Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-09-2008, 01:30 PM

Default Virtual Instruments Causing Errors -6907, -9128, -6086

My Pro Tools rig (detailed below) works perfectly except when I try to use certain virtual instruments plugins that require MIDI control. I can play/record about two measures of music before everything stops and throws an error (detailed below). The session doesn't crash, and PT doesn't crash, which is good, I guess, but those errors happen every time I use the following virtual instrument plug-ins:

EZ Drummer
M-Audio Keyrig
Arturia Minimoog V

However, I can use the following virtual instruments with no problem:

Sampletank (came with Pro Tools)
Reason LE (came with Pro Tools)
M-Audio Drum and Bass Rig
M-Audio M-Tron

Also, all effects plugins that came with PT work fine.

My Mac's activity monitor shows that the processors seem to max out whenever I use the offending virtual instruments. I thought maybe my Firewire activity might be draining the processors, but I've whittled my FW use down to two inputs -- my Digi 002 control surface, and whichever Oxford 911 chipset drive I happen to be using at the time. I used to have a FW PCI card hub installed, but I removed that thinking it might be part of the problem, and it had no effect. I'm using the FW ports on the back of my G4 Mac and I'm still getting the same errors.

I recently upgraded from Pro Tools 6x to 7.4.2, and also from OSX 10.4 to 10.5.4, but I was having these exact same problems with the exact same virtual instruments before.

I have performed all operations suggested in the DUC General Troubleshooting guide, several many times (including uninstalling/reinstalling Pro Tools, and even the OS X a couple of times just to be sure. I downloaded the Tech Support folder linked to from the DUC Troubleshooting Guide and following all instructions/troubleshooting in there, too, to no effect.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions/experience that could help me get to a point where I can use these virtual instruments? Again, it's my impression that these virtual instruments cause a massive processor drain, while similar virtual instruments seem to work fine. Am I taxing my FW bus too much? Am I having some other kind of through-put problem? Is it possible that one of my dual processors isn't working, or isn't optimized (and, if so, how can I check/fix that)? Is this a clock source issue?

Thanks for reading. Here are the various details:

THE THREE ERRORS I ROUTINELY GET WHEN TRYING TO USE THE VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS LISTED ABOVE:

"Lost communication with audio interface. Please try increasing H/W Buffer Size or removing some plug-ins, and make sure you have a valid clock source (-6097)." NOTE: I get this error 90% of the time... There is only one plugin running, and messing with the H/W buffer has no effect.

"You are running out of CPU power. Remove some RTAS plug-ins or increase the CPU usage limit in the Playback engine dialog (-9128)." NOTE: Following these suggestions has no effect.

"The operating system held off interrupts for too long. If this occurs frequently, try increasing the H/W Buffer Size" in the Playback engine panel (-6086)." NOTE: Messing with the H/W, as above, has no effect.

MY RIG:
PowerMac with Dual 1 Ghz PowerPC G4 processor (2.1)

Mac OSX 10.5.4

Pro Tools v. 7.4.2

1.5 gig SDRAM

Two internal ATA drives

Peripherals: USB mouse, USB keyboard, FW Digi 002 interface, FW hard drive with Oxford 911 chipset, USB M-Audio Oxygen61
MIDI controller

My Digi 002 control surface's serial number does end in an "E"...

Thanks again, and please let me know if I've left any details out or if I can answer any questions.

-Chris B.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Virtual Instruments Causing Errors -6907, -9128, -6086

Hi Chris, i have an outstanding tech support request which is still unresolved.

For me, the problem occurs with sample based VI's, namely Kontakt Player, Structure. Incidentally not with Sampletank or EZ Drummer.

Whenever i launch Pro Tools from a cold boot and press play, as soon as my session reaches one of the above instruments it throws and error. -6097 on my 002R and -9136 on my Mbox, i have tried every thing possible to stop this and nothing works, it is an issue with Pro Tools. From here on my sessions appear to be ok but errors often appear when a patches are changed and all breaks loose when trying to record.

I'm having to come round to the idea of printing thse VI's because they cause so much hassle. I even asked if this was sorted in Pro Tools 8 and apprently it isn't so it doesn't look like much under the hood work has happened in the new revision.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:05 PM

Hello Dougfather...

Glad to know I'm not alone with these errors... Spending the last couple of days in the basement plugging/unplugging and uninstalling/reinstalling things has been very isolating. Maybe I should go outside for a bit.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:16 PM

I am having error using virtual plugins as well, Digi gave me some info on it, since we are using Leopard with PT 7.4.2, you have to make sure all of your plugins are compatible with PT 7.4.2 version, even if you don't use them, you have to make sure they are not installed in your system, otherwise you will have those crashing.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Avid

Marcioguitar is absolutely correct - having ANY incompatible plug-ins installed, even if they're not used in the session, can cause all kinds of problems.

Kontakt Player is one of them - it's not been updated for Leopard yet.

Native Instruments compatibility with Leopard

Verify the versions of plug-ins you have installed against the Pro Tools Leopard Plug-in Updates page. Remove any incompatible or suspect plug-ins, then trash prefs and test again.

You should also see our VI performance info sticky for more ways to improve performance of VI's in Pro Tools.