Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-29-2002, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Why Can\'t I Get Pro Tools To Sound Like A Record? Need Help Bad!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BaRaq':
I really love the input from ejsongs! All I do is study people and admire how they developed their signature sound. i.e. George Martin! He did things with the Beatles that never was done before. He made all of those hit records with 2 4 tracks locked together. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you think that's impressive, in fact those two four-track machines weren't even lock together; they had to bounce tracks between the two. It wasn't until 1967 that Martin was able to work with eight tracks simultaneously.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:39 AM

In My approach to making Hip-Hop music is the fact that I strive to go beyond 2 "HOT" bars which seems to be the De Facto of the genre since 1983. I'm going after that Phil Spector wall of sound feel. Since We are living in a new century wouldn't it be time to hear EPIC's instead of just an "ALBUM". i.e. A 10 song album which each song is 74 minutes long thus making the album 10 CD's costing $81.00. I think this is very much possible. Maybe in 5.1 or 7.1 surround! No one has ever attempted to try this. Some may say that this is to much but I think 3-5 minute songs don't always express the artist full intent. The song could start out as a monophonic piece sounding similar to an old gramaphone to a transistor to first stereo to quadraphonic to samples to an orchestra to surround back to where it started. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 03-29-2002, 07:53 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mt.Everest:

Also dont use Genelecs or other hyped monitors too much. THEY SOUND TOO GOOD.
99% of the people listening to a CD hear it on their cheap AIWA stereo or their car. Play a great mix on a tiny speaker and see how it holds its own.

You need good monitors to hear the subs and the air, but you should always spend alot of time making it work on things like NS10s or radioshack speakers.

MT
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never done a mix on my 1031s that didn't translate very well to pretty much everywhere I played it. That's why I bought 'em.

I make ref cds and play 'em in boom boxes, the car, etc. When I have problems, it's not my Genelec's fault [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

By the same token, when I used to ONLY have NS10s, those mixes sound awful now on the Genny's.
Old 03-30-2002, 07:48 AM

This question is for Tom Hartman!

I use Behringer TRUTH's for monitoring. I am really having a problem getting good mixes. I do a great deal of hip-hop mixing on them and can't seem to get a good mix from them. The frequency range is 50Hz to 20KHz. The room is not tuned but have diffussers on the back wall, bass traps in all 4 corners, and about 20 AURELEX panels in the front of the studio. The cost to tune My room is $90.00 an hour which the guy said should take 2-3 hours to do. I would have to work that into the budget if that is the case. The TRUTH's look like Mackie rip-offs but those were in the budget at the time. I don't want to feel as if these are a waste of money. I always hear that a true engineer should be able to mix on anything. I am not a true engineer as of yet but I am working really hard at it. Can you suggest any good information on making good use of what I have at this moment. I've listed everything in my studio at the beginning of this thread.

Peace! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-18-2016, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Why Can't I Get Pro Tools To Sound Like A Record? Need Help Bad!

haha laughing at myself here. I still can't make PT "sound like a record", but I get pretty close these days! Amazing the stuff you learn over time.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaSutra77 View Post
haha laughing at myself here. I still can't make PT "sound like a record", but I get pretty close these days! Amazing the stuff you learn over time.
Yeah, it can be like learning to play an instrument or becoming proficient at anything. You gotta put the hours in

Tom W

www.waltzmastering.com
Old 12-19-2016, 09:54 AM

What's a Record?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 12-29-2016, 08:26 PM

I've been trying to make Protools sound like a record for over a decade, no luck yet. Anybody else have any luck?

I keep trying....one day.....one day.....

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 12-29-2016, 08:49 PM

The Journey of a thousand miles, begins with an email to the mastering engineer!!!! True story
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
The Journey of a thousand miles, begins with an email to the mastering engineer!!!! True story

So true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis