Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2020, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Folder Tracks?

It looked like there was a checkbox in the "move to new routing folder" to automatically route tracks to the routing folder bus when moving them. It makes sense to have this as a bypassable option for cases like his drum tracks where he already some subgroups and parallel busses setup.

My bigger questions is why the "Basic Folder" tracks don't have integrated VCAs. The channelstrip for the basic folder track is blank in the mixer where the fader should be. I don't always want to route to a subgroup, but I almost always have VCAs for my subgroups. Given that the basic folder tracks have the same solo and mute functionality as VCAs, it would seem natural to incorporate VCAs into folder tracks. I am also unsure how basic folder tracks will be represented on surfaces and whether they will spill like VCAs.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
My bigger questions is why the "Basic Folder" tracks don't have integrated VCAs. The channelstrip for the basic folder track is blank in the mixer where the fader should be. I don't always want to route to a subgroup, but I almost always have VCAs for my subgroups. Given that the basic folder tracks have the same solo and mute functionality as VCAs, it would seem natural to incorporate VCAs into folder tracks. I am also unsure how basic folder tracks will be represented on surfaces and whether they will spill like VCAs.
Good spot, maybe somebody could advise but i think the other routing folder (that doesn't have to have everything routed to it) lets you do this? so basic folder is basically a dumping ground for misc tracks and anything else can go in a routing folder and still be routed variously, but enjoy the solo (and volume control ala vca?) that the folder track fader gives?

Must say for me looks potentially great, just done a day on another writing production mix session that has 150+ tracks , loads of ideas, tried out VI parts, random mic takes and the end of day proper recorded vocals and folder tracks would be a boon in getting this all organised quickly as the day went along
Old 03-09-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
This popped up in my e-mail from the ProTools Expert blog
A video of a fairly extensive presentation at NAMM specifically about Folder tracks. Taking an 80 track session and making 10 folder tracks

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2020/2/29/how-folder-track-in-pro-tools-2020-make-large-session-management-much-easier-expert-tutorial?mc_cid=86cee8d0c2&mc_eid=3af5b4ba3b
Man, that surface looks ridiculously slow. Setting up that keyboard's delay looks absolutely nuts. There's no way that would be faster than just using my trackball! He's just using it because its there, and it shows. Not natural at all... seems much slower to me. Also agree that not auto-routing the tracks sucks. Hopefully they'll change that default behaviour for launch.

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 03-09-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
It looked like there was a checkbox in the "move to new routing folder" to automatically route tracks to the routing folder bus when moving them. It makes sense to have this as a bypassable option for cases like his drum tracks where he already some subgroups and parallel busses setup.

Yes, No need to rebuild the route!
Old 03-09-2020, 06:39 PM

I am only going on what was shown in the video when I watched it last night. I remember that he created a Aux type of folder track, but demonstrated that he needed to route the tracks to the folder. If I have that wrong, great, but if not it seems an unnecessary step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Agree But ??
I thought he said that is true in Basic Folder but if you choose the Routing Folder (aux) option. it does that, or did I get that wrong ??
Old 03-09-2020, 09:55 PM

At 2:49, he says "we're gonna have folder tracks now in Pro Tools - Pro Tools Ultimate", but it isn't clear whether he means both Pro Tools AND Pro Tools Ultimate, or both. Almost comes across intentionally ambiguous. Anybody know?
Old 03-10-2020, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetland View Post
At 2:49, he says "we're gonna have folder tracks now in Pro Tools - Pro Tools Ultimate", but it isn't clear whether he means both Pro Tools AND Pro Tools Ultimate, or both. Almost comes across intentionally ambiguous. Anybody know?
I hope this is not another one of those that if you don't have Ultimate you are not worthy of having folder tracks (or any other silly exclusion Avid makes for non-Ultimate users). Either way around I don't trust the presenters that Avid has doing these things - too often they show things that just aren't possible in the s/w that gets to those of us who are unpaid beta testers. Let's see them work with the gold release and watch the fun begin

QAPLA!
Old 03-10-2020, 04:45 AM

It's all versions.

See here for more info.

http://www.avidblogs.com/pro-tools-2020-folder-tracks/

BTW, Gil is an excellent presenter.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-10-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Man, that surface looks ridiculously slow. Setting up that keyboard's delay looks absolutely nuts. There's no way that would be faster than just using my trackball! He's just using it because its there, and it shows. Not natural at all... seems much slower to me. Also agree that not auto-routing the tracks sucks. Hopefully they'll change that default behaviour for launch.
Yes he fumbled through a few things because of (probably the only Avid set up at Namm). But that really doesn't reflect on the use of Folder tracks.

And because he already had sub-masters set up for the drum tracks when he selected the Routing Folders option for the drums, it is admittedly unclear if the selected drum tracks auto routed or not ? I am going to have to check the video on my 27 inch display because my laptop is too small to see the I/O button.

BUT even if auto routing is not default , one thing brought out about Pro Tools version of "Folder Tracks" in the A.Scheps demo at Namm, was the ability to have different routing within the same folder, where I believe he had some parallel drum tracks routed differently than the rest of the drum tracks in the same Folder track (Which I am guessing is either not possible with auto routing OR. would have to be manually assigned anyway) .,

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 03-10-2020 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:32 AM

What gets me in that video is he mentions, but doesn't show, a shortcut for opening the attentioned track folder.
Please tell me there will be keyboard shortcut for that and its not just all about clicking that tiny button!