Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-25-2022, 02:56 PM

Default Destructive Punch File Length

Why is Destructive Punch File Length in preferences, which are global, when the length is session-specific? It should be in Session Setup. Am I right?
Old 05-25-2022, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Destructive Punch File Length

Yes it should be per session. Or maybe just smartly calculated for your selection and not have to set it each time!

But it's always been in global Prefs right?
Old 05-25-2022, 07:35 PM

It's always been in global prefs, but it appears to be stored in the open PTX file, because it will change based on what session was loaded, and what length was last saved with that session. So by definition, it's not a pref right now and never was.

Obviously, this is not a serious issue, but it would be mentally clearer if it was set in Session Setup.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Yes it should be per session. Or maybe just smartly calculated for your selection and not have to set it each time!

But it's always been in global Prefs right?
Or based on the video reference track; I never use DP as most of our shows are in multiple parts..
Old 05-26-2022, 04:48 AM

The PT preferences are not by definition global. A good bunch of them is actually session bound, but there is no indication whatsoever which ones are and which ones are not.
Afaik the DP length is indeed session bound and not global.

There's an article about it, highlighting the local preferences.
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...tween-sessions
Old 05-26-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Why is Destructive Punch File Length in preferences, which are global, when the length is session-specific? It should be in Session Setup. Am I right?
Because your DP file length might change within a session (super session w multiple reels). Having the DP length in the session setup doesn’t make sense. You’re not changing the sample rate or bit depth or frame rate (usually) mid session, which are all in the session setup window. All features related to how the session is initially setup. Meaning, usually set it and forget it.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:31 AM

But what possible reason exists for this setting in the year 2022?

I get the original reasoning behind it. I always thought it was stupid but I got it. But we’re not manually allocating finite spinning disk storage anymore. Why can’t this be dynamic and automatic?
Old 05-26-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
But what possible reason exists for this setting in the year 2022?

I get the original reasoning behind it. I always thought it was stupid but I got it. But we’re not manually allocating finite spinning disk storage anymore. Why can’t this be dynamic and automatic?
I think there might be a misunderstanding of what DP file length means and does in Pro Tools.

It’s still pretty common place on dub stages to use DP mode on stem recorders. I agree, the process could be streamlined to just accept a timeline selection as your DP length but perhaps that’s a feature to look forward too.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
I think there might be a misunderstanding of what DP file length means and does in Pro Tools.

It’s still pretty common place on dub stages to use DP mode on stem recorders. I agree, the process could be streamlined to just accept a timeline selection as your DP length but perhaps that’s a feature to look forward too.
Yes I'm very familiar with it. A selection would be ideal for separate reels like you mentioned or long form shows broken into segments.

In my head I'm thinking you could designate certain regions/selections as DPE on demand. They would be set and marked as such and remembered per session. It would just be easier and cleaner.
Old 05-27-2022, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Yes I'm very familiar with it. A selection would be ideal for separate reels like you mentioned or long form shows broken into segments.

In my head I'm thinking you could designate certain regions/selections as DPE on demand. They would be set and marked as such and remembered per session. It would just be easier and cleaner.
Woah! Discontiguous destructive punch zones? My head is spinning. Cool idea. DP stem recording (even on single system mixes) is still an essential part of my workflow.

Farhoof, I completely missed that PTE article. I had no idea there were that many 'local' PT prefs compared to 'global.' So many of those are the same among my sessions that I never noticed they were traveling with the session. Interesting.