Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 03-09-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Digi... are these problems on the PC side too?

Can you say Vista? You may be changing one set of problems for another. My experience is the opposite of what's been posted here. Every comp I've ever encountered running pt on windows has been nothing but problems. My mac based HD3 rig is pretty damn stable.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:14 PM

Our studio has been having nothing but problems with OSX on a G5 with 3 gigs of ram. Im pretty fed up with it myself. Our systems crash constantly. Were reloading the os on two computers this week. Weird unexplained issues. We spend more time fixing issues then recording sometimes. Not the kind of performance you expect from a 3000 + computer and a 20k protools rig. OSX latley has been reminding me of the windows 98 days as far as stability. I just never know when it going to completly freeze up on me or quit protools. I apple S so much my hand cramps. LOL

Im actually going to build a Vista PC soon and see how the new protools runs on it when it comes out. So far this OS is very stable on my home computer and im optimistic its going to be a stable platform for protools. I have yet to have one single problem with it at home. Been using it a week and not one crash. But the real test will be loading up a bunch of tracks on it with plugins. Honestly I think it will handle it fine. Im going to slap together a nice strong pentium system with a ton of ram and see what happens.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:30 AM

We are still running on a G5 dual with PT 7.1 and it's very stable. I'm wondering if the switch to Intel has something to do with some of the problems we're seeing as Digi had to put an awful lot of man hours into making the whole app UB (and this may have unsettled some of the core code?). To be fair to Digi re-writing for Intel on OSX was always going to be a tedious job and not particularly glamorous.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Digi... are these problems on the PC side too???

Seems the PC side was having the regions problem with 7.2
Don't know if 7.3 cleared it up for them.

Thread

Protools 2023.6
Old 03-11-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
We are still running on a G5 dual with PT 7.1 and it's very stable. I'm wondering if the switch to Intel has something to do with some of the problems we're seeing as Digi had to put an awful lot of man hours into making the whole app UB (and this may have unsettled some of the core code?). To be fair to Digi re-writing for Intel on OSX was always going to be a tedious job and not particularly glamorous.
Dang we need to call you and get your config. I know that big studios i have recorded at have HD mac setups that run without flaw. I dont know what is different about ours.

We are using the older G5s with the non intel processors. Dont know if that might be an issue.

Macs are beasts that I dont fully understand yet. I feel helpless at their mercy. I try giving the G5 a good sweet talking but it hasnt been working. heh. I think its mad at me.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:11 AM

My experience and all i heard is also quite opposite. The people i know on the PCs do have lots of problems - and on my 3 mac systems (and the ones i know from other users) i do not even remember how a crash looks like - really - for last 3 years or so we had no crash at all (doing quite big film-sessions). I wonder what the problem could be with your crashing systems? PlugIns? Hope the best for you - and for Vista i would wait some time at least...
Old 03-12-2007, 07:15 AM

I'm running a G4/1.25, 1.25gig ram, sys 10.3.8, HD2 with PT 6.9.1 and it has been running mostly flawlessly for me since 6.7 for maybe 2 years except for one known bug, which is the muting of and output when activating or adding a track. That bug has been there since 5.3.1. This set up is just about as stable as 5.3.1 on sys 9, which for me was very stable. The other is every once in a while when i hit record I get a digital buzz in the audio and the track won't record. There are things I don't like about it but it is stable. I'm really holding off on 7 since I see so many problems. BTW I don't use WAVES.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:01 AM

My 5 cents.....

OSX is by far a more stable plattform than any Microsoft product thing. The code in PC products is corrupted from Scratch. Ive been working +20 years with far more exhaustive applications than ProTools on computers (Very heavy 3D programs like Maya etc) and weve always had nothing but problems with the PC plattform. OSX is UNIX. Stable if you compare, For 5 years I worked solely on Silicon Graphics Machines - but nowadays Mac saves the day. Vista - Forgat about it. Nothing works on it. It will take years before you can call that a trust Working environment (if ever)

Problems with crashes is often related to other things in OSX, like plist conflicts and rotten application support settings.
Keep your system clean and tidy to begin with. Now this is something that not everyone care about.
But its important to maintain the system continously (much like a woman if you wanna make it work)
Do the repair of permissions when you install something etc.....

Anyway - Remember : You are working with music, so youre one of the lucky ones nomatterwhat! :-D

/P
Old 03-12-2007, 11:48 AM

I have two G5 Dual 2 Gig machines running P Tools 7.1cs (whatever the last one was) and have not had a crash in over a year. I stayed awy from 7.2 becuase it wasn't really music centric and I bought 7.3 but won't be installing it until I have time to take a chance on it. I do get the graphic freeze thing fairly frequently and, although it is annoying, it hasn't done any damage and I've learned to live with it. I produce and record full on records with live drum tracking, lotsa instruments, vocals and VI's. Plus, we mix in the box. These records do come out on real record labels, both Indie and Major, so there is no compromise workloadwise as far as heavy usage of the gear and there can be no questions about whether or not the systems will function dependably to meet the scary deadlines. I only mention this to underscore the point that there are Mac systems out there that are rock solid and productive.

It seems to me that the problems that people experience with Pro Tools, either on Mac or PC, are system specific. I feel your pain. I've definitely had my share of machine madness but the last year and a half has been madness free, machine wise at least.