Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 01-05-2022, 10:40 AM

Default Create project from template, no sound

I'm using a Motu M4. I press play, no sound. I resetted all the IO inputs and set the playback engine, the meters aren't even moving. It's all very unintuitive.

I figured I'd open a sample project to see how everything works, but that's kind of hard when it doesn't work.

Any ideas?
Old 01-05-2022, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Create project from template, no sound

Tough to say without seeing what you are doing. Instead of starting with a template, start a new session(and I do mean "session" and not "project"). Create a mono audio track and a stereo instrument track. For the mono audio trrack, set the input to the first input of your interface and click the red "record" button on the track and see if you hear your mic(or whatever is plugged into that input) and if you see the meter move(assuming you have the preamp GAIN turned up to the proper level). If that's working, great. On the instrument track, insert one of the included instrument plugins(MiniGrand is my usual recommendation for testing). Once the plugin is fully loaded, mouse-click on some of the keys on the plugin. Are you hearing piano? Report back after trying these things.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-05-2022, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Create project from template, no sound

^^^ Good advice But before doing that make sure Pro Tools can play back basic content. Create a new empty session (not from Template). And drag and drop a known good commercial audio recording into the edit window and you should see Pro Tools ask you about creating an audio track. Get that work work and play correctly before trying to do anything else.

You need to learn how to use Pro Tools, randomly trying stuff is not the best way, and very frustrating for you. There are no end of useful tutorials on getting started using Pro Tools on places like YouTube or different paid lesson services like Groove3. Pro Tools is like say AutoCAD, you don't just open it up and design a building, or even a garden shed, or shovel. It's too complex to spend your time trying to work out yourself how it works, you should to be following tutorials and documentation (Pro Tools Reference Guide... have the PDF on your desktop readly to search in for stuff... it's a very good reference guide *not* at all a getting started tutorial).