Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2003, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Editor/Designer Forum

Gearslutz seems like a way to go.

Right now my big question is pre-amps and microphones for voice over and narration. What are people using? All I ever hear is music related. I'm finally in a position where I can get some nice stuff, and we need something clean either in a channelstrip or else with a compressor to go with it. Currently we're just using a U87 for a microphone, and I'm wondering if anybody's getting great results with something else. I've used a Sennheiser 416 in the past, and I really dug it but I no longer have access to one.

Dave
Old 07-31-2003, 08:08 AM

Doesn't this topic forum say Pt for Post and Surround? Isn't it the forum your asking for...It's up to us to create the topic of interest right...I just think most post folks are busy real busy unless we have nothing to do and then we are outside where that big hot yellow burning ball is...raising our kids....Me ..I like the cave makes me feel primal...

Oh yea... senn 416 vo for sure no additional coloration needed but the millenia sure works nice as a pre. And I have used neumanns but if we need to match productions its all about the shotgun baby...
Old 07-31-2003, 09:16 AM

If we're talking Post, stay here! Lot's of people I know read and lurk here. There is no reason you can't start a topic with EDIT/DSGN :
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:29 AM

If we're talking Post, stay here! Lot's of people I know read and lurk here. There is no reason you can't start a topic with EDIT/DSGN : or something so those interested will see it right off. As for the mic question, I've never liked the sound of a U87 for VO. Try a 416, or even better a Brauner mic. They sound incredible on a VO.

Stormtrooperpez,
Tell me about "Post production mixing and editing are very different disciplines". These days you need to be understand both. An Editor who doesn't understand mixing or the Mixer’s needs will never be able to bring usable tracks to the stage. And Mixers need to be able to edit, so they can change for the client any editorial on the stage.
Is this not true?
Old 07-31-2003, 02:21 PM

See? Already my post has been co-opted by someone looking for advice about VO micing! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Of course editors and mixers must understand one another's jobs. In practice though, I know very few people who are adept at both these tasks.

As for this being the forum I am looking for, it's not. I think it is too general. 'Post' is a huge topic covering everything from picture editing to music composition; 'Surround' is primarily a decision made by mixers on a dubbing stage, not by editors in undersized suites with only two monitors (you know who you are).

I'm just looking fo a forum with a little more focus.

AB
Old 07-31-2003, 06:25 PM

The forum is sort of like ProTools, somewhat general purpose. It also does not suffer from so much traffic that threads disappear on a regular basis.

I think it wise to leave this forum alone and perhaps investigate the Sound Design group on Yahoo, or the Cinema Audio Society discussion boards.

Also the usenet group: rec.arts.movies.production.sound
can be a useful resource.

cheers

charles maynes

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:34 PM

Charles,
I agree with almost everything you say except for talking sound design on rec.art.movies.production.sound where even discussing post gets some pretty strange comments from Production mixers who haven't ever sat in on a post mix. Going there would be a fish out of water. C.A.S. is a good place but there isn't a lot of traffic, but that may change due to the new webmaster we hired (C.A.S.). Stormtrooperpez is welcome to start one there. www.cinemaaudiosociety.org

Stormtrooperpez,I never sugested talking composition or even getting into the picture side of things. They have Avid boards for pictures and many different sites for music. Why don't you at least try getting the discussion going here?
Old 08-01-2003, 04:12 PM

posted August 01, 2003 12:15 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll go look at the C.A.S. site, but for what I do it's more broadcast oriented and not really film oriented. I'm not working in environments where the stuff I do is going to end up getting mixed on a stage. I'd love to learn about that, too, but I only have a finite amount of time to read every forum.

I know I'm not the only one out there who's daily work involves recording and editing narration, a little sound design, a little music spotting, etc, etc. I was just wondering if there's a forum/home for guys like me somewhere on the web. I'm wondering what kinds of gear makes other guys like me drool. Do post guys get turned on by a rack of Neve Mic pre's and 1176's the same way music guys do? I've done music before so I know all about that stuff, but music doesn't pay my bills. And frankly there are quite a lot of hacks who hang around the music-related forums who don't do audio for a living. I'm not interested in "What mic pre should I get" threads from home studio people. I'm just curious what other guys out there are using. I have some ideas that I think would work and could get the job done, but I'm wondering if there's something out there I haven't heard of because I'm always hanging around other music engineers and not post engineers.

Like for example, right now in our studio we've been using a U87 for VO and narration. We had a Demeter pre, but there's something wrong with it. I guess it's been re-tubed quite a few times, but it doesn't last long. So that thing needs replacing. I haven't had a chance to check it out myself because I'm just too busy with a couple big projects. My gut is to move to something like an Avalon 737 because then I get a compressor and an EQ which would be nice because currently when VO or narration gets recorded it's going through a Mackie 1604 which is just supposed to be for monitoring. It works, but it's really just a bandage. Before I go to my boss trying to get approval to buy something new, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something. So anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

Dave
dr.sound replies:
The C.A.S Forum is for all Mixing, not just Features. I was going to skip commenting on the equipment until I read your final paragraph. There are much better mics out there than a U87 for VO. Try the Brauner, they sound amazing. Add to that a top of the line Avalon mic pre or a Martinsound and you'll be very happy. The Avalon 737 is a good mic pre, but the others are much better if you can afford it.
Good Luck,
Old 08-01-2003, 04:19 PM

Hello. Dstagl I have to agree with AUDIOSFX above. The Millenia Media Origin STT-1. Tube and Solid State. Very, very clean and transparent. Rock solid.

I just reiterate the points I made initially. This is a Post forum, frequented by Post people. As the doctor and I pointed out, all that needs to happen is for more of those subjects to be brought up. The member base, and thus the people who frequent the forum, will be the same whether or not you have a separate forum. So if the subjects you want are not represented, it's probably because the majority of the people who come here don't find them interesting. Creating a separate forum wouldn't change that. I personally feel instead of if you build it they will come the motto should be if you bring it up people will talk about it. It's hard to answer a question that hasn't been asked or discuss a topic that hasn't been raised.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:15 AM

I'll go look at the C.A.S. site, but for what I do it's more broadcast oriented and not really film oriented. I'm not working in environments where the stuff I do is going to end up getting mixed on a stage. I'd love to learn about that, too, but I only have a finite amount of time to read every forum.

I know I'm not the only one out there who's daily work involves recording and editing narration, a little sound design, a little music spotting, etc, etc. I was just wondering if there's a forum/home for guys like me somewhere on the web. I'm wondering what kinds of gear makes other guys like me drool. Do post guys get turned on by a rack of Neve Mic pre's and 1176's the same way music guys do? I've done music before so I know all about that stuff, but music doesn't pay my bills. And frankly there are quite a lot of hacks who hang around the music-related forums who don't do audio for a living. I'm not interested in "What mic pre should I get" threads from home studio people. I'm just curious what other guys out there are using. I have some ideas that I think would work and could get the job done, but I'm wondering if there's something out there I haven't heard of because I'm always hanging around other music engineers and not post engineers.

Like for example, right now in our studio we've been using a U87 for VO and narration. We had a Demeter pre, but there's something wrong with it. I guess it's been re-tubed quite a few times, but it doesn't last long. So that thing needs replacing. I haven't had a chance to check it out myself because I'm just too busy with a couple big projects. My gut is to move to something like an Avalon 737 because then I get a compressor and an EQ which would be nice because currently when VO or narration gets recorded it's going through a Mackie 1604 which is just supposed to be for monitoring. It works, but it's really just a bandage. Before I go to my boss trying to get approval to buy something new, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something. So anyone have any thoughts on any of this?

Dave