Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 08-08-2011, 11:00 AM

Default HD9 Native unable to find hw interface

My first post here. I have searched for an answer to this but I seem to be unable to find a solution that matches my setup. So here goes...

Recently bought ProTools 9HD (I had PT 9 before) with a Native card. And also a blueface 192 interface. Installed and it all worked fine. That was two, three weeks ago.
Yesterday I returned to the studio and started PT and after loading all the plugins and so on during startup I got an alert window saying this "Unable to find an Audio Interface attached to the first HD card. Please check power and DigiLink cables."
So I checked all hardware. I then ran a digitest that came up ok, no errors at all. I found a thread saying that SL 10.6.8 might be causing problems for some users. So I performed a downgrade and I'm now at 10.6.6. Reinstalled PT, but no luck. Still the exact same problem. Talked to the Avid reseller in Sweden and got the advise to check the DigiLink cable connector but that seems to be fine and the digitest confirmes that I guess, at least no error reports...
Opened the mac and took out the Native card and then re-seated it in the PCIe slot again. Still no luck.
(PT9 runs ok with my RME Fireface btw)
I opened the Digi Core Audio Driver but the hardware wont connect there either...

I'm lost... for now.

MacPro 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Pro Tools HD 9.0.3, ProTools HD Native PCIe card, Digidesign 192 I/O
Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Default Re: HD9 Native unable to find hw interface

You may want to try the 9.0.4 update. More information here:
Knowledge Base 411871
And here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=305550
Old 08-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid View Post
You may want to try the 9.0.4 update. More information here:
Knowledge Base 411871
And here:
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=305550
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I did also try the PT 9.0.4 update. As a last resort. Though I'm not sure if that was before or after I downgraded to OS 10.6.6...
I think it could have been while the mac was still running 10.6.8.

I just read this http://avid.custkb.com/avid/app/self...p?DocId=411871
And I wonder if I should try to install 9.0.4 again and maby upgrade to 10.6.7 (or not) to see if the firmware gets upgraded ok. I do remember that after having installed 9.0.4 the previous time a dialog box came up saying the firmware was being upgraded. The same thing happened when I later on took it back down to 9.0.3 again, then the firmware was downgraded. I have a strong feeling that this is not just a bad cable/connector that everybody else is telling me...
Old 08-09-2011, 09:28 AM

Today I was still unable to get Pro Tools HD to work. I had an important project that needed mixing so I had to use PT9 with my trusty old RME Fireface. Not as good sound but at least it works
Before calling it a day I did an install of 9.0.4 as suggested by the Avid administrator. Nothing changed. PT9 still wont find the hardware.
I need a day off from this PT headache, but later this week I will perform a complete clean sweep of my Macpro. Installing OSX from fresh and then install everything else. As you all might know this is nothing one looks forward to. So if someone at Avid is reading this and has a solution, now is the time to step up to the plate...
Old 08-09-2011, 04:55 PM

I think your probably best off sitting at 10.6.6 and running 9.0.3.
Do the firmware reset on the native card so it will take the older firmware.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
I think your probably best off sitting at 10.6.6 and running 9.0.3.
Do the firmware reset on the native card so it will take the older firmware.
Maby you are right. However, I'm running 10.6.6 now and have tried PT 9.0.3 already and the problem was still there. And so I tried the 9.0.4 fix that Avid suggested. The trouble persists...
Old 08-10-2011, 03:19 PM

I had the same problem a while ago. I fixed it by holding the letter N from the moment you see the Pro Tools splash screen when you start it. There I selected another playback engine. Then I closed pro tools and restarted again with the letter N and re-selected the native card. Maybe this helps you too.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM

Successfully did my 10.6.8 and 9.0.4 update, so scratch my 10.6.6, 9.0.3 advice.
Are you sure you are running the right firmware for the version you are using?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBeukers View Post
I had the same problem a while ago. I fixed it by holding the letter N from the moment you see the Pro Tools splash screen when you start it. There I selected another playback engine. Then I closed pro tools and restarted again with the letter N and re-selected the native card. Maybe this helps you too.
Thanks for your tip! I will try this and see if it solves the problem.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyDazzler View Post
Successfully did my 10.6.8 and 9.0.4 update, so scratch my 10.6.6, 9.0.3 advice.
Are you sure you are running the right firmware for the version you are using?
Firmware... well I'm not really sure how many different versons there are. One version came with PT 9.0 (9.0.3) and when I installed 9.0.4 the firmware got upgraded.