast on the $3. I searched the Mac message boards; you sent me the Windows links. However...

I did read through the PC threads you sent me and it seems that the problem is possibly linked to a drive format issue. I didn't see a definitive cure though. In fact I read through your posts as as recently as December you seemed to still be having the problem.

Did you solve the problem? (Hope so.) If you did, would you please let me know what to do or send me the link for the solution if you know of one.

To be clear, I m running

Mac Pro Dual 2.0 gHz
500 GB Hard Drive (Lacie Firewire External)
150 GB Hard Drive (Internal, Mac)
1GB RAM
MBox (Original Light Blue USB Model)
Pro Tools LE 8.0

No Third Party Plug Ins

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:38 AM

It not really relevant of which OS/computer ur running so therefore the thread I led u too is irrelevant in that sense; A lot of people had different issues with this both the more common was either a external hard &/or firewire card...I did solve my problem going only to Sata drives but PLEASE READ THROUGH the post like all else & see where there may be a commonality for u...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 02-25-2009, 08:47 AM

Thanks for trying to help. As I mentioned I did read through the posts you sent and didn't see a definitive answer to my problem. Am I missing something?

Based on what I read, I will start by getting an SATA (Serial ATA) internal drive for PT files.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:42 AM
Avid

Keybeeetsss is correct - those threads have a lot of info, but you should read them through entirely, as all of the noise blast issues were resolved in one manner or another and all solutions are in those threads.

Quick suggestions:

1. Go through the optimizations in the General Troubleshooting thread
2. Backup and erase your drive, copy the data back and test again.
3. Test with a different drive
4. Get more RAM (I doubt if this is the ultimate cause, but 1GB with PT8 is the bare minumum - 2GB is better, 4GB even more so)
5. Make sure ALL installed plug-ins are up to date - this is covered in the General Troubleshooting thread, but bears repeating.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:16 AM

Thank you both for taking the time to help. I have ordered a new SATA drive, upgrading to 4GB of RAM and have gone through the General TroubleShooting page item by item. <http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=54888>

Will post results after getting new memory/drive installed. Keeping fingers crossed.

Again, thank you.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 AM

Kool; yeah, thing is there is really no definitive answer so of course we weren't in no way being rude or anything(I guess I should say I wasn't; of course the Digitech Man won't be) But yeah that should help though...

ps. U can send that $3 to my paypal acct.

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 02-25-2009, 02:45 PM

I didn't want to start a separate thread, as I have a 'similar' related issue and wondered if the fixes are applicable...

I'll open a PT session, everything is fine, then open up a couple of additional programs (maybe a web browser, or Word to print out a script), and when I go back to PT and enable a track I get blasted with white noise.
I've been thinking it's a RAM issue, but I'm not sure.

Anyone?...
Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM

The white noise burst has nothing to do with your computer. I had the EXACT same thing happening that I couldn't figure out. It's your original MBox's firmware. Upgrade it to the most recent version and all will be well.