Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2010, 09:40 PM

Default Beginner's Macbookpro and Pro Tools question

First of all I apologize if this has been answered many times, but I can't really seem to find the answer I'm looking for, since I don't really know how to ask it.

Here I go: I'm about to buy a macbook pro 2.66 to use with pro tools. I'm currently working on a PC, but I need a more powerfull machine. But I've read somewhere in my search about needing an external harddrive to record on? I have an old version og protools LE and use an Mbox mini. Will this work the same way on the mac as it does on the PC? Or do I need to buy something else?

Thank you for your patience

Nick
Old 12-19-2010, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Beginner's Macbookpro and Pro Tools question

It is no different than a pc in that a separate had is advised. That said I have done smaller sessions with just the internal drive. YMMV and external drives are cheap. Oxford chipset firewire drives of course.

B
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 PM

These work great and are reasonably priced:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../MEAQ7500GB16/
Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 AM

What version of Pro Tools do you have? It may not be compatible with your new mac.
Eleven Rack, Axiom 61
Old 12-20-2010, 09:32 AM

Ok thanks guys.

So is it really just a completely normal USB external harddrive I need? Cause I have one already. Or is it something created just for Mac/recording Audio?

I really can't remember my version, I believe it's LE 7.something, But I live in europe and is currently visiting USA, and want to buy a macbook home with me. That's why I needed to be sure.

But I have run Pro tools Strike without any problems (except a sometimes slow performance due to the slow PC), and from what I can see on the Strike Compatibility page. Pro Tools LE 7.0 win XP, is the oldest version which runs with Strike. Will I be good then? Or what version do I need?

Strike Competibility Page:

http://www3.digidesign.com/index.cfm...icles&eid=2899

Thank you for your time!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:57 AM

"just a completely normal USB external harddrive I need"

Nope... It is highly recommended that you use a Firewire drive. Not USB. They are also at OWC (macsales.com) or newegg.com or other vendors, and are cheap. Save yourself a lot of head/heartache and don't record to your internal drive, and don't try to record using USB. I have seen people get away with it, but it's not stable, and will bite you in the butt.

Best,

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x Summit Audio 2BA-221>TLA 50>EQF-100
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
http://humpbackmedia.net[/SIZE]
Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humpback View Post
"just a completely normal USB external harddrive I need"

Nope... It is highly recommended that you use a Firewire drive. Not USB. They are also at OWC (macsales.com) or newegg.com or other vendors, and are cheap. Save yourself a lot of head/heartache and don't record to your internal drive, and don't try to record using USB. I have seen people get away with it, but it's not stable, and will bite you in the butt.

Best,

Nathan
To be a bit more specific, use an approved firewire drive with Mac and Windows XP or Vista. With Windows 7, USB2 drives are now the Avid recomended choice. As always, if you are running a desktop machine, adding internal drives(or eSATA) will net the best performance. I do all my work on internals(I run 5 drives in my computer) and leave externals for backup/archive and transfers. Using an HFS+ external allows easy transfer of files between my Windows 7 machine and my neighbor's Mac/DP system.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-20-2010, 01:43 PM

Albee is quite right... though I didn't add any of that additional info as the OP wants a MBP, so no Win 7 and therefore no USB2... and I guess I could have been more specific - recording to the internal system drive is the no-no. Again, though, since it's a MBP in question here, the only internal drive is the system drive.
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA
Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM

Ok thank you very much guys. You made me understand the whole thing now :)

But now 2 new questions have come to mind:

I'm planning on using the MBP as my home amateur studio, but is that a bad idea? Since the Mac is quite expensixe would there be another solution that would suit me better you think?

And Humpback you wrote:" as the OP wants a MBP..." I guess the OP is me, but what does it stand for?

But once again thanks for all of your kind replies.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:11 PM

OP = Original Poster

I've known a lot of folks who very successfully have used a MBP as the main 'engine' for their studios, and have even used mine for the same purpose - and mine is a couple generations old. There might be some cheaper Apple solutions, but a lot - IMO - depends what your needs are. Can you let us know what sorts of sessions you plan on running? Also looking back at the thread, I see that you have version 7.x. Getting a new Apple product of any kind will have Snow Leopard (10.6.x) installed, and 7.x will not run with it, so you'll have to upgrade your version of PT as well.

Nathan
PT 2019 and 10.14
UA Apollo Quad
Outboard:
2 x dbx 165a
x Shadow Hills GAMA