Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 09:07 AM

Default What should I do next? Protools 7 LE with new Laptop and Windows 7

Hi, everybody! I'm new here to this forum, but I've been using Pro Tools 7 LE for a few years now. Here's my problem:

I've been using Pro Tools 7 LE on my Home Computer for 4-5 years and recently I decided to get a Laptop so I could record my students at work (guitar instructor). My Sony Vaio Laptop has Windows 7 and, I knew that Pro Tools 7 might not work on it (I even tried the virtual PC XP Mode and that didn't make it work either). So, it's true, it doesn't work. I can load it on the Laptop, but it won't recognize my M-Box 2 or open for that matter. In order to solve the problem I realize I must upgrade to Pro Tools 8 LE.

If I upgrade to Pro Tools 8 LE:

Do I need to uninstall the non-functioning Pro Tools 7 LE and then install Pro Tools 8 LE?

Will it then work and will it recognize the M-Box 2?

What's the best way to buy PT 8? How do I prove I have PT 7 if I can't even get it to work on my new laptop - I really rather not have to buy a full version! I'd really like a hard copy of 8.

I'm pretty green at most of this as I'm used to buying the program from Guitar Center, loading on my computer and using it. So, any help any of you can offer would be greatly appreciated as I'm stuck with a version I can't use!

ps- as a side note, does anyone know if Reason 3.0 works with Pro Tools 8?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 AM

Default Re: What should I do next? Protools 7 LE with new Laptop and Windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by astonmartini View Post
If I upgrade to Pro Tools 8 LE:

Do I need to uninstall the non-functioning Pro Tools 7 LE and then install Pro Tools 8 LE?
Yes.

Quote:
Will it then work and will it recognize the M-Box 2?
Maybe. Pro Tools still isn't officially qualified for Windows 7, but some people are having varying degrees of success with the current beta drivers.

Quote:
What's the best way to buy PT 8? How do I prove I have PT 7 if I can't even get it to work on my new laptop - I really rather not have to buy a full version! I'd really like a hard copy of 8.
If you already own 7, you should have it registered online. This proves you own it. Granted, if you don't have at least 7.4, you'll have to pay the same "upgrade" price as everyone else.

Quote:
ps- as a side note, does anyone know if Reason 3.0 works with Pro Tools 8?
Never tried it... but I can't imagine it running too smoothly.

Otherwise...remember that it is a minimum system requirement to use a secondary hard drive with Pro Tools for your audio. In the case of a notebook, you need to use an external FireWire drive.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
If you already own 7, you should have it registered online. This proves you own it. Granted, if you don't have at least 7.4, you'll have to pay the same "upgrade" price as everyone else.
-8.x was a paid upgrade for 7.4 owners as well... full price. There is no partial price upgrade path to PTLE 8. (When PT 8 was released, recent purchasers of hardware with older 7.x software versions were given v. 8... but that offer is long past.)
-PTLE 8, while labeled as an "upgrade", is a full version installer.
-You do not need to prove ownership of a prior version of PT OR prove that you actually own Digi/Avid hardware to purchase PTLE8. You can buy it here or at online retailers like Sweetwater.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS40 View Post
-8.x was a paid upgrade for 7.4 owners as well... full price. There is no partial price upgrade path to PTLE 8. (When PT 8 was released, recent purchasers of older versions were given version 8, but that offer is long past.)
-PTLE 8, while labeled as an "upgrade", is a full version installer.
-You do not need to prove ownership of a prior version of PT OR prove that you actually own Digi/Avid hardware to purchase PTLE8. You can buy it here or at online retailers like Sweetwater.
You're right. I was thinking moreso of the "date of purchase" deals that Digi gave for free upgrades.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515