Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 08:33 AM

Default Automating Plugins

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm looking to tweak synth filters etc during a song. Thanks for any help.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:52 AM

Default Re: Automating Plugins

Make sure you have your Inserts viewable. Insert your desired plugin (Plugin will open). On the actual track (close to the volume meter), there is a read clickable box. Click this and choose write. In the plugin window, click auto and a new window will pop up. Select only the controls you plan on automating and be sure to move them from one side to the other.

From here, there's two ways to work with it.

1. From the start of your song, press play and move the plugin controls you wish to move (Will only work if they are selected to be Auto. These controls will have red highlights.). When you're done, hit stop and where it said write, it will (I think) say latch. You can change this back to read and hit safe in the plugin window before closing it.

2. Like switching from normal track view to volume view, once you've got the plugin controls set up for automation, you can go to that menu and choose the controls you want to view in. Then just like editing volume or panning, click on the black line and create/move breakpoints to where you want them. Haven't done this myself, but you should be able to change write to read
Old 10-23-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:
...press play and move the plugin controls you wish to move (Will only work if they are selected to be Auto. These controls will have red highlights.)..
Is there a way of linking those controls to physical ones on a midi controller? That would be excellent.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:18 AM

Thanks for your help, #2 was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:03 PM

cheekypaul, I'm sorry, I don't work with MIDI as I only have an mbox 1, and no current need for MIDI (as of yet). Perhaps start a new post asking your question.

bakerusc, glad I was able to explain it enough for you