Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-19-2002, 02:03 AM

Default Sample Rate Conversion

I read a recent thread that stated when dithering, with say an L1 in a session that was set at 24 bit at 41.1khz, there is no need to convert after bounce when going to cd. Now I think I understand, but my question is if I have converted at 'tweakhead', is it gonna affect my master?

So I think I converted the info. when there was no need to.
I think it was Kamurah that explained this.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:33 AM

Default Re: Sample Rate Conversion

Quote:
Originally posted by Severe:
I read a recent thread that stated when dithering, with say an L1 in a session that was set at 24 bit at 41.1khz, there is no need to convert after bounce when going to cd. Now I think I understand, but my question is if I have converted at 'tweakhead', is it gonna affect my master?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Some points assuming your sessions are 24-bit:

1) The L1 must be set to 16 bits if you're going to print it to CD.

2) Tweakhead ( and the others "better" etc) ONLY affects Samplerateconversion.

3) If you choose 16 bit in the bouncewindow and not having a dither-plug on your masterfader your mix will NOT get dithered. It'll be truncated.

4) The different bit-depth options that you have in the bouncewindow is ONLY for deciding the fileformat so the computer will create (convert) a file in this format. This conversion has nothing to do with the conversion settings "tweakhead" etc, i.e it doesn't matter for the sound quiality which setting you have as long as you're not doing SRC (see point 2).

Good luck!

-Robert
Old 04-20-2002, 12:45 AM

Thank you Robert.

Yes, I had the L1 set to dither down to 16 bit and the original session was at 41.1khz. So it was a complete waste of time waiting for the 'tweakhead' conversion. So, what should it be set at in this case, "best" since it doesnt matter? And did it have any affect on my master since I had it set at 'tweakhead'. I wouldnt think so, considering it didnt really convert anything.?
Old 04-20-2002, 01:55 PM

anybody?
Old 04-20-2002, 05:26 PM

Just leave it on the fastest setting.

There's no need for "Tweakhead" or any of the other high quality samplerate conversion methods.

Seeing as all the options you have when you bounce to disk are either for lowering the bit depth (something you're already doing on your master fader already with the L1 plug-in) or converting the samplerate it doesn't matter what setting you're using because if your whole session is at 44.1Khz 24 bit and the L1 plug-in is already reducing the bitdepth to 16 bit you don't need to bother wasting your time with the slower convert after bounce options, it should be able to bounce the mix in realtime for you.