Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2014, 01:50 AM

Default Video satellite le/intensity shuttle thunderbolt sync drift

Hi

We are using a video satellite le on a Mac mini with intensity shuttle thunderbolt. We are getting sync drift over time. Main system is 10.3.9 on mac pro. Now I know we don't have any video ref etc going in and I assume this is the issue but the intensity has no video ref input and I'd need to get an expansion chassis to put in a sync io. But I see other people have this working without all that so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get this to work? Or any helpful tips.

Thanks

Garret.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Video satellite le/intensity shuttle thunderbolt sync drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret View Post
Hi

We are using a video satellite le on a Mac mini with intensity shuttle thunderbolt. We are getting sync drift over time. Main system is 10.3.9 on mac pro. Now I know we don't have any video ref etc going in and I assume this is the issue but the intensity has no video ref input and I'd need to get an expansion chassis to put in a sync io. But I see other people have this working without all that so I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to get this to work? Or any helpful tips.

Thanks

Garret.
A sync HD and a gen-lockable card a common video ref are the only way to maintain sync over time. No way around that at this point.
There's no way to accurately sync two different machines without locking them to a common clock.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:37 AM

Can you install SyncIO on the main rig to lock to the satellite's analog video output?
Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 AM

Thanks guys. That's what I thought unfortunately it's literally just a Mac mini with the intensity shuttle out of it going to projector so no way to insert video ref in the chain. I guess we'll need to get some thunderbolt expansion chassis and a deck link sdi or similar that can take ref. Sound feasible?
Old 06-28-2014, 05:31 AM

Shuttle's analog video output could be used as master clock, similar to the way kdarbyshirebryant is using an AES/SPDIF output.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:44 AM

Thanks Postman.

Worth a shot but I don't think the Intensity shuttle outputs Hdmi and composite video at the same time. I'll have a look.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:41 AM

I can't talk about the Intensity shuttle, but Decklink Extreme HD outputs composite, if you play SD quicktime. If you play HD quicktime, the composite outputs "strange things"...

best,
Kuba
Old 02-27-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Hi

Thanks

Garret.
How much drift, over how much time ?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Thanks Postman.

Worth a shot but I don't think the Intensity shuttle outputs Hdmi and composite video at the same time. I'll have a look.
It uses all available outputs simultaneously.