Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 11:03 AM

Default Carving EQ holes

I need some info or documentation on carving EQ holes w/ digirack EQ's or similar. I can boost frequencies but how do you cut them?

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Carving EQ holes

cuting frequencies is the opposite of boosting.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:10 AM

I feel stupid now.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:29 PM

I'll take this opportunity to ask another potential silly question.

I've seen advice given to cut certain bass frequencies and boost others on the same instrument/track. Do you have to use 2 EQ plugs to do this, or is there a feature on the EQ plug that I missed?
Old 11-18-2003, 12:43 PM

Depends on how many bands your eq has. On a bass track, I generally use a 4-band, which allows me to do a lo-cut, a mud scoop, a harmonic boost (around 2-3khz), and finally, a low-cut in the higher register.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:46 PM

Hi,

Traditionally this is a technique involving 2 separate EQ's, so if you end up cutting 400hz on, say, a kick drum, perhaps you may end up boosting the bass there - or if you end up boosting a main vocal a little at 3k, some people will cut everything else a little in the same spot. There are no "magical" frequencies that will automatically fix things up, but, yes, it is one method of trying to give overlapping sounds their own "space".
Old 11-20-2003, 06:55 AM

Pk & Proxy,

Maybe I should have expained my confusion a little better. I thought I read on these threads on several ocassions to cut a frequency, say around 20hz, but also to boost a different/higher frequency, say around 200hz... on the same track. Say a bass guitar. I could be mistaken, but if I'm not, would this require using a second EQ plug... if I'm using the PT stock 4 band EQ? The answer now seems to be an obvious yes now that I write it out this way.

So my new question is, is this something that's done? Could there be a situation where I would want to cut one end and boost the other end of a bass frequency, and use 2 EQ plugs?

I find it difficult to separate bass and kick without making the kick sound weak. I have a thought. On a bass track, if I were to cut higher bass frequencies and boost lower frequencies; then do the opposite on the kick, cutting the lower and boosting the higher bass frequencies, would this help me. Is the difference between 20hz and 200hz enough to separate kick and bass?
Old 11-20-2003, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Pk & Proxy,

Maybe I should have expained my confusion a little better. I thought I read on these threads on several ocassions to cut a frequency, say around 20hz, but also to boost a different/higher frequency, say around 200hz... on the same track. Say a bass guitar. I could be mistaken, but if I'm not, would this require using a second EQ plug... if I'm using the PT stock 4 band EQ? The answer now seems to be an obvious yes now that I write it out this way.

So my new question is, is this something that's done? Could there be a situation where I would want to cut one end and boost the other end of a bass frequency, and use 2 EQ plugs?
Maybe I need more coffee, dunno, but I'm reading your question again, and reading my previous reply - again - and I can't seem to figure out what's confusing you.

"Could there be a situation where I would want to cut one end and boost the other end of a bass frequency, and use 2 EQ plugs?"

Yes, there are many situations where you need to cut and boost on the same track, that's why they make eq's ranging from 1 to 10 or more bands. Personally, I've never used 2 different eq's on the same track, I find one that works and stick with it, though I can see that in some cases, one particular eq may not fulffill the sonic needs, so you follow it up with another.

For more on eq and everything else - bookmark this:
StudioCovers

Old 11-20-2003, 08:27 AM

Your orginal answer refered to a one 4 band EQ. And Proxy spoke on 2 plugs on separate tracks. I understood both of your answers, but they didn't address what I intended to ask.

My question was about 2 adjustments in one band, on one track, but I didn't think it was clear so I restated it. Ultimately, I was trying to get at the use of 2 4 band EQ plugs on one track in the absence of a plug with more bands.

It's me that needs the coffee.
Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 PM

The Studio Covers site has some good general tips for eq'ing - but keep in mind some of the dates on the references they use. To stay current in your music vibe, listen to the changing mixing trends. An 80's kick doesn't sound like a 2003 kick. Theres a lot more lower stuff (45 to 60Hz) - and no, not just in hip hop. A nice, full bass that's working well with this kick and giving some rumble that's tasteful is happening a lot.

Just something to keep in mind as you're devloping your mixing skills...