Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 04-25-2022, 12:48 AM

Default Macbook Pro 2015 how long for?

Hi everyone I use PT 12.5 and Logic 10.3.2 on a Macbook Pro 2015 15" 2.8 i7 16 gb RAM on El Capitan.
Storage 512, with about 150gb used, all projects kept on external drives.

The computer is kept at home 99% of the time in my studio, its only used for Pro Tools and Logic, nothing else, I have had it 6 years now and it performs flawlessly,

How long can I seriously expect this to keep working for? I really don't want to upgrade anything as everything is stable.
Can I expect to get another 10 years?
Old 04-25-2022, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Macbook Pro 2015 how long for?

How long is a piece of string?

If it's not giving you problems you should get years out of it... or maybe not if it breaks, or you spill coffee on it. Have a backup/recovery plan, make sure it works, is insured and be ready to replace if it lost/stolen/dies.

With the transition to Apple Silicon well under way you will stop getting new software fixes and releases from Apple, Avid, iLok, plugin vendors, and others. Nobody knows for sure but my guess is for that to happen in ~ 2 years.

Get another 10 years from it... I doubt it. That's just ancient. There will be newer prettied shinier computers that I expect many folks will want, and new audio interfaces, control surfaces, MIDI gizmos and DAW and music software that will only work on Apple Silicon and so you'll buy an Apple Silicon based Mac.

At durations like ~ decade stuff just stops working, like you may not have sufficiently new web browser support to log into web sites, iLok's online service might stop supporting those old OSes etc. At that time duration liek the second half of 20 years, where you no longer get any OS or web browser etc. updates nobody can guess what will or won't work, especially with software increasingly dependent on some online parts.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-25-2022 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 02:12 AM

Another 5 years at most imho of course.

Remember what Darryl said - It comes a time when the macOS won’t be supported and won’t work with your MAC.

Also working with a 15+ old computer that has to be fiddled with just to get PT to load won’t give you many happy days as PT on a shiny 32GB ram Mac today has issues with a few Virtual Instruments like NI Kontakt and East West etc.

As 16GB is the absolute minimum RAM needed just for basic functions and such so having a minimum of 32 or preferrably 64 GB is what you will be needing in a near future and as you cant upgrade is those macbooks you will notice when it is time to take it off and use it for internet stuff and youtube vidoes.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-26-2022, 01:00 AM

Understood!

Though everything is stable and working now, I wont be updating ANYTHING, drivers, firmware, OS etc, PT !2
So I dont see why it shouldnt last at least 5 years + !