Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Default 11r - newbie!

Just wanted to say "hi". I've been playing an RP1000 direct to the PA in my church worship band for about the past year and half. This week I won an 11R online - should be here on Wednesday. I am STOKED about it!

I've been reading a lot of posts here - very excited to learn more about the awesome 11R!!!

Have a great holiday weekend!

David
Old 05-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Default Re: 11r - newbie!

where did you win it from? The Avid giveaway?

Enjoy. and Welcome.

Be sure to purchase the ERXP for a larger selection of Amps, Cabs, mics, effects.

www.avid.com/ERXP

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 PM

... sorry... I should have been more specific - I won an auction online - paid for it... it wasn't a "free" win...

I plan to load the expansion pack immediately before even diving in.

Thanks for the welcome - I'm really looking forward to getting it and making the big leap to the world of the 11R!!!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:37 PM

How are you planning on using it live? When I use mine at church I run my pedalboard into it and then straight into the PA. I couldn't be happier!
Old 05-28-2011, 09:40 PM

Hey David! Good to see you here. Welcome!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Pippin View Post
How are you planning on using it live? When I use mine at church I run my pedalboard into it and then straight into the PA. I couldn't be happier!
I plan to run a semi-hybrid rig. I have a nice OD pedal (Franklin ProDrive) that I want to run before the 11R input - then use a DD-20 delay (I have 3 delay settings I use for certain songs and it's easier to have the DD-20 memory slots saved than try to re-create those settings in every patch/rig), maybe a Trem stomp. That will all go direct to the PA. That is essentially how I've been running my RP1000 setup I am currently playing (although a few extra stomps - like an EQ pedal and an analog delay).

I envision my rig looking like this:

guitar -> Boss TU-2 Tuner -> Franklin ProDrive -> 11R True Z input -> FX Snd -> Trem -> DD-20 -> FX Rtn -> 11R main out to the PA

I am in the process of acquiring a Rocktron MidiMate to control the 11R. I don't have complicated needs with control - essentially patch/rig changes and toggle effects. I have an EB Vol Jr pedal I plan to use as my expression pedal for the short term until I decide what else I want to do. I may move the tuner to the "tuner out" of the EB volume pedal so it's not "in line" with my signal path - but we'll see how that all plays out.

I do have a hand build 40 watt tube power amp (EL34 tubes and tube rectifier) and a 2x12 cab with V-30 speakers that I can use for those rare occasions when I need some stage volume. Our band writes our own material and plays some outreach events. In August we'll be playing a local event along with the Sidewalk Prophets - a pretty big deal for us. :)

... anyway... that's my plan for now - definitely direct to the PA on Sundays though. That is part of the beauty of the modelling rig - no need to haul much gear. I make one trip in from my truck - am tuned and playing in five minutes. That is awesome compared to my previous amp rig and separate acoustic guitar setup (I use the acoustic model in the RP1000 right now but will switch to a Boss AC-2 with the 11R). I used to make 3 trips to get everything in - another 20+ to set it all up. That just turned out to be too much work for 5 songs. As I've gotten older and as modeling technology has improved, the direct rig has made more sense. Besides - I'm not a good enough guitarist to need a high dollar backline. I need some basic tones that sit in the mix and satisfy my tone palette (raised on Diamond Dave era EVH, Scorpions, Ratt, etc). The Plexi and AC30 models alone will be enough for me to justify the 11R. The rest, IMHO, will be icing on the cake.

Dave - thanks for the tip to come here - and the greeting.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM

Dumb question...

My 11R is going to arrive today (according to UPS.com). I want to install the EXPN pack but don't know that my machine can handle ProTools. Can I hook the 11R to my computer with a USB cable and install the EXPN pack that way? I suspect so but just want to confirm.

Thanks in advance!
David
Old 06-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmock66 View Post
Dumb question...

My 11R is going to arrive today (according to UPS.com). I want to install the EXPN pack but don't know that my machine can handle ProTools. Can I hook the 11R to my computer with a USB cable and install the EXPN pack that way? I suspect so but just want to confirm.

Thanks in advance!
David
Yup.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:49 PM

Sweet - I was hoping that was the case.

Thanks Dave!