Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2015, 10:41 AM

Default Stems vs Multitracks

Added link: https://www.izotope.com/en/learn/ste...ifference.html

This came up (yet) again in my dealings with clients so I thought I'd create a thread about it.

I am increasingly hearing people (musicians and "engineers") using the word Stem to refer to files when what they really mean is Multitrack.

So, to be clear, in the music world: (post guys, even though we stole the term from you, make your own thread in the Post section! )

Stem: is a file containing a submix of (usually) "like" elements such as 12 individual drum tracks being sub mixed down to a stereo file, with all the associated processing to make them sound more or less complete. Maybe it's drums and percussion, or even so far as drums and bass being called rhythm section stem. Or all guitar tracks for a song being sub mixed together into a stereo file labeled Gtr Stem. You get the idea.

Multitrack: These are the original tracks from the recording session and they usually have one "element" per track. i.e. Kick In, Kick Out, SnTop, SnBot, Hat, Ride, Bass DI, Bass Mic, Gtr-57, Lead Gtr-R121, etc. Of course it is possible that if multiple mics were bussed to one track that there could be more than one element on a track of a multitrack. I do this with gtrs sometimes... multiple mics bussed to a track to create 1 sound. This is still a multitrack because it was done "live" during the recording session.

Got it?

Please don't tell me your friend told you what stems were or you saw them listed this way on a website... They're wrong. That includes the files referenced here

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Stems vs Multitracks

hear hear

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-20-2015, 04:35 PM

i usually just use the term "submixes"
now when talking to bands;
they seem to get that.

similar to the confusion
that can arise from saying bring
24 bit "uncompressed" files...
e
Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM

+1 yes!! A mix engineer we're using asked for stems when he meant 'multitrack' drove me crazy!
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 01-20-2015, 05:07 PM

Just like every daw in the world from cubase to samplitude being called "pro tools"
Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
Just like every daw in the world from cubase to samplitude being called "pro tools"
Not really the same thing.

What you're saying is akin to all facial tissue being called Kleenex™ Pro Tools is the kleenex of DAWs!!

With stems/multitracks, people are simply using the WRONG term.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 PM

But words like "stem" sound so professional!

They make you sound like a "real" engineer...unless you're referring to multi-tracks...in which case using "stems" makes you sound like a total poser...or just a total idiot!

I had a "rather spirited discussion" on another board regarding the terms "wet" and "dry"...

Back when I was learning about this stuff, "dry" meant just the raw track, while "wet" referred to the track plus any effects that will be used.

But...

It turns out that, when referring to sampled drums, "wet" means the room mikes are being used in the mix, while "dry" means the room mikes are not being used. The presence or absence of effects does not enter into the equation.

Oh, and that assumes the term "wet" is not being used to describe some nebulous stylistic concept. Or, as one of the rocket surgeons on that thread said, "the drums sound like they're wet". Huh?

I have seen "Blue Man Group" several times, ergo, I have heard "drums that sound like they're wet"...as part of their act they used drums that had the space between the batter head and the top of the rim filled with a "paint-like" substance...it makes a great visual effect, but sonically...it makes a great visual effect, which is why the drumset player doubles the licks.

There are times I am glad I'm old, and won't be around much longer...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 01-20-2015, 06:00 PM

If they are asking for stems, just give them stems. Let them figure out on their own that they don't know what they are talking about.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 01-20-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
With stems/multitracks, people are simply using the WRONG term.
and being arrogant about it

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-20-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
and being arrogant about it
Tell me about it!!!

Been a few times I've tried to politely correct people and I get a bunch of grief.