Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2022, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate Shuts Down After a few seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franzen View Post
... I'm thinking it is related to ... afraid of screwing something up!
Great advice above! Have you tried restoring a previously working boot-drive image? If you are still stuck after all this troubleshooting, then it's clean install time. If you are afraid of screwing something up, just go slow & Google/YouTube if you have questions/issues. Methodically one step at-a-time, & testing before proceeding to the next step. Take multiple boot-drive-images as you go along. Do it right & move on. Not rocket science.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 04-06-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Great advice above! Have you tried restoring a previously working boot-drive image? If you are still stuck after all this troubleshooting, then it's clean install time. If you are afraid of screwing something up, just go slow & Google/YouTube if you have questions/issues. Methodically one step at-a-time, & testing before proceeding to the next step. Take multiple boot-drive-images as you go along. Do it right & move on. Not rocket science.
Yes, I dead a clean install (windows, PT, etc), and no luck. At this points its not rocket science but one of lifes mysteries
Old 04-06-2022, 10:46 AM

So to recap.

Pro Tools is shutting down, cleanly, exactly as if you tell it to shut down, we know that from the Pro Tools logs. That normally requires you to menu>quit or Command-Q and if a session is open confirm a save if one is pending. Or do a save then quit and see no save confirmation dialog. i.e. do a Command-S then Command-Q etc.

Pro Tools is not crashing or being killed by Windows, if bad bad things were happening they would be in the Windows Event Log.

I'd be surprised that a GPU problem causes an application to cleanly shutdown with no history of errors/logged events. You are referring to stuff you are finding on the Internet, why don't you link to exactly what you are looking at here. But if you suspect the GPU the simplest and most though test is just yank it out and run on the internal Intel graphics. When stuck troubleshooting keeping trying a linear chain of little things often does not help, better to tray bold large steps to exclude or include possible issues.

You hopefully have excluded plugins... they can do whatever, an errant plugin could well cause a shutdown, but that would still be very very unusual.

Your computer is presumably used as a gamer PC given the motherboard and GPU.. lots of gamer PCs end up with funky software and peripherals on them. Do you have any scripting/automation software, keyboard macro software etc.? that could be sending a Command-S and/or Command-Q keyboard sequences to Pro Tools? Funky keyboard or mouse etc. drivers? You have not say mapped function keys to do stuff etc? Got macros installed to play games? Either way I would swap the keyboard for something else believed to be good in case it is faulty. Would Pro Tools quit when you are doing nothing on the computer? Not touching the keyboard or mouse? What happens if you leave the computer running overnight with just Pro Tools running?

Double checked all optimizations are made, including all power related settings.

You talk about doing a clean install but then it seems you ended up with lots of stuff reinstalled and the problem recurred (a possible sign that it was due to software you did reinstall) and then you uninstalled some of it. (and that's hoping the uninstallers actually work properly). That is not the way to debug this, if nothing else is working then you really are past the time to try do a clean minimal Windows test install, not even letting plug and pray screw with the system. Get the NVIDA GPU out of the picture and do that install with just the Intel graphics. Absolutely minimal as possible. Do this test install on a spare drive or partition. Disconnect other drives if you want more insurance you are not going to mess them up. Then only audio interface drivers, Pro Tools and ILM, avoid anything else unless absolutely needed to just test Pro Tools. And leave the system there and confirm it's stable as long as you can, adding plugins or stuff you absolutely need to use Pro Tools, you can boot to the existing image if you need to do other work. Then slowly over time try installing more stuff stuff you need to this image. Maybe starting with reinstalling the NVIDIA GPU. And because you are dealing with an intermittent problem you may need to be prepared to do testing over a very long time (and dual-boot may help you do that).
Old 04-06-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Yes, I dead a clean install (windows, PT, etc), and no luck. At this points its not rocket science but one of lifes mysteries
You did a clean install and things appeared to work OK. You then reinstalled what seems like a lot of stuff and problems reoccurred? Right? So what is that possibly telling you? You have to be very careful with intermittent problems, maybe you did not test for long enough on the clean install? Maybe the problem is related to something you reinstalled?
Old 04-06-2022, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You did a clean install and things appeared to work OK. You then reinstalled what seems like a lot of stuff and problems reoccurred? Right? So what is that possibly telling you? You have to be very careful with intermittent problems, maybe you did not test for long enough on the clean install? Maybe the problem is related to something you reinstalled?
Darryl, I might have created confusion. When I said I did a clean install of windows and installed PT the shutdown did happen - with no 3rd party plugins installed. That is why, back in my first message, I mentioned I tried installing different releases of PT .6, .7, etc. There where no other installations other then PT and its native plugins.
The only behavior I noticed was that if I turned on my workstation lanched PT and nothing else it would work fine. If, however, I needed to check my e-mail on Chrome it would eventually shut down.
This shut down could happen when it was idle, or after I just clicked on a track, or after I added a plugin, or minutes after fiddling around with it.
That is why I originally thought that Chrome was the problem. So I basically stopped using Chrome. It was the most practicall solution back then.
I eventually installed my 3rd party plugins again and as long as Chrome wasn't open I wasn't having trouble.
Recently what happend was that I had to open a pdf file and an excel spreadsheet while working and the shutdown ocurred again. So once more I tried to come back to the issue and try ro figure out what was happening because...its probably not Chrome.

If you check my original post (the first thing I wrote) I did mentioned some of the optimizations and troubleshooting I did.
Regarding the similar situation I found in another forum, this is it. If you go to page to you will find a reply by SalimAmrari:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...c-7bf4de74c998

I have been having the exact same issues. I've unsinstalled windows update several time and I was struggling to prevent my computer to download the updates since more or less 2 months.

After several researchs on the web I end up finding this :

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...y-update-issue

I do not know if you guys have asus tweak installed but it was my case. I had not much hope but I was on the point to re-install my os from scratch so I decided to give it a try. I've uninstalled asus tweak then re-installed windows updates. Surprisingly, everything seems to work fine for now.

Although my PC looks like a gaming station it is not one - I don't even have steam installed. I do not have gaming macros, controls surfaces, funky gaming keyboards or mouses. I mentioned before, I have a keystation 66 by arturia, a iD22, a HP keyboard (a little old), a mouse and a camera...
Old 04-06-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
... I've uninstalled asus tweak then re-installed windows updates. Surprisingly, everything seems to work fine for now...
Take a boot-drive image NOW & save it! What exactly did the "asus tweak" address?
Click for resume
Old 04-06-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Again, did you try restoring a previously working boot-drive image?
Click for resume
Old 04-06-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
If you suspect the NVIDIA GPU what I'd do is power off, physically remove the NVIDIA GPU and power back up using the Intel CPU graphics. Don't dink with any software installs. Don't worry about graphics performance you are just testing to see if it shuts down.
Darryl, after removing my GPU should I uninstall the Nvidia drivers that where installed for that GPU?
Old 04-06-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Darryl, after removing my GPU should I uninstall the Nvidia drivers that where installed for that GPU?
Nope, I would just do a test by removing the GPU. But I am not convinced it’s likely a GPU problem, but let’s see…
Old 04-06-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Nope, I would just do a test by removing the GPU. But I am not convinced it’s likely a GPU problem, but let’s see…
Thanks, Darryl, I'll try this and let you know!