Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 07-04-2017, 12:58 PM

Default Re: AAE error -9173 stronger than ever on PT 12.7?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallie View Post
Crap!! I'm on a quadcore intel i7, OSX being updated to Sierra from el Capitano and having PT updated to 12.7.

So I guess I'm in for trouble when I read this??
I don't notice anymore or less 9173s on my 2.8 quad MacBook Pro than I do with my 2010 12core 3.46. Both have them. I'm seeing less with 12.8 so far on my MBP. Haven't upgraded my tower yet. With my MBP as long as I can keep the CPU below 50% I don't get very many. Once the CPU starts hovering around 50% or more, they start happening pretty frequently. That's in a mixing scenario. With VIs it's more of a crapshoot on either system, but so far 12.8 seems to be better in that regard, although I'm still seeing CPU spikes with VIs.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
I don't notice anymore or less 9173s on my 2.8 quad MacBook Pro than I do with my 2010 12core 3.46. Both have them. I'm seeing less with 12.8 so far on my MBP. Haven't upgraded my tower yet. With my MBP as long as I can keep the CPU below 50% I don't get very many. Once the CPU starts hovering around 50% or more, they start happening pretty frequently. That's in a mixing scenario. With VIs it's more of a crapshoot on either system, but so far 12.8 seems to be better in that regard, although I'm still seeing CPU spikes with VIs.
Thanks Dankin. I'll just wait and see.

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
hi dankin, another composer/mixer here .. are your spikes still looking like the Single Core being Higher than Other Cores in your System Usage ???

mine still is core #6 of 12 that is higher in use .. i was told that some VI's can only use a Single Core .. i am thinking that Kontakt is using that One Core more than others ...

cheers john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 07-05-2017, 11:37 PM

same here .. so random, I have tried many many things.. diabling plugs and reabling tricks it.sometimes.. and it is one core is higher
not even a lot of tracks, or vI... such a mess..
18years of tangling with this stuff in some form
ugh

Ventura ,PT 2022.10, MacbookPro 13"[2020] M1 16G, Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3..SSL Sigma summing, SMART Comp C1LA, CharterOak EQP-1 Oceanway Audio HR4S monitors . SSL X-Rack w XR618 compressors, dbx 160x [2]
Old 07-06-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
I have infos from Avis Support that the 4core CPU (the microarchitecture) of iMacs and Mac Book Pros make this CPU Peaks more than all other copmputers.
Specially in combination with CPU intensive VIs and 3rd Party Plug Ins like Wave, IZoptope, ...
There is no Solution at the moment. I tried everything and finished my work with commiting and freezing all the time.

When you have this behaviour also with (only) AVID plugs, than it could be solved with adjustment in your system.
because not all of the the AAE -9173 errors are CPU dependent.
there are some infos on Avid support page.
I must tell you that the Infos from Avid Support were absolute wrong for me.
I bought a "new" mac pro 8-core with 64GB Ram and the AAE-9173 errors are exact the same. thats very frustrating. I spent 4.000€ for nothing.

:-/
Old 07-06-2017, 04:13 AM

I found out some interesting behaviors:

I work a lot with AUX Inputs and busses while mixing. So I have best control over Instrument Groups, Drumbus, Masterbus, .. and can also mix with nice bus processing.

Plug Ins on AUX Inputs / Masterbus needs more CPU Power. I think this is a normal behavior.
But Plug Ins on AUX Inputs and the Masterbus (My Masters is not a Master- Fader, its an AUX Input bevor the Masterfader) makes the CPU meter also very very unstabil and nervous. And this brings the 9173 error very often. also when the overall CPU meter is still on 40-60% and shows no (!) overload. But the Maschine stops with 9173.

I have Sessions where 1 Abbeyroad Vinyl on the Masterbus kills my workflow and I get 9173 every 10 seconds. It makes no difference if I have a 20 track session or an 100track session. this 1 plug in on the masters makes a big difference and a lot CPU stress.

This behavior happens with "critical" Plug Ins like:
- Kramer Tappe
- Abbey Roud Vinyl (!)
- Scheps Parallel Particles
- Revibe II
- Lindell AudioTE-100
- U-He Satin
- Kush Omega 458a (the update 1.0.5 works better and needs less CPU)
and very (!) much other Plug Ins that I Love !

I would not say that these Plug Ins are bugy. They work normal in many Audio Tracks. And my mac pro (6,1) 8-core has enough power for these Plug Ins. But on the Masterbus, where all Signals are routed to, those Plugs makes absolute horror things.
no matter what buffer size is set. (256 or 2048) and all my Audiofile a Ram Cached.

This is a very important point for Avid to think about when solving this Problem.

I think this can only be solved by Avid & 3rd Party Manufaktur together. The Problem is the Audio Engine and the internal (fix) buffer of Pro Tools 12. There is expressed in a simple way not enough time to handle the complex Algorithm of these "new" CPU hungry Plug Ins in the AAE.

The Problem in my opinion is when your session has a long Routing and too much Plug Ins in „Serial“ and also a long overall Latency.
(witch normaly should not make problems when it is a good programmed DAW in Playback mode)

f.e.:
Audio Track (Snr) -> Drumgroup Aux Input -> Instrumental Aux Input -> Masterbus
and Plugs on every AUX

But exact this workflow is very important for finishing a Pro Mix (in my opinion)

I also think that Avid should make a better AAX Protokoll for 3rd Party Plug Ins, so that they don’t crash there Engine. Or they has to change there Engine.

I hope so much that Avid will find a Way and don’t wait no longer.
I am so stressed aver about 1-2 Years with this Errors and it makes no fun looking all the time on the CPU meter with a mashine that is at 50% CPU and stops all the time.

Best wishes for us all :)

Frank
Old 07-07-2017, 04:23 AM

I'm having the same problem. I have about a dozen songs in various stages I'm working on right now. Some with only a few tracks and plugins, some almost completed with 50+ tracks, many VI's, and tons of plugins (90% UAD). Since upgrading to 12.8, none of my songs will playback without getting the dreaded CPU overload (I've frozen the VI's, doesn't help).

There's not much difference in the overload error with a maxed out song and a simple one. None of the cores are past 30-40% (most below 10%) and the total system is always below 50% (and yes, my playback is set to 1024).

I've been deleting plugins from smaller 3rd party's that I don't really use much and don't really need as I've got most bases covered with UA, Waves, and Slate. So far nothing has helped. The irony is that the more I invest in UA boxes to handle the processing, the less my Mac is willing to give me from it's processor. I've got songs with virtually no native plugins or VI's and still suffer from the problem.

The problem wasn't as bad before 12.8 so I may downgrade to 12.6 but that seems like a temporary solution that won't last long. I'm not a tech head but it sounds likely that there's a software conflict somewhere in the weeds for all of us that are having this problem and no one has found it yet. Not sure where I go from here.

Now that Reason will use VST's (including UA) I could theoretically do everything I need with Reason but I've been using Pro Tools for 10 years and love the way it works when it does work. I may try working on a song with Reason only and see how it goes.

Will keep looking for clues and appreciate any solutions if out there.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:

I work a lot with AUX Inputs and busses while mixing. So I have best control over Instrument Groups, Drumbus, Masterbus, .. and can also mix with nice bus processing.

Plug Ins on AUX Inputs / Masterbus needs more CPU Power. I think this is a normal behavior.
But Plug Ins on AUX Inputs and the Masterbus (My Masters is not a Master- Fader, its an AUX Input bevor the Masterfader) makes the CPU meter also very very unstabil and nervous. And this brings the 9173 error very often. also when the overall CPU meter is still on 40-60% and shows no (!) overload. But the Maschine stops with 9173.

I have Sessions where 1 Abbeyroad Vinyl on the Masterbus kills my workflow and I get 9173 every 10 seconds. It makes no difference if I have a 20 track session or an 100track session. this 1 plug in on the masters makes a big difference and a lot CPU stress.

- Kramer Tappe
- Abbey Roud Vinyl (!)
- Revibe II
- Lindell AudioTE-100
- U-He Satin

I would not say that these Plug Ins are bugy. They work normal in many Audio Tracks. And my mac pro (6,1) 8-core has enough power for these Plug Ins. But on the Masterbus, where all Signals are routed to, those Plugs makes absolute horror things.
no matter what buffer size is set. (256 or 2048) and all my Audiofile a Ram Cached.

This is a very important point for Avid to think about when solving this Problem.

I think this can only be solved by Avid & 3rd Party Manufaktur together. The Problem is the Audio Engine and the internal (fix) buffer of Pro Tools 12. There is expressed in a simple way not enough time to handle the complex Algorithm of these "new" CPU hungry Plug Ins in the AAE.

The Problem in my opinion is when your session has a long Routing and too much Plug Ins in „Serial“ and also a long overall Latency.
(witch normaly should not make problems when it is a good programmed DAW in Playback mode)

f.e.:
and Plugs on every AUX

But exact this workflow is very important for finishing a Pro Mix (in my opinion)

I also think that Avid should make a better AAX Protokoll for 3rd Party Plug Ins, so that they don’t crash there Engine. Or they has to change there Engine.

I am so stressed aver about 1-2 Years with this Errors and it makes no fun looking all the time on the CPU meter with a mashine that is at 50% CPU and stops all the time.

Frank
Totally agree. Same workflow here. In simple sessions, it didn't appear the 9173. But in the big mixing sessions, it was really unstable.

12.8 is working really fine for me. Also, I started trying studio one (3.5) for the big mixing sessions and the response is really awesome.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:

- Kramer Tappe
- Abbey Roud Vinyl (!)
- Revibe II
- Lindell AudioTE-100
- U-He Satin

f.e.:
and Plugs on every AUX

Frank
Thanks for the great list! I seem to have similar issues with the Scheps Parallel Particles as well (haven't tried the rest).
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
what system, what computer/CPU?
I have a Mac version of PT12, a MacPro pretty mighty and the OS X Sierra.
Thanks.