Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2022, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Universal Audio goes native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Probably for the DSP, but it looks like the Native plugins will be subscription only.
Except, again, you can just buy DSP as normal and only use native (as long as you own some kind of UAD-2 hardware).

There's long been a silly taunt about UAD hardware being dongles, which had zero basis in fact. However it is becoming more true now. And it's not even a dongle you need to plug in or worry about becoming obsolete through OS compatibility - you can just keep it in a drawer.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-02-2022, 03:32 AM

The UAD plugins look good, but I have always found alternatives for one reason or another.

Having recently moved on from a DSP based Pro Tools set up, the new Silicon Macs make additional hardware look like a thing of the past, baring specific kinds of setups.

Also, I'm not keen on subscription. It would be great to just be able to buy the plugin you want and be free to go about your business.
Old 04-02-2022, 11:04 AM

Really positive development from UA, I’ve recieved a few of the first native plugins (free) and they sound good as ever. I actually got rid of my original 224 when the plugin came out, if you ever want that sound, there it is!

One of the lockdown problems revealed was that I was mixing remotely with co workers UAD had to go out the window , whereas we all had a shared ILOK account to move assets around no problem, but the UAD hardware shipping around was not going to work, so didn’t use them for almost 2 years and was considering dropping out of the system, but now will stick around. Would be fantastic to have my ten years of plugs in both native and UAD DSP, hope they can sort it out with the licensors. Does throw into question the need for any UAD DSP further down the line though with new mac power etc

Another positive is the ilok auth has 2 activations on one account so can have on another ilok remotely thus helping the workflow above.

Thing to consider - these are a new set of plugins labelled “UADx” in PT so currently you can’t swap between hardware and native, like we were used to in rtas and hd world, i imagine there will be a strong chorus of voices asking for the interchangeability but for us long time users a great bonus to have at all.

EDIT: also i got an ILOK asset for the ATR-102 which i own on DSP but no mention of that in the new native releases, i guess there will be more coming soon
Old 04-02-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimmons View Post
Really positive development from UA, I’ve recieved a few of the first native plugins (free) and they sound good as ever. I actually got rid of my original 224 when the plugin came out, if you ever want that sound, there it is!

One of the lockdown problems revealed was that I was mixing remotely with co workers UAD had to go out the window , whereas we all had a shared ILOK account to move assets around no problem, but the UAD hardware shipping around was not going to work, so didn’t use them for almost 2 years and was considering dropping out of the system, but now will stick around. Would be fantastic to have my ten years of plugs in both native and UAD DSP, hope they can sort it out with the licensors. Does throw into question the need for any UAD DSP further down the line though with new mac power etc

Another positive is the ilok auth has 2 activations on one account so can have on another ilok remotely thus helping the workflow above.

Thing to consider - these are a new set of plugins labelled “UADx” in PT so currently you can’t swap between hardware and native, like we were used to in rtas and hd world, i imagine there will be a strong chorus of voices asking for the interchangeability but for us long time users a great bonus to have at all.

EDIT: also i got an ILOK asset for the ATR-102 which i own on DSP but no mention of that in the new native releases, i guess there will be more coming soon
Let's hope they address the Native/DSP swap ability. That is a MAJOR downside if yourself is using a combo of DSP and native, and goto another studio that doesn't have DSP and you loose all of your settings and plugins.

Is there no way to switch from DSP to Native within the plugin window?
Maybe that is coming.

Obviously, if you were taking a DSP session to another UAD studio that didn't own the plugin you'd be out of luck anyway.

Noice to know you get 2 auths. I wonder if it is dependent on the number of DSP's you own.

If you have the 102 asset already, I am guessing it is coming out next since wasn't it released right around the same time as the Studer?
I just remember getting both of them at the same time.

Thanks for the update
Old 04-02-2022, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Except, again, you can just buy DSP as normal and only use native (as long as you own some kind of UAD-2 hardware).

There's long been a silly taunt about UAD hardware being dongles, which had zero basis in fact. However it is becoming more true now. And it's not even a dongle you need to plug in or worry about becoming obsolete through OS compatibility - you can just keep it in a drawer.
Yes that is true, but I was speaking in terms of those who do not own UAD DSP.

For the UAD DSP users, they get the added benefit of getting the Native version along with their DSP version.
Old 04-03-2022, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiolex1 View Post
Yes that is true, but I was speaking in terms of those who do not own UAD DSP.

For the UAD DSP users, they get the added benefit of getting the Native version along with their DSP version.
The second hand hardware market might get interesting. Newcomers will want the cheapest thing they can by and register, existing owners might be able to start getting rid of some of it.

It's a funny old situation. Subscription native is open to all, a la carte only if you have a bit of hardware in a cupboard. That must be intentional, to encourage as many as possible into subs, but I'm not sure in the long run it is sustainable.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-03-2022, 09:16 AM

No compatibility between Uad DSP version preset with Native preset!

Native version of UAD don't load instead DSP version saved Protools session?

Why ?
Old 04-03-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koka View Post
No compatibility between Uad DSP version preset with Native preset!

Native version of UAD don't load instead DSP version saved Protools session?

Why ?
I may not be following your post but if you're asking whether parameters from a DSP version of UAD plugins can be applied to the Native UADx versions, yes they can. There are Copy and Paste buttons at the top of the plugin window for that very purpose (the plugin window's own copy/paste functions do not work for UAD).
Old 04-03-2022, 03:27 PM

The lack of easily interchangeable DSP & Native versions really seems to punish UAD DSP owners first and foremost. Going through a session and copying settings, replacing plugins and pasting settings seems like a right nightmare. Why didn't they just have a single plugin type with a simple DSP/Native button?

I have already nabbed a $100 UAD-2 Solo card in anticipation of getting my mitts on 2 or 3 of their plugins when native versions appear... but from comments I have read from Universal Audio representatives, this may be an exceptionally long and drawn out process. Comments of 'even if we do one a month... it will take years'.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimmons View Post
They really nailed that, IMO.

Quote:
Good to know - thanks! I also have the ATR-102 as well as the Studer, so I look forward to being able to run that natively, too. Neither one has shown up for me yet. But I did see a notice on the UA site earlier today that said they’re still rolling the native licenses out, and that they hope to have everything completed by 4-4-22.

PT 2023.6 Ultimate (Perpetual) | Avid Carbon | M1 Max Mac Studio; 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.

PT 2023.6 Studio (Perpetual) | M1 MacBook Air; 16 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD, macOS 13.4.1 Ventura.