How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-11-2022, 05:11 PM

Default Pro Tools won't open

Windows 10 latest version.
Pro Tools latest version (2022.4).
I've tried all the basic troubleshooting: Reboot computer, trash prefs, uninstall and reinstall protools, turn off windows defender, run as administrator.

I'm guessing that Pro Tools does not have permissions to read many of the necessary files to open correctly.

Exhibit A) When I open Pro Tools, it tells me these plugins are not valid 64 bit plugins.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oilrpefhod...g-Ins.png?dl=0

These are not in the AAX Plugins folder. These are core aax plugins that are required for protools to run. Even if I select to move them (which I shouldn't) I can't because it says Access is denied.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p1ujdu9gi5..._06-2.png?dl=0

After getting passed this, I get this message: Pro Tools has encountered an unrecognized component and must now exit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qug7kntvc8...1_10-.png?dl=0

My only option is to click "OK" after which it exits.

Has anybody seen anything similar and remember how to fix it? I'm at a loss.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Protools won't open

Without a lot more info, its near impossible to offer any suggestions. Start by having a read with the link near the top of this(and every) DUC page called Help Us Help You.

Next, was this version of PT installed over a previous version? Its best to uninstall any version before installing a newer(or older) version of PT(to do this, you need to right-click Start and select Apps and features, then select Programs and features(upper right).

When doing an uninstall, if you have a checkbox option to also remove the HD driver, do select that(no matter what hardware you use).

Without more info to guide, I would uninstall PT, download it again(in case the download you have is corrupt) and try again(after a reboot).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-12-2022, 01:15 PM

No surgery was done to Windows? This was a standard install of Windows? Is not a clone/restoration? It’s a standard Windows NTFS file system? Pro Tools executable is installed in the default location on the C: drive?

What is the history of this computer? Did Pro Tools ever run on it? Did you build it and install software on it or did somebody do that for you? Etc.

Post a SiSoft Sandra report.

Can you manually move those plugin files from the File Explorer or CMD shell? (EDIT: Oops and of course it turns out a typical setup user (including one in the Admin group) on Windows does not have permission to move the those systems plugins to the Unused folder, so that suggestion is of no use -- and I suspect that the developers may have messed this up and possiblet Pro Tools itself can't move those files, which may explain the failure message when Pro Tools tries to do that. And that's not really going to help anyhow since it's not going to get you back any of these usable systems plugins).

If you cannot do that: What permissions does you used ID have? (edit just run whoami /all)

And either way: What are the file and directory permissions for the plugin folders, files and Unused folder. (edit run cacls on the file and folders).

My gut feel is this is very likely to be Windows messed up. And if things are not resolved fast you might save time and just jump to doing a clean Windows install.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-12-2022 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 01:38 PM

As Darryl said above... A Sandra report may show clues to this. Please post it here in this thread.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 05-12-2022, 03:17 PM

Try moving ALL plug-ins to the unused plug-ins folder. Start Pro Tools. If it works, then you have some offending plug-ins to sort out.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
Try moving ALL plug-ins to the unused plug-ins folder. Start Pro Tools. If it works, then you have some offending plug-ins to sort out.
No. This will not be another plugin causing problems. Read what he's posted and pointed out very clearly, he is not talking about standard plugins in the standard.aaxplugin folder, this is Pro Tools vomiting about it's internal systems plugins and then failing when trying to move them to the standard Unused folder.

--

I mean I admire Pro Tools eagerness to try to do something if it thinks the system plugins are toast but what the heck is moving them to the Unused folder really going to achieve? It can't restore "good" systems plugins, these are all it has. Pro Tools attempt to move those plugins to Unused may just be failing because it does not have correct permissions. But why are the system plugins broken to start with.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-12-2022 at 04:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools won't open

It worked for me. After moving them out, I started moving a few back at a time, initiated PT until it failed to load. Narrowed it down to a third party plug that caused the issue. Guess I could have just moved 3rd party plugs out, but could not tell which were which in some cases. Took me about 30 minutes to get everything sorted. I just Forrest Gump’d my way through. It was as simple a solution as I could muster.

Last edited by nsureit; 05-12-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
It worked for me. After moving them out, I started moving a few back at a time, initiated PT until it failed to load. Narrowed it down to a third party plug that caused the issue. Guess I could have just moved 3rd party plugs out, but could not tell which were which in some cases. Took me about 30 minutes to get everything sorted. It was as simple a solution as I could muster.
Yes again you are confused. In the past you found a faulty third party plugin by doing the correct standard troubleshooting for that problem. Bravo. That is nothing to do with what is being talked about here.

Do you understand what these systems plugins are? That they live somewhere very different. These are not third party plugins, they are internal (and largely hidden) inside Pro Tools, they validate as loading and that validation fail is not caused by other plugins, which won't even have loaded at the point this failure happens.

I've explained you are wrong, asked you to reread the thread and you seem to have not done that carefully. Now can you please stop spamming crap onto a thread and let folks who might actually understand stuff try to help others.
Old 05-12-2022, 05:26 PM

To bozmillar:

After thinking about this a bit more.

Do the Pro Tools logs show anything interesting? C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Avid\Logs. Any additional warnings or errors before whatever is in the logs about the System Plugins?

I would try a clean new installer download as already suggested, and make sure to run the uninstaller before you run this installer. Maybe create a new user with admin privileges and try running the installer there. Just install and test as soon as you can that it works or not. If not I'd likely spin up a clean Windows install (not from a backup or OEM recovery partition) ideally onto a spare drive or partition and as quickly and just install Pro Tools on it and test. if that work OK you can work on getting that set up as your boot drive/partition and getting rid of the current boot drive/partition.

Be careful with interpreting the "not a valid 64-bit" error message. That error message is known to fire for lots of different causes, it's likely nothing to do with it not being a *64-bit* plugin. It may be failing code signing for some reason, or other corruption issues, it might be something like a corrupt or incompatible DLL on your system that is being invoked to do some of tha checking, etc. It might be key components like DLLs are even missing and Pro Tools is not correctly reporting that. It might even possibly be some wonky permissions problem. You could go combing through the systems plugins, looking at the embedded executable code etc. but I think that's a long shot to be causing the problem and would not start there.

Yes I would suspect AV as you already have, I'd make sure all AV software is completely disabled and stays disabled, before uninstalling and reinstalling. (Any A/V software that say corrals the executable file hidden inside of a plugin would ruin you day, ... maybe just like this).

When did this stop working? Anything changed?

Are you running in a Windows Domain? (i.e. with an Active Directory server?) Has an administrator messed with security privileges?

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-12-2022 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I've explained you are wrong, asked you to reread the thread and you seem to have not done that carefully. Now can you please stop spamming crap onto a thread and let folks who might actually understand stuff try to help others.
Wow. Sorry for trying to participate in a community forum. Most of us do not have your level of experience, yet we try. Perhaps you could have restated my misunderstanding instead of telling me to go f*ck myself. I’ll do more to recognize an issue before I open my mouth in the future.

Last edited by nsureit; 05-13-2022 at 07:48 PM.