Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-01-2004, 05:42 AM

Default Focusrite Preamps and Digi 002 Preamps ??

Would someone please help me with this. I have the Digi 002 Rack with a Triton Rack and the OS is Windows XP Professional. I am planning to buy a Preamp like the Focusrite Octopre with the 8 Pre. My question is, can I piggy bank the 4 available Pre of the digi to the Focusrite to have only one control. I don't know if I explain this well (what I meant is can I hook up all the 8 Pre of the Focusrite to all the 8 inputs of the digi so I can use only one Preamp device.)

Thanks very much,
Reynold
Old 03-01-2004, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Focusrite Preamps and Digi 002 Preamps ??

RJ,
Very simple. The octapre runs with a LightPipe (ADAT) output. All you need to do is plug that thing into the Lightpipe on the back of the Digi002, set the Clock to External (ADAT) and you now have 8 more pres. Then you go out and get a SP/DIF direct box or a POD or something like that and you have 2 more inputs. 18 total.

Go to my site and look in the HELP menu. There is an older diagram of my setup that I was running. It has since changed, but that will help you out...

Good luck,
-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 03-01-2004, 07:26 AM

IntelDoc,
Thanks very much. This note of yours is very helpful. I can now go and buy this preamp with confidence and with this note also I understand that it would be better to buy one with ADAT on it.
Once again, thanks very much.

Reynold
Old 03-01-2004, 07:56 AM

Not better, but that way, you can get the other 8 inputs.... Other ways that are even better would be:

1: Buy the APOGEE Rosetta 800 (8 channel A/D Converter) ( $2500.00 give or take )
2. Buy the Vintech 473 (4 channel Analog Mic PRE) ($3000.00 with power supply)
3. Buy the API 3124 (4 Channel Mic PRE) ($2500.00)
4. Hook them into the Apogee 800
5. Run that bad boy out to the Digi002 lightpipe

WHAT YA GET:

8 KILLER Mic Pre's and the best conversion you can probably get right now...

Talked to a guy in Nashville who told me the best bang for the buck with the 002 was to get a better A/D converter.

That above is a lot of cash though, but good for LONG -TERM upgrades when you go HD down the road.

This is my plan now I think.....

Just a few thoughts.

The Octapre or even the Digimax LT will help out tremendously though.

Later,
-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 03-01-2004, 09:19 AM

actual you have to purchase the the Digital option for the Octopre which is around 250 bucks
if u only need 8 inputs at once u can use the Octopre and use the Analog outs of the Octopre and go into the 8 Line Inputs on the back of the 002,

u might be better off looking into a Presonus Digimax LT. i was orginally looking at the Ocotpre too until i found out about having to buy the digiatal option and also realizing that it did not have Inserts on it.

the digimax LT is 800 with the A/D card built in and it has inserts so u can use outboard gear while going to tape if u need it or if u ever get another pre amp u can just use the return on the insert and use it as just an A/D converter by bypassing the pre's, then u would also have 12 pres because u can use the 4 on the 002 at the same time