Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2019, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools reinstatement plans axed from Jan 1st 2020

I'm done too! When they gave Heat to the subscription folks telling me to GTH after the money I've spent with Avid the last year I figured this wasn't going to end well. I just wish Samplitude was available on Mac.
Gigabyte RX580 8 Gb
Win 10 Pro

15" Mid-2015 MBP 2.2 GHz i7 16 Gb RAM
512 Gb Flash Drive - OS X 10.14.6
Old 11-28-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but if you’re on Mac you better not update your OS ever or your perpetual license will be unusable...
Hah! Don't worry... Apple is going to take care of you lot... And about time too! It's been a long time coming
Old 11-28-2019, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkofani View Post
Yeah, but if you’re on Mac you better not update your OS ever or your perpetual license will be unusable...

Blink

Well... yeah, that’s somewhat correct.

But that wasn’t the question. Some people still don’t get the difference, so I was just clarifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Well... yeah, that’s somewhat correct.

But that wasn’t the question. Some people still don’t get the difference, so I was just clarifying.

Yep I know but that was kind of a sarcastic question saying the line is starting to be thin between both options...

Blink
Old 11-28-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkofani View Post
Yep I know but that was kind of a sarcastic question saying the line is starting to be thin between both options...

Blink

Fair enough.

Sarcasm never comes across in text.

Old 11-28-2019, 07:20 PM

At least make a Catalina version first. smfh
Old 11-28-2019, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarnutz View Post
I'm done too! When they gave Heat to the subscription folks telling me to GTH after the money I've spent with Avid the last year I figured this wasn't going to end well. I just wish Samplitude was available on Mac.
Have you used Samplitude? It's nothing in the workflow department like PT and the GUI is so busy it looks like it was made by a kid with a spray can.. It's so overrated. I thought I hated S1's GUI till I saw samplitude's LOL.

The heat and plug in bundle annoys me too, that NEW users can currently get it incl PT for $99 a year.. but as I said in another topic, this is a tactic of Avid's to get people to crossgrade and throw away their perpetual licenses so everyone goes to sub and therefore must always be paying to use it. ****ty move but I think most of them stink these days.

Overall I think Cubase is where it's at..
Still, I'd always miss PT's clip gain feature.. people keep saying all the other DAWs are the same wherever I go but they obviously never used PT where you don't need to split clips up and can just highlight and instantly drag up and down on as many parts of the clip you want..

Other than that, Cubase, or if on windows, S1.. I've recently uncovered mac S1 performance is still terrible vs Logic and PT but on Windows it's golden. Very very powerful DAW.

Or of course there's always Logic if you are willing to cope with the inspector box for clip gain and problems with automation timing when using latent effects.. If you can do that, Logic is very powerful and ridiculously efficient.

Logic definitely the most efficient DAW on mac, but S1/Cubase in bootcamp on the same mac beats even Logic using same plug in FX.. sometimes by 25%! That's a limitation of OSX and has been since the very first release all those years ago.

Anyway, next May for their annual 50% upgrade sale, I will upgrade to Cubase 10.5 and never look back.. Decision has finally been made. In the meantime I can still use 9,5 on the imac pro and bootcamp.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:11 AM

Avid do listen to us, but not for us but for getting more money. When they went 200$ for the reinstatement, we did our numbers and if we waited 3 years we could reinstate basically for the same price as before. Now they have seen this and eliminates the reinstatement unless you go with Their plan. What a shame Avid.

I trusted Avid and and that’s why I gave up Nuendo....the biggest mistake I’ve made.

One customer less for Avid.
Old 11-29-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhoof View Post
Haha, this made my day

fortunately it’s on apple and steinberg to fix that.

Old 11-29-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I cannot update my old Adobe or Microsoft without subscription so what was your point again?
Not accurate. Those other companies mainly offer subscriptions, for their perpetually own-able software their are updates in place without time restrictions. Of course, I was also referring to companies within our field of DAW usage, and I don't know any company than doesn't offer an upgrade for existing software.

It's conceivable that if my update plan runs out in December of this year and I don't renew, within a few months I will have a very recent version of Pro Tools but no option to get any updates other than to buy the software again.