Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2011, 12:44 AM

Default Why is my PT 9 lagging and always freezing?!

I'm running PT 9.0.1 on Windows 7. I've already posted my Sandra report here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=290700. Ever since I've installed PT 9 I've been having problems. I've ran into 2 errors already when saving and closing a session, Pro Tools is always "not responding" and freezes. When I rewire FL Studio with PT9 it lags and always ends up freezing or crashing my PC.

The first time I re wired FL studio and loaded up a virtual instrument in FL my computer completely froze accompanied with a buzzing sound and I had to manually power off my computer as I couldn't move my mouse or even run task manager to end the process. Two other times I re wired and Pro tools ended up "not responding" again while navigating through both DAW's and I had to alt+ctrl+del to shut it down...after that I stopped trying. And for what it's worth, FL studio has always and still runs flawlessly for me.

My pc is not infected with anything, I just ran a scan with Malware bytes earlier today. I am running my PT sessions from my External HD (Seagate 1TB GoFlex), PT 9 is installed on my C drive. This is really frustrating me as I have to stick to FL Studio solely because I can't run PT 9 without running into problems. Why is this happening? Should I simply try to uninstall everything and re-install?
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Why is my PT 9 lagging and always freezing?!

Was this an upgrade from an earlier version or a new install?

Look at the plug-in compatibility guide at the top of this page. Old plugs will ruin your day.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:48 PM

Upgraded from 7.3. I haven't run any plugs in PT 9 besides Xpand 2 and the plugs I attempted to load up in FL studio while it was re wired with PT...I don't see how this should be an issue. Can the plugs merely being installed and the .dpm 's being in the plug-ins folder be a recipe for crashing and lag?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD99 View Post
Upgraded from 7.3. I haven't run any plugs in PT 9 besides Xpand 2 and the plugs I attempted to load up in FL studio while it was re wired with PT...I don't see how this should be an issue. Can the plugs merely being installed and the .dpm 's being in the plug-ins folder be a recipe for crashing and lag?
Yes. If they are in the plug in folder they are installed

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-25-2011, 03:08 AM

If you are using digi 003 the driver for pt9 is crap waiting for avid to post new one!

Check this out:

Quote:
Hello everyone,

I'm Bob Langlie, VP of Customer Support for AVID Audio. My team is responsible for supporting the Pro Tools product line and I wanted to post here to apologize for the difficulty we have had getting this issue properly identified and sorted for our customers.

First off, the freezing issue is driver related, and we are currently working on fixing this issue and getting a working driver posted for your use.

We had difficulty reproducing this at first, and made the incorrect assumption that it was set up and configuration related as opposed to being a driver issue. This assumption, combined with the increased support volumes associated with the release of Pro Tools 9 and the holidays put us way behind in determining that this was in fact a bug. This is no excuse, just the facts as they currently stand.

We have recently reproduced this driver bug in our test environment and are working on a fix. Once we get the driver working correctly we will require a fair amount of testing to make sure that we have a solid fix, and that we have not introduced any additional problems. I do not have an estimated time for getting this posted as we don’t have a clear fix yet, but I can assure you that this is the highest priority for our driver team, and we understand the need to get this corrected as soon as possible. We are also looking at the possibility of posting a beta driver when available, so that we can provide something quicker, while we complete regression testing.

Again I apologize for the time this has taken, I understand the frustration this has caused, and I appreciate your patience. I will update this thread weekly as we work towards getting this new driver posted as soon as possible.

Regards,

Bob Langlie
Old 01-25-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
If you are using digi 003 the driver for pt9 is crap waiting for avid to post new one!

Check this out:
It should be pointed out that most of the 003 users are not having this problem.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 01-25-2011, 03:21 AM

To the OP: A quick look at your other thread shows at least one thing thats known to upset PT. You should disable Magic.ISO virtual drive and see if it makes a difference. Virtual drives have been known to conflict with PT. Some more details on the GoFlex would be good to know. The throughput of external drives can vary greatly depending in internal chipset and connection.

While not PT9 specific there have been instances of nVidea card's not playing nice with Pro Tools. You might try uninstalling the nVidea drivers and using the regular Windows Default Video Driver to check this.

A clean uninstall of Pro Tools and a reinstall along with deleting the Prefs is always a good way to start troubleshooting. Also resetting your I/O to the defaults in the I/O section of the prefs has been known to clear up weird behavior.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 01-27-2011, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
To the OP: A quick look at your other thread shows at least one thing thats known to upset PT. You should disable Magic.ISO virtual drive and see if it makes a difference. Virtual drives have been known to conflict with PT. Some more details on the GoFlex would be good to know. The throughput of external drives can vary greatly depending in internal chipset and connection.

While not PT9 specific there have been instances of nVidea card's not playing nice with Pro Tools. You might try uninstalling the nVidea drivers and using the regular Windows Default Video Driver to check this.

A clean uninstall of Pro Tools and a reinstall along with deleting the Prefs is always a good way to start troubleshooting. Also resetting your I/O to the defaults in the I/O section of the prefs has been known to clear up weird behavior.
I uninstalled Magic.Iso. I uninstalled plug-ins that weren't compatible with PT 9. Here's the sandra rep. of my drives.

Storage Devices
WDC WD5000AAKS-75V0A0 (500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache) : 466GB (C:)
SAMSUNG HD103SJ (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache) : 932GB (D:)
Generic Ultra HS-SD/MMC (USB) : N/A (G:)
Seagate FA GoFlex Desk 1TB (USB) : 932GB (H:)
TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-H653G (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : N/A (E:)
GPMPWDO K9Y3WTA38 (SCSI, BD-R, HD-DVD-R, DVD+-R-DL, CD-R) : N/A (F:)

Logical Storage Devices
RECOVERY : 10GB (NTFS)
D (D:) : 932GB (NTFS) @ SAMSUNG HD103SJ (1TB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 32MB Cache)
GoFlx (H:) : 932GB (NTFS) @ Seagate FA GoFlex Desk 1TB (USB)
OS (C:) : 456GB (NTFS) @ WDC WD5000AAKS-75V0A0 (500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, NCQ, 16MB Cache)
Removable Drive (G:) : N/A @ Generic Ultra HS-SD/MMC (USB)
Optical Drive (E:) : N/A @ TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-H653G (SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
Optical Drive (F:) : N/A @ GPMPWDO K9Y3WTA38 (SCSI, BD-R, HD-DVD-R, DVD+-R-DL, CD-R)

What else needs to be known about the GoFlex drive? I mean it's a standard 1TB external that I'm sure many people are using with PT, logically seems pretty odd imo that this would cause any problems, but who knows it seems like everything causes some sort of issue with PT Anyway, quick question about plug in compatibility before I go on with what happened...I uninstalled a plug-in - the Korg Legacy Collection - because on the plug-in compatibility page it only listed the Digital edition and not the analog.

But then I remembered a couple years back I was using the plug-in with PT 7.4 just fine. And when I looked up another plug-in, ReFx Nexus 2...it wasn't listed either. But Nexus is a plug-in made compatible with RTAS...and it actually opens up fine in PT....did they just forget to list it?

Well after I uninstalled everything I ran PT again...I was opening up some plug-in's and just messing around in a session, no problems (albeit I wasn't doing much)... until I re-wire FL Studio. FL studio is already showing 1500 mb used once I re-wire? things are laggy...I open up one of my least cpu intensive plug-in's in FL Studio and when I play the sounds there's extensive static and artifacts. I close it, open one of my more cpu intensive plug-ins that actually opened up fine in PT and it's the same thing all over again. Computer comes to a complete freeze, can't move my mouse, can't run task manager or anything for that matter and I have to manually shut off my computer.

This is getting very frustrating, I need to know WHY this is happening and what I can do to fix this. One of the main reasons I bought PT 9 was because I wanted to use Xpand! 2 as my main workstation and compliment it with FL Studio 9, and I can't do that. Again, I have never had any issues with FL Studio and it has always run perfectly for me. I'll post this issue over at image-line as well to see if they are aware of anyone having such severe issues like this but I'm assuming the core of the problem is on PT's side.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bta View Post
I'm using the Mbox 2 Driver under the Mbox 2 Family drivers..
Old 01-28-2011, 03:45 AM

help