Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2013, 06:02 AM

Default PT Video out HDMI on Mac Mini / iMac

With a new Mac Mini / iMac,
Can you use the HDMI port to output video from the Pro Tools timeline?
Can you daisy chain two Apple Thunderbolt displays from one Thunderbolt port?
Can you run a converted DVI monitor output for the main PT display daisy chained off a thunderbolt chassis for an HDX / native card?
Just to clarify Mac Mini - (Thunderbolt) - Thunderbolt Chassis - (Thunderbolt) - (DVI Converter) - Main Monitor.

Many Thanks

Ben
Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 PM

Default Re: PT Video out HDMI on Mac Mini / iMac

Hello,

Yes but it's a regular computer monitor output.
No.
Yes.

Hugh
Old 06-10-2013, 08:55 AM

Thanks,

Does Pro Tools recognize the HDMI out as a valid audio out?

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh-H View Post
Hello,

Yes but it's a regular computer monitor output.
No.
Yes.

Hugh
Old 06-12-2013, 09:58 AM

This totally works. I just finished a show working on a mac mini attached via HDMI to a home theater set up.

Dual 2.0 G5 RevB
2 gigs of ram
DVToolkit 2 PT 7.3
OS 10.4.8
Old 06-18-2013, 09:33 AM

Does it look as smooth / good as a blackmagic card? I've used monitor outputs before but they don't have (I think it's called ) deinterlacing. That's why video out a monitor output won't look good, plus it looks like it skips frames sometimes. Smoothness is a big deal to me, has to look like it does when its broadcast.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoklake View Post
This totally works. I just finished a show working on a mac mini attached via HDMI to a home theater set up.
Ditto. Going into an (admittedly expensive) Anthem processor for high quality D/A as well as their terrific room EQ and bass management in my projected theater was actually a bonus over the passive chain I usually use. I listened to some print masters of films I had dubbed in full-sized stages and they were right on. I may be permanently done with AVID hardware on the output stage for editing and mixing purposes. Your mileage may vary.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlypost View Post
Ditto. Going into an (admittedly expensive) Anthem processor for high quality D/A as well as their terrific room EQ and bass management in my projected theater was actually a bonus over the passive chain I usually use. I listened to some print masters of films I had dubbed in full-sized stages and they were right on. I may be permanently done with AVID hardware on the output stage for editing and mixing purposes. Your mileage may vary.
The Anthem is expensive but looks really nice too.

Do you mean you sent a mix from PT to "aggregate output" and that went to the Mac minis built in HDMI output then to the anthem signal processor? For audio only? You don't get more than 2 channels do you? This setup sounds interesting

I bet it sounded really nice.

Thanks kindly
Old 06-18-2013, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd_special View Post
The Anthem is expensive but looks really nice too.

Do you mean you sent a mix from PT to "aggregate output" and that went to the Mac minis built in HDMI output then to the anthem signal processor? For audio only? You don't get more than 2 channels do you? This setup sounds interesting

I bet it sounded really nice.

Thanks kindly
Aggregate out HDMI gives you up to 8 channels of LPCM. I sent both HD video from the timeline and 5.1 audio out HDMI to the Anthem and projector (from the Anthem to Bryston amps/mains/Bag End sub) with thunderbolt feeding the PT screen to a local monitor. Anthem Room Correction is a revelation (I had to install Windows in a bootcamp partition just to run it and download to the processor) and the whole deal works a treat. I've also installed an SSD and created a fusion drive with the 1TB internal to the mini and the computer is pretty snappy. Threw it in my backpack and took it to NY to dub an HBO movie as a cutting machine on the stage and saved me having to do installs and get comfy on a local rig (not a big deal but I'm lazy). My old HD3 system and 24 channels of IO is keeping the washer and dryer company in the garage. I'll see where the dust settles with the new Mac Pros and PT11 etc. in the next year.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlypost View Post
Aggregate out HDMI gives you up to 8 channels of LPCM. I sent both HD video from the timeline and 5.1 audio out HDMI to the Anthem and projector
I,m blown away that that works that's amazing. So with the video you didn,t send that out with the same HDMI cable to the Anthem did you? If so it's your second Mac display correct?

I bet that sounds so good the converters would be excellent

Kd
Old 06-19-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd_special View Post
I,m blown away that that works that's amazing. So with the video you didn,t send that out with the same HDMI cable to the Anthem did you? If so it's your second Mac display correct?

I bet that sounds so good the converters would be excellent

Kd
Same cable - projector treated as second display. I, too, am blown away. The converters sound quite good. For my needs I'll take the combined solution I'm getting over an Omni any day (I really can't say enough about ARC eq - especially since I find the Audyssey EQ I've tried unlistenable). Other processor/preamps that take LPCM over HDMI would obviously also work but I would be a bit careful since they're often feature-rich for home theater but the audio chain is not professional quality. I don't currently feel that this configuration is at all a compromise and I'm a big passive-chain/minimum-processing guy.