Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Feature requests for \"Digi 003\" and PTLE 7

talking about new hardware/software is there any news from the aes in barcelona?
it seems that the rumor mill has stopped turning
Old 05-29-2005, 02:50 PM

from what i've picked up on boards my sense is that new hardware / software will not be forthcoming for a while . . .
maybe a long while.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:32 AM

Bump!!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 09:47 AM

at the risk of repeating myself -- take a digital i/o -- i don't imagine they're selling a whole lot of those units -- package it with ptle and there you go. doesn't hurt tdm sales and could be the first of a whole new class of products for a whole new class of users. high end studios will always go with massive hd systems. mid-level studios will now spend more than they would have spent for the current iterations of le. so will many individuals. the demographics of the industry have changed and it is time to move on to the new thing.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:46 PM

Hello,
I know it’s a long post, and doesn’t address the software part and it diverges a little from the last thoughts but...
I may have another idea for the next LE product. Here’s how it started:

1) next products to be updated are mBox and 002.
2) mBox is entry level (made by Focusrite) will EOL and M-Audio will take care of the next entry level product. Case closed.
3) Digidesign is SOOOOO!!! in the console/controller business right now for live and recording, ProControl and Control-24 are EOL (the new hardware exchange program) and as the Command-8 is made by Focusrite, I believe it will never be updated and will die someday...
As a matter of fact, Digi announced today new ICON bundles... (see the press released).

So what next, for us LE guys who always want more? Maybe the Digi 003 will really be an upgrade from the actual Digi 002 integrated audio workstation/control surface!

For my taste/usage, I would like to see:
- 16 analog inputs (on DB25’s) and the 8 original anolog ouputs (on TRS)
- 96 Khz HD conversion all the way in Mixer or ProTools mode (I’ll be back on that)
- all inputs with EQ, Comp, Reverb, Delay (DigiRack quality or +),
an Amp simulator on a couple of channels would be nice too (amplitube or a-like)
- optional 16 AES/EBU I/Os (on DB25’s) @ 96KHz and World Clock I/O
- 4 stereo CUE ouputs on TRS (switchable from line to headphones levels)
- Integrated talkback (switch, level, to cue’s)
- the usual midi, s/pdif, firewire, master level, alt src, headphone level/ouput...
No more “standalone” mode: but “Mixer mode” or “ProTools mode”:
- in Mixer mode, you setup your audio inputs and routing to/from ProTools, your cue levels
- in ProTools mode, it’s your usual Control Surface
A nice touch would be the remote control of (1 or 2) PRE(s) or its successor (at least from the console like the Control-24 does). I know this is not the best Pre in town, but it’s enough for some of us (if we could control it remotely and if the price was lowered a little).
Another nice touch would be the possibility to cascade 2 consoles and have 32 inputs (maybe only @ 48Khz to keep with the Firewire bandwidth) and 16 faders for ProTools control...
- Live Mixing and Recording (up to 32 tracks @ 48Khz) for small venues,
- Studio Recording of full bands (up to 16 tracks @ 96KHz)
Like the VENUE system is based on TDM/HD, Digi 003 would be the LE-based counterpart.

Pricing: the Digi 002 lists for $2495, the PRE for $2495 and the 192 Digital option (8 I/Os) for $995
So let’s say:
Digi 003 base (16 ins / 8 outs - analog): $3000 (?)
PRE for Digi003 registered users : $2000 (?)
96 Digital option (16 I/Os): $1000 (?)
cascade option (2 cards): $500 (?)

Bundles
Digi 003 base + Digital option: $4000
Digi 003 base and 1 PRE: $5000 (including DB25 cable)
Digi 003 base and 2 PREs: $7000 (including DB25 cables)
2x Digi 003 base + Cascade: $6500 (including cascade cable)
2x Digi 003/Cascade and 4 PREs: $14500 (including all cables)

With the NEW ProTools LE software that can handle 32 I/Os, 64 voices, Surround, etc... on Tiger.

?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: Feature requests for \"Digi 003\" and PTLE 7 for

Quote:
I went through this thread and quickly compiled all the main themes, and here's what we get:

Software

- At least 5.1 surround support - including audio tracks, auxes, master faders, plug-ins, and virtual instruments
- Higher track count (at least 64 voices, if not as many as the CPU & RAM will allow)
- True multi-processor support
- Faster than real-time bouncing
- Automatic latency compensation
- 32-bit/64-bit floating point processing
- 192 KHz sample rate support
- AAF/OMF/MP3 import/export as standard feature
- Track/plug-in "freezing"
- Support for 64-bit files (e.g. Apple's new 64-bit Core Audio format and Wave64)
- More efficient coding
- Arrange track (similar to Nuendo's Play Order Track, or Live's clip sequencing)
- CoreAudio support when using PT (alongside or instead of DAE)
- Full support for VST instruments
- Record-enable tracks and automation on the fly
- Enhanced GUI customization

AND, WHETHER THE SAME AS PTLE OR A SEPARATE PRODUCT: A NATIVE, SOFTWARE-ONLY VERSION (A LA PRO TOOLS "POWER MIX" BACK IN THE DAY) WITH GREAT CORE AUDIO DRIVERS, WITH A DIGI DONGLE/ILOK BUT NO REQUIREMENT FOR DIGI INTERFACE

Four Hardware interfaces (I'll give them made-up names for convenience)

#1 - STUDIO I/O: High-end non-TDM unit, like 192 I/O for LE

- At least 5.1 (if not also 7.1) monitoring support
- 8-16 channels of AES I/O over DB25 ports with single-wire 192KHz support
- Ability to expand I/O up to 64ch (via linking multiple units and/or adding extra I/O cards)
- 192KHz sample rate support
- Great converters (i.e. Crystal Semi CS5381 or better)
- FireWire 800 or PCI card (FW800 might not have enough bandwidth for 64ch at 96k+)
- Word clock I/O with switchable termination
- Standard DB25 balanced +4 analog I/O
- An instrument DI input on the front panel
- Two headphone jacks with separate volume control and better headphone amp
- S/MUX
- Phantom power switches on the front of the unit
- Talkback mic input
- Sturdy, road-ready 2U box w/basic 4-segment metering per channel on front panel
- Support for CoreAudio device aggregation

-- If a control surface version of this is made, it should include the surround monitoring control room features of the Control|24, with switching between 2 sets of 5.1 monitors and 2 pair of stereo monitors.

#2 - DIGITAL I/O: Digital-only high-end non-TDM unit, like 192 Digital I/O for LE

- Like the above, but with 16-32ch of AES I/O, and without the analog I/O (or like the 192 Digital I/O but with FireWire 800 and single-wire 192k AES) and built into a sturdy, road-ready 1U box.

#3 - MOBILE I/O: Mobile unit with pro specs and 1U form factor - the FireFace/Traveler killer

- FireWire 800
- Bus-powered
- 8ch analog I/O
- 4 mic preamps
- 1 front-panel instrument DI input
- Sample rates up to 192k
- 2ch S/PDIF, 2ch AES, and SMUX lightpipe
- MIDI I/O
- Monitor volume controls stereo and 5.1 mixes
- MS decoder

#4 - MINI I/O: Mobile unit with pro specs, tiny footprint and limited features - replaces Mbox

- FireWire/USB 2.0 interface
- Bus-powered, w/external 9VDC option
- 2ch analog I/O (a la Mbox), with simultaneous 2ch digital I/O, for 4ch total I/O
- Standard half-rack form factor (so it can be racked next to a Mini-Me, et al)
- Sample rates up to at least 96k
- MIDI I/O
- MS decoder
- Better low-latency monitoring solution than current Mbox

Price

So what would we pay for these?

The street/web prices i would happily pay for these are:

#1 Studio I/O: $2500 (or $3000+ if the conversion and clocking is on par with Mytek/Lavry/AD-16X)
#2 Digital I/O: $1200 for 16ch of 192k AES I/O or $1800 for 32ch
#3 Mobile I/O: $1500
#4 Mini I/O: $500

I'd probably buy a Studio I/O and a Digital I/O and link them for my home studio system, and then I'd buy a Mini I/O or Mobile I/O for location recording.

What about you?
How would you compare what you suggest to a control-surface version of what is called the "Studio I/O" above and what price point(s) would you suggest?
Old 06-03-2005, 01:57 PM

Quote:
How would you compare what you suggest to a control-surface version of what is called the "Studio I/O" above and what price point(s) would you suggest?

I think DrDVD's compilation of requests is great (I told him so, earlier in this thread). And if Digi makes boxes with most of these features, it would be a great improvement for everybody.
I my (only) opinion,
- I don't think Digi will give LE systems 192KHz soon, so I think we just gonna see a small power bump this year, and I believe it's gonna be more I/Os and voices than Khz, (hint: the VENUE will be able to send 32 tracks @ 48Khz to the next ProTools LE...)
- I don't think it's gonna be a PCI system, so I made it firewire, I'm not even sure Digi will adopt FW800 one day...
- Room, I mean physical room, try fitting every component of the STUDIO I/O on a 2U rack... just a good surround monitoring section...

In light of all this, I kept it simple, 002 based, same form factor, like a simple digital mixer connected to ProTools via Firewire that acts as a control surface at the touch of a button. Just a better, more powerfull 002, with some improvements on the digital options: 96KHz AES instead of 48KHz ADAT (I don't think Digi will ever adopt smux), World Clock (!!!), and more power/functionalities on the mixer part (16 inputs all proccessed), better routing... A more integrated system.

As a matter of fact my rig looks like this but in several pieces: preamps/converters digital outs to PT, analog outs to a mixer and headphone amp for CUEs, I don't have a control surface right now... I'm waiting...

About the prices... if the STUDIO I/O was $2750 (between 2500 and 3000) add 1250 for the surface control you've got $4000, which is the price I listed for my 003 with the Digital option...

M
Old 06-04-2005, 07:04 PM

Quote:
ProControl and Control-24 are EOL (the new hardware exchange program) and as the Command-8 is made by Focusrite, I believe it will never be updated and will die someday...
The Command 8 isn't made by Focusrite. They just designed the monitoring section (and for that matter, the M Box and Control 24 are made by Digidesign as well, just designed by Focusrite).

The Pro Control is discontinued, but not the Control 24 (at least not yet). It's at an entirely different price point than the D|Command and I don't see Digi discontinuing it until they have a replacement.

-Duardo
Old 06-07-2005, 10:03 AM

[deleted]
Old 06-07-2005, 10:28 AM

Agreed,

I meant that mBox, C-24 & C-8 were the fruit of collabration between Digidesign and Focusrite.
The C-24 is part of the "ICON Exchange Program", so EOL is not far...
Quote:
Exchange your Digidesign® ProControl® or Control|24™ control surface up to an ICON D-Control™ or D-Command™ worksurface to experience the power of a truly integrated console environment while saving thousands! ICON worksurfaces deliver a wide range of functionality unavailable with ProControl or Control|24 control surfaces.
I wouldn't mind seeing a new C24 (Command-24 maybe) without the ƒƒ pre's, simply Control Surface and Surround monitoring section (X-MON)... at a reasonable price.

M