Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-20-2008, 06:19 PM

Default LE7.4 - how to switch PMM from pre- to post-fader?

Dear engineering colleagues,

This issue is driving me nuts since I'm using ProTools LE. I looked in the manual, tried to track down video tutorials, tried to find a trail on several message boards but either I'm blind and didn't find anything regarding that issue, it's so obvious that I just overlooked it, or worse... it can't be done.

First of all, I come from the Cubase realm and I love how the channelstrip behaves. It's freaking me out however that the peak meter in ProTools is always pre-fader, not post.

As Example: I have an audio file that has a peak maximum of -0.1dB or something along those lines. But if I turn down the fader, instead of showing me what the output reading is now, it sticks to the file's "peak" - in short, it's reading the peak before the fader (pre-mode).

This is essentially bad because if I insert an EQ or a compressor, the sound is boosted/cut and I can only read the "true" output signal strength (after I turned down the fader of the channelstrip). if I run it through the master bus. Problem here: if I use one of the Bombfactory plugins, I need to drive them in a certain way to get a decent sound coloration. So if the signal is hot already, and I insert the comp, drive the output gain (again, for color), but turn down the volume knob, it still shows me "dude, your track clips!" - but if I turn down the comp's output gain, I loose the wanted effect.

I want to change that behavior from PFL mode (pre fader listening) to regular mode that I'm used from Analog Mixer Desks, Cubase and Logic alike. But I can't find it where (I can only set the peak fall-times), or if it's even possible.

While I was using a ProControl1 at the engineering academy (PT7.3) a couple of months ago, it showed me the correct peak respondings from the meter in both the control unit and ProTools HD (meaning: post-fader). But why is it that my LE shows me the signal pre-fader?

This is slowly driving me nuts.

I love ProTools for the Bombfactory stuff (though don't like that some has to be added "offline" rather than it's usable in real time), the Timestretching and the simplicity in terms of routing, but I really, really hate some odds and ends like CPU usage, the limited delay, that I need a wrapper to use VST plugins and now recently the channelstrip peak meter behavior, too. This is totally nonsense!

Help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 PM

Option>Pre-Fader Metering

Please remember that plug-ins on an audio track are PRE fader and on the Master they are POST fader. Sends can be Pre or Post fader.

Use the Trim plug-in as the first insert on an audio track and automate the levels for the plug-in or bus the audio track to an Aux track and insert your plug-ins there to have any volume automation on the audio track affect the audio going through a plug-in.

Cheers,
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
Option>Pre-Fader Metering
That simple? Geez I must be really blind. Now it's responding like I'm used to. Thanks.

Quote:
Please remember that plug-ins on an audio track are PRE fader and on the Master they are POST fader. Sends can be Pre or Post fader.
Why is it on themaster bus "post"? Any special reason for that? Can that maybe switched around?

I've seen the tutorial videos from Charles Dye, and he uses plugins there. But if the master bus is all "post" fader, then everything I feed into the plugins will be affected by my master fader.

Also nothing like I'm used to from other hosts if I want to use a compressor on the master bus for that "SSL channelstrip" effect.

Quote:
Use the Trim plug-in as the first insert on an audio track and automate the levels for the plug-in or bus the audio track to an Aux track and insert your plug-ins there to have any volume automation on the audio track affect the audio going through a plug-in.

Again, automating the volume before I go into the chain of plugins, affects the general sound.

But, that switch is definitely helping - finally if I may add. Thanks for that.