Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2017, 01:18 AM

Default Perpetual license

Whats the general opinion on the perpetual license idea? I let my plan run out and now I need to pay 299US for a perpetual license and 99US per year for upgrade plan. problem i have is that Im paying for upgrades that I may not/probably see any benefit in. What can't i just pay each time i want to upgrade? Quite frankly I haven't seen an upgrade that has really been a whole better for ages. The same problems i always have are always there - and these are, it seems, common problems judging from this forum. Avid really should as well, do something about its Midi. I can't really believe any one who is a serious user of midi would use it.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Perpetual license

Try being an HD user... I have let my plan lapse and am locked into 12.7 for the next few years at least. Once the updates meet the price of reinstatement I'll be back. Were the prices reasonable that would not be the case so alas...

Seriously who needs to mix for Atmos? I make games for crying out loud and I don't need it...

I am not alone in this either.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:58 PM

What did upgrading PT cost back in the days before the current license style?
Old 07-21-2017, 05:31 PM

I bought my first version of ProTools HD which was v7.3 for $200. When 8 came out it was $250. Reasonable, but you had to have their hardware. When 9 came out they decoupled from their hardware and pricing went stupid. I skipped 9 altogether. I upgraded my 96 IO through their hardware exchange program to get a 16x16 HD IO (held onto my input expanded 192 still in use) which still cost me about $4k. Then upgrading to 10 cost another granny (plus 2 different Intel Mac Pros along the way). Spent $599 for the first plan update and $399 for the next round of plan updates. Nope not doing it again until I hit the wall for OS or some such.