Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2001, 07:34 PM

Default Re: seeking ideas, headphones in studio

Great Hi's
Great Lo's
Great Phones...
7506's all the way [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2001, 12:00 AM

I'll jump on the bandwagon and say go for the Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-V600/900, but the only thing is that the 1/4" to 3.5mm adapter has a tendency to break. Nothing more frustrating to have the tip of that thing stuck in a piece of gear.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:02 PM

Fostex T20's have held up better than anything else over time. Sony 7506's blow out the drivers too often. AKG 240's sound the best but are partially open backed, causing too much leakage and often not efficient enough to produce the volume that some people want.
Old 08-03-2001, 03:28 PM

yep.... I was wondering if anyone would mention the Fostex phones.

I have been using the fostex T40 and T20s for more than ten years and they are still alive ... the earpads are showing their age. Spare parts were available last time I asked but I didn't buy parts I just bought another T40.

They aren't the best sounding phones by todays standards but they will survive drummers and bassists. I drive them as loud as they want, (I can't survive it) with a bipolar 40watt amp and a passive splitter. Lots of headroom.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:23 PM

The Fostex T20s and T40s are great. I really like the airy sound, they are rock solid (relatively), and the T40s are very insulated. The Sony's 7506s have a very thin wire that connects the headpiece to the earphones-- and it is very easy to get this wire caught in the earpieces (and it WILL break). Also, I've broken the 1/8" tip off twice, and it's basically impossible to repair.
Old 08-04-2001, 06:54 PM

I have a pair of the Sony MDR-7506 headphones. I like them a lot but the pads are coming apart and the little wire gets pinched between the headband fork and the back of the cup.

I have twenty of the Optimus Pro-40 headphones from Radio Shack (#33-1132) (Actually made by Koss). It's the "Official Headphone of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame & Museum." These headphones sound good, take lots of abuse, and have a closed cup for sound isolating. I have never had a complaint about them, and never had one break yet. (My dog chewed the connector off one, so I had to fix that.) As I recall, they only cost about $40. It has a 1/4" connector, so there's no adapter to lose. I am a Radio Shack stock holder, but that's not why I bought them. The more expensive Optimus Pro-90 headphones break too easily!
Chris
Old 08-13-2001, 03:49 AM

Is anyone of you trying to use a wireless headphone set (like Shure 400 for example) for singers or players ?
Old 08-13-2001, 08:53 AM

I'll cast my vote for the Sennheiser 250 Linear headphones mentioned above. Light weight, extra large earcup so the ear is completely surrounded, easily worn for a long time with no fatigue, add little or no color to the sound, no bleed no matter how loud you crank 'em (unless you take them off when you're too close to the mic ;-) and as a friend of mine said who tried mine - "Like putting a mini sound booth on your ears" - they do an effective job of blocking out ambient sound so you can concenrate on your own vocal. I take mine to every studio I do work in and make sure they come home with me. Pricey by the Sony standards, but like everything else Sennheiser, built to last. I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD 540 Reference headphones for over 15 years and have just replaced the pads and cable. I'd still be using them, but they're open port and unusable with condenser mics.

Cheers!
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 08-14-2001, 03:21 PM

Kev,

I totally agree with you. Fostex's can handle low end much more than the Sony 7506. An artist I was once working with blew five pairs of 7506's in one day. I don't believe I've ever seen a musician blow a pair of Fostex. IMO 7506's high end can tire the ear.
Old 03-28-2002, 09:12 AM

I just picked up the Sony MDR-V900. Awesome headphones. Anyone else out there, have these?

haze

www.johnhaze.com www.mp3.com/john_haze