Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM

Default HW Buffer / Playback Engine

I have PT 8.0.4 with the new MBox Pro 3 and a MacBook Pro 2.66 i7 with 8GB of ram. However, I am still having issues when using plug-ins and still receiving the playback engine/buffer error. I don't use all that many plug-ins, but even so, I have more than enough ram and a high-end processor in the new i7 MacBook Pro. What's the story with this? Is there an update that will help things move smoother?

Sometimes I get this error when I am using less then 5 plug-ins total. Is PT 9 better when it comes to this stuff? I haven't upgraded, but thinking about it.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Default Re: HW Buffer / Playback Engine

Have you changed the rtas engine to ONE processor?

This changes a macbook from a gibbering wreck into a stable pt machine!

You haven't given details of what the actual error is and what you have tried.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:59 PM

So I should change the buffer/dialog engine to only 1 processor? It's at 4 right now. Wouldn't only 1 processor make it slower? The error I am getting is the typical:

"You are running out of CPU power. Please increase the buffer in the playback dialogue engine or remove some plug-ins."

However, I have 8GB of ram on a 2.66Ghz MacBook Pro i7 on OSX 10.6.6 with MBox 3 Pro, which is all quite powerful. I should be able to have a fair amount of plug-ins without an issue. I get this error message when I have 2-3 plug-ins plus an instrument track with Xpand or Boom or Mini Grand instruments loaded.

I am running PT 8.0.4. Is there an update that would fix this?
Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 PM

I'm not sure I can be much help in troubleshooting but I can tell you that you should be having way better performance than that (which it sounds like you know). I have a Mac Mini 2.66 w/4GB Ram and I can run half a dozen audio tracks, Mini Grand, Strike, GuitarRig, a few reverbs, compressors, and eq's and use only about 25% cpu, and that's at the lowest latency setting.

My previous Mac had a problem similar to what you describe and I found out I installed the RAM wrong, I didn't match the pairs correctly and that solved a lot. I would highly recommend following Digi's setup guidelines, including reseating the RAM and video cards, etc. It's hard to have too many ideas without knowing your system but I assume you're following the basics like using a separate drive for audio, stuff like that.

Good luck.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:50 PM

Also, I don't have a lot of experience with changing the buffer/dialog engine to only 1 processor, I've never felt the need to! Mine has always been at 2 (out of 2) and my system runs very well.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anackman View Post
So I should change the buffer/dialog engine to only 1 processor? It's at 4 right now. Wouldn't only 1 processor make it slower? The error I am getting is the typical:

"You are running out of CPU power. Please increase the buffer in the playback dialogue engine or remove some plug-ins."

However, I have 8GB of ram on a 2.66Ghz MacBook Pro i7 on OSX 10.6.6 with MBox 3 Pro, which is all quite powerful. I should be able to have a fair amount of plug-ins without an issue. I get this error message when I have 2-3 plug-ins plus an instrument track with Xpand or Boom or Mini Grand instruments loaded.

I am running PT 8.0.4. Is there an update that would fix this?

You should change your processor count to max - 1

Read this thread for an explanation
Old 03-07-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
You should change your processor count to max - 1
+1. It's a must.

Also, I've seen people complaining about "running only a few plugins", and that turns out to be 4 or 5 Kontakts, a couple of reverbs ...
Different plugins require very different amounts of CPU and RAM.

Have you checked the CPU Usage window (or whatever it's called)?
Old 03-07-2011, 07:44 AM

My 8 GB ram seems to be installed correctly. It's a matched pair of 4GB x 2 from Crucial Technologies. I haven't had any other issues.

I'll try to bring down my processor to Max -1. That might help. I wasn't sure if there was a bug with PT 8.0.4 and/or the MBox 3 Pro.