Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 06-04-2020, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools ran out of CPU power on Windows 10

So thanks for the Sandra report.

So a 6-core i5 with no hyperthreading, that excludes worrying about disabling hyperthtreading.

Have you made the BIOS optimization settings, and all other settings, every last one? Disabled wifi, disabled bluetooth, etc. do them all for now and leave them all done while you do other stuff. You can try backing off stuff later.

Sandra is reporting both memory DIMMs as bad. That may or may not be correct. Start by opening up the computer and seeing what exact DIMMs are installed, if they are labeled and that matches the specs reported and if they look genuine. Check if those actual DIMMs are on the motherboard Memory QVL (qualified vendor list) DIMM list. I don't think they are. And not similar spec, but actually on the QVL.

This may be a false error, it's next to impossible to tell. After trying other stuff You might just want to try another pair of DIMMs from a trusted supplier... maybe grab a 2 x 16 GB upgrade since you only have two DIMM slots.

How large are the sessions? How many/what plugins are in use? Are you doing deep chaining of plugins? Like many plugins stacked on a track or tracks bussed into each other that have lots of plugins on them. That can cause issues becasue of how plugins are allocated to cores.

If you set the IO buffer size to the largest value (1024?) do you still get this problem? (With ignore errors not checked - leave it not checked for everything else.)

You mentioned you tried moving all the plugins out of their folder. Did you move evey last one out? And then trash prefs? If not try doing that now. Use Trasher to make sure you trash prefs correctly. https://www.pro-tools-pc.com/support/trasher. Now restart Pro Tools and test.

Do all thers errors happen on the same session, or sessions that are copies of a common ancestor? Try starting with a new empty session. What happens as you add some basic plugins?

You have two drives, and multiple partitions, which one are the sessions on? Especially if it's on the HDD try moving it onto the SSD for a test.

Keep trashing prefs between trying other things.

You are on 12.5 so don't have disk cache that came in 12.6. So nothing to check there.

If you are not running bad plugins, or not deeply stacking plugins and the system is fully optmized, and you don't have bad DRAM, and you don't have a corrputed session, then this should work. If it does not I would grab the free trial of the current Pro Tools 2020 Ultimate (just to test with, uninstall the current version and install 2020) and see if that works. If not then do a full new clean install of Windows 10, onto a spare partition or new SSD. Ideally starting with a genuine Microsoft Windows install, not from an OEM recovery disk/partition, and install just the bare minumum drivers (not letting Windows automatically install everything) for your interface etc, and Pro Tools and ILM and see if that works, if so then install plugins and other apps. And if that all works clone over your current boot partition.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:41 PM

Darryl, you're a Rockstar.

Here's an update on what I've done:

I double checked all the Avid optimization steps, and they have ALL been done.

I got Trasher and I cleaned up Databases and Preferences.

I thought you were on to something with transferring my PT session files on the HDD to the SSD. I didn't even consider that drive being at fault.

So I did the transfer. No cigar. Same error.

You mention changing the buffer to 1024, but I'm getting the same error on recording and playback. I have to use a smaller buffer to record.

About the sessions: All sizes. Some of them are 20+ tracks, with a good number of plugins Maybe 25 or so, and some other sessions are like 4 tracks with one plugin. Some of my sessions were made with a template, some are built from scratch. The error happens on any session. Everything will be working normally, and then BAM. Error.

Now, I don't know if I showed you this... but the error happens with minimal CPU usage. That's why I think this is a generic error message but something different is happening.

The only thing I have left to do is upgrade the RAM, and try another version of PT.

I'm almost to the point of trying to find a converter of PT files to any other DAW so I can quit dealing with Avid. And don't get me started with their service. I got a reply today asking me what the error was. There are 3 different screenshots, and the actual verbage written on the ticket. Their service is atrocious.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:58 PM

The CPU meter is meaningless, looking at them is not likely to help you. This is a classic behavior you see with bad plugins, but who knows what is going on here. Pro Tools is not actually measuring CPU usage and does not care what it actually is it's internally measuring how long some task take to do, and if that take too long it throws this error. These things happen very fast, if it's a very fast blip of CPU usage you can't even see it in a meter.

I know you are need to run at smaller buffer sizes in practice, but when a system is so unstable you want to run it at the largest buffer size that is unstable (but leave ignore error unchecked)... that gives you most chance of seeing changes thigns that improve the stability a bit, if you get it more stable then you can reduce the buffer size and keep trying other thigns if needed.

Make sure you have tied starting from a entire new clean session, not from a tempalte (they can very very rarely get corrupted). And build that up and see if it works.

Decide what the next easiest things are to do is. New admin user account test, Pro Tools 2020 Ultimate test, clean installs of Windows (onto a new drive or spare parittion, swap the memory DIMMs, etc.). etc. And when you try 2020 Ultimate. Be sure to set the Pro Tools disk buffer to several GB (however big is needed to fully cache your session, and watch the session load... this excludes just about any potential IO issue). And try it all togehre... e.g. new Windows install, 2020 Ultimate, new session, reoptimize the whole machine etc. ... if that does not work then you likely have some unique rare problem with the PC. My usual advice at this point is slam it with as much stuff as quickly as possile, like don't shy away from doing a full clean Windows install with 2020 (on a spare drive)... better to do than and see if it works or not, then spend days trying one thing after another.
Old 06-08-2020, 06:02 AM

Darryl you were right from the very beginning. Pro Tools 12.5 was the cause all along. As soon as I installed the trial version of 2020.5 all errors stopped. That's great news on one hand, since I don't have to go chasing after some weird error over and over, but on the other it's a bummer because I had a Pro Tools version that worked just fine for years, and then began acting up. Now I gotta buy it again. In the end, it's all about the dollar...

I want to thank everyone who helped out on this post. You guys were awesome. Thank goodness for DUC because Avid support was useless.

To all the moderators who talked to me via PM, you all were invaluable. You guys me feel better about using Pro Tools because I know there's real support out there for us, and that's you!
Old 04-11-2022, 01:45 AM

Hi gg5000. Have you solved this issue? I got the exact same issue and I can't find any solutions for this. This article is the closest issue from my issue I've read so far.

I get the same error msg and removing plugins doesn't help me at all.

How did you solve this?
Old 04-11-2022, 01:57 PM

Hmmm, glad you found a solution. For anyone else in a similar situation that might still be unsolved, Things to consider:
Processors
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz (6C 4GHz, 3.7GHz IMC, 6x 256kB L2, 9MB L3)
Socket/Slot : FC LGA1151
These days, under 3GHz might be considered a somewhat slow cpu
Chipset
Memory Controller : ASRock Core8S (CofeeLake-S) Host Bridge/DRAM Registers 100MHz, 2x 8GB DIMM DDR4 2.67GHz 128-bit, Integrated Graphics
Integrated Graphics used to be a no no. The newer versions of PT seem to have sidestepped this issue(maybe why your update solved it)
Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : (Bad)/Hynix (Hyundai) GKE800UD102408-2666 8GB DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-21300U DDR4-2666 (19-19-19-44 4-63-21-7)
Memory Module : (Bad)/Hynix (Hyundai) GKE800UD102408-2666 8GB DDR4 1Rx8 PC4-21300U DDR4-2666 (19-19-19-44 4-63-21-7)
Seeing Bad would make me suspicious of the RAM(not sure why your report shows this as you are now working)
Network Services
Network Adapter : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) (Ethernet)
Wireless Adapter : Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 (802.11ac (VHT), AES-CCMP, 65Mbps)
Standard troubleshooting would be to disable both of these and test.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-11-2022, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim87 View Post
Hi gg5000. Have you solved this issue? I got the exact same issue and I can't find any solutions for this. This article is the closest issue from my issue I've read so far.

I get the same error msg and removing plugins doesn't help me at all.

How did you solve this?
You are replying to a post about a fairly common/generic type of error. And the original poster already described *exactly* what they did to solve their problem. Did you read this thread carefully? The original poster last posted on DUC in 2020 so are likely not around to answer your questions, but why are you asking them to explain again what they already posted?

The solution anybody found to their specific cause of a CPU error like this may have no relevance to the cause of your problem.

Are you running Pro Tools 12.5? (there were significant enhancements to AAX processing in a 2018 release, Pro Tools 12.5 has none of those enhancements and is more prone to CPU errors).

You need to get focused on solving your problem, asking what others did to solve what was causing their CPU errors is a waste of time. This thread has details of how to approach solving these common problems--how much of that have you done?

Please don't spam onto other threads like this, this is a very very common error message, you need to start solving the problem by following optimization and troubleshooting steps under "help us help you" up the top of each DUC web page If after doing that and what I've already posted in this thread then please create your own new thread on DUC, providing the expected info about your setup, including a Sandra report and a description of what troubleshooting you have tried.