Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 09-19-2011, 12:44 PM

Angry Play/Bounce Ignores Selected Area

Hi,

I've had an ongoing problem with intermittent extreme digital distortion when recording - it sounds like a bitcrusher set to max or bad CD skipping regardless of level. I use PT Pref and Database Helper to delete prefs and other files every time before I open PT. This seems extreme, but it works <most> of the time. But recently PT's been acting weird -
- "Play" no longer recognizes selected areas - it no longer loops or plays from start to end of selection. Play begins either where the playhead stopped previously or where I've clicked in the timeline header depending on which Pref I've selected and continues to the end of the project unless i stop it.
- my memory location selections (not markers) that I've set no longer work (nothing is selected)
- when I try to bounce down, the selected area is ignored and the bounce always starts at the beginning of the timeline, so basically I can't mix down...

These problems have gradually worsened. I've used workarounds for as long as i could but now I basically can't mix. Should I reinstall PT? Reformat HD? I wish I could afford an upgrad to a new machine and version of PT but that's not feasible yet.

Thanks for your help,

Dean

PT 7.1
OS 10.4.11
DP 1.25 Ghz PPC G4
1.75 Gb RAM
M-Audio Firewire 410
Driver v 1.9
Old 09-19-2011, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Play/Bounce Ignores Selected Area

If trashing the pref didn't do anything for you, I'd try to do a reinstall of PT and it's drivers first. If that doesn't fix it you might have to wipe and start a new.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-19-2011, 07:59 PM

Thanks big time for your reply. Is there an easy way to uninstall PT or a utility that will remove all prefs and databases and such or do i just manually remove anything associated with PT? I hope I can still get the 7.1 update...

Thanks again for the the reply - it's like a light in the darkness.

D
Old 09-19-2011, 08:00 PM

You mention drivers. Do you mean the M-audio driver? Any others?

Thanks>>>
Old 09-22-2011, 11:53 AM

Happy to help.

There are some utilities that might help you here with the Tech Support Folder

Beside that the manual way to trash the preference would be like so
Quote:
-Go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences
-Delete 'com.digidesign.protoolsLE.plist', 'DAE Prefs' (folder), 'DigiSetup.OSX' and 'Pro Tools preferences'.
-Empty trash, then restart the computer.
If you uninstall everything, and install it from your cd, (if it's 7.1) then you wont have any problems. Else I would check your account and personal folder on the avid main site. If you registered your products, every downloadable that you are eligible to should be listed there.

The distortion you mention makes me think of a bad m-audio driver. It happened to me with the fast track usb, after some time (months) the driver would get corrupted and then distortion would start to pop up where I would have to unplug the fast track and replug it, often causing a BSOD. Uninstalling the driver, re-downloading a new version of it (even if it's not updated) and installing it, usually fixed the problem.

Wave-T.com
Old 09-23-2011, 04:12 PM

That's so great! Thanks a lot for the nuggets of info and the Tech Support Utility. Can't wait to check it out - and download a new m-audio driver - though i'm pretty sure i did it. it could have become corrupted again so i'll try it again.

Thanks again,

Dean