Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-03-2009, 10:36 PM

Default How to get iLok to add a delete old licenses button.

Guess what I am doing tomorrow morning? I'm going to go pay another $40 to buy another iLok so I can move trial downloads licenses onto it, to free up space because there is not a delete button for unwanted, outdated licenses. iLok has decided that they will force us to keep buying new iLoks every time one gets filled up with old software and trial software licenses that we've downloaded. Sure they've added a delete button in the queued software section (they don't want their servers loaded up with useless software that we are not using, that would cost them money) so they want us to delete them, to free up space. To have to buy another iLok to transfer expired trial software licenses to (because I can't just delete them, is wrong). It's a $40 trash can, which is all because of iLok's greed.

I'm going to start something, and if everyone will join me, we could just maybe get the delete button that should have been there all along.

Start emailing sales support, management, you get the idea, of every software company, and tell them that until iLok ads a delete button to get rid of expired software trial licenses, you are not going to download anymore trial software including their companies. If they want their software downloaded by people to try, and then hopefully purchased, they need to talk to iLok and make it so we can get the old trial software licenses off our iLoks. Not have to go spend another $40 on a new iLok.

If software companies get enough emails and see that software trial downloads really have gone down, just maybe they will put some pressure on iLok to do the right thing.

But, this part is critical; even if you are not going to write a single email to any software company. Join in and DON'T download ANY software trials for all of 2010. Consider it your New Years Resolution. I know it will be hard, but think of the satisfaction of seeing that "delete button" added and knowing you were part of the change.

Please chime in and let me know if you are up to the challenge, if you could care less how much money you spend on iLok trash cans, or if you have a better idea on how to get iLok to add a delete old licenses button.

Cheers!
Old 11-04-2009, 12:39 AM

Default Re: How to get iLok to add a delete old licenses button.

Thats actually sensible.

But boy you'd need ALOT of people on board - people that have bought alot of plugins (Most of us)

I generally buy about 75% of the demos I try. in the last 6 months along - tried demos of - McDsp, Dynamic Spectrum Mapper, Sonnox Inflator, SPL Transient Designer, Wave Rider, Nomad Factory, - and bought em all (Actually 11 day left to pay for the Dynamic Spectrum Mapper)

Might be better to get a petition going on Gear Sluts, have eveyone agree to do this a s a ban, and sign the petition (Thread) as a statement that they won't demo new software - till theres a delete button.

Better yet EVERYBODY sign up for EVERY demo available, and DONT download them to an iLok - just leave them in your License cue.

I don't know - revolution's seldom ever actually happen in this day and age.

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 11-04-2009, 03:36 AM

Check this thread: http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=254567

It is not only about deleting old licenses, Digidesign even reserves slots on your iLok for future (!) demo licenses...

So, +1000 for a 'delete old licenses and reserved slots button' !

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) 3.33 GHz 6-core - 48 GB RAM - macOS 13.6.2 (with OCLP 1.3) - Magma EB7 - PT HDX3 - Pro Tools Ultimate - Avid HD I/O 16x16 (x2) - Avid HD I/O 16x16 Digital - Digidesign 192 I/O - Digidesign 192D I/O (x3) - Avid SYNC HD - Apogee Big Ben - Apogee Rosetta 200 - Avid S3 - Slate RAVEN MTi2 (x2) - iConnectivity mioXL (x4) - Genelec ‘The Ones’ 9.1.6 Dolby Atmos Music monitoring (AES/EBU) with 8341A (x5) + 8331A (x10) + 7360A (x2) + 9301B - Almost all available AAX-DSP plug-ins
Old 11-04-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
Better yet EVERYBODY sign up for EVERY demo available, and DONT download them to an iLok - just leave them in your License cue.
I like that idea. Just let them sit on iLoks servers and clog them up.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-04-2009, 10:19 AM

I don't think it will happen.
If you could delete old demo licenses what would stop you from just reauthorizing the demo and keep using the plug?

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I like that idea. Just let them sit on iLoks servers and clog them up.
I had thought of that in my original post and deleted it before posting, as it actually defeats what we are after, which is a delete button for the iLok itself. We would then just be a pain in the butt to iLok, not accomplishing anything valuable. Downloading more trials takes away all leverage we could have if we really decided to do this for real.

I realize I've called together a meeting of drug addicts to say "Come on, give up heroin for one year that's all I'm asking"

I don't think it would take a year for software companies to put the pressure on iLok if we could manage to do this in mass.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:33 AM

deleting old licenses is one solution -- but WHY ON EARTH did Pace design the iLok with only 100s slots?

It's a freaking USB device -- for the number of bytes required to do a license -- this thing should allow 30,000 licenses.

the solution for demo licenses: licenses should not only be tied to an iLok, but the account. One account = one license. Remove the demo license from the iLok and there is still history that the account used the license. Done.

If iLok.com were to allow the "transfer" of licenses from an iLok back to a "pending" or "dumpster" or some corny analogy for a place to park licenses, ON iLOK.com, then problem would not be solved, but it would be a major step forward. But what if iLok's database dumps? You would hope they have reasonable server technologies and guys who have done this before.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
I don't think it will happen.
If you could delete old demo licenses what would stop you from just reauthorizing the demo and keep using the plug?
Well in a reasonable world that 14 day trial would drop off your iLok in say 90 days and in perhaps a year one would be eligible to download a trial of the same plug again. Just cause I didn't like it enough to buy it now doesn't mean that I might not be interested in trying it again at some later point.

I realize that we wouldn't want a scenario where you downloaded the Demo, ran it till it timed out. Deleted it and repeated the process-never buying the plug you continuously using. Theres no reason that the plugin manufacturers cant keep track of who downloaded what demos and when and decide whether they will authorize another demo period.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-04-2009, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
I had thought of that in my original post and deleted it before posting, as it actually defeats what we are after, which is a delete button for the iLok itself. We would then just be a pain in the butt to iLok, not accomplishing anything valuable. Downloading more trials takes away all leverage we could have if we really decided to do this for real.

I realize I've called together a meeting of drug addicts to say "Come on, give up heroin for one year that's all I'm asking"

I don't think it would take a year for software companies to put the pressure on iLok if we could manage to do this in mass.
My thinking was that iLok might learn the value of being able to do some virtual housecleaning if they encountered the same problem themselves.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

Old 11-04-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyroberts View Post
the solution for demo licenses: licenses should not only be tied to an iLok, but the account. One account = one license. Remove the demo license from the iLok and there is still history that the account used the license. Done.
Exactly.