Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2022, 12:16 PM

Default Re: The end of perpetual licenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
Hold on.

1 - it’s ALWAYS been like this?!

2 - So… I’ve re-read the last paragraph 3 times. Do I have this right? If you let the subs lapse, then you stay on the last version (so far so good). Then you add a year of subs. But then you stay up to date on THAT last version?

If that’s correct then I take it all back. But the wording - and the convoluted nature of it all does tell it’s own story, it’s nigh on impossible to keep up with it.

Yes, you can renew (re-up) without penalty to stay current.
Let me find the post from Mark and I'll attach it to this thread.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post

PT|Carbon Perpetual Parachute License as I described above is only available with the purchase of Carbon. It has no Reinstatement Plan Penalty.
The Ultimate that came with Carbon before dec 31st I know can be renewed just like a normal ultimate. Thats what we did. You can’t sell it but you can renew for $399 as a normal ultimate. That was for the ones who got ultimate before 31st december when we bought another Carbon just to get a full Ultimate and a full Autotune Perpetual as they had a deal that was extended to 31st dec. Now i can’t say what carbon comes with in the form of subs so sorry if i wasn’t clear

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-30-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
That’s not what abc says above. Not how it is being advertised now, anyway:

That makes it sound like $399 initially, then if you lapse and want to get back on it is $999. It’s opaque as to what happens then.

So - hooray - you don’t pay the $750 reinstatement fee. But - boo - you’re actually paying $250 MORE than the reinstatement fee.

Genuinely mind-boggling. Every time I look at the thing some new horror emerges.

Stop it so I can explain everything including what my man SOUTHSIDEMUSIC said.

From July 2021 till Dec. 31, 2021, Avid had an incentive for new buyers who registered their Carbon purchases during that time period. They were giving new buyers a Non-Transferable PT Ultimate and Auto-Tune Hybrid License. This was in addition to the Perpetual Parachute License that comes standard with Carbon.

The additional Non-Transferable Ultimate License is what SOUTHSIDEMUSIC is referring to being renewed at $399 a year for Software Updates + Support.

The Perpetual Parachute License is still $249 to renew before or after expiration at last check.

Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by abc1mce2; 04-30-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:36 PM

This could - COULD - be the single most confusing policy they’ve ever come up with.

In short - $399 to renew initially. Once lapsed, it’s $999 - $250 more than the reinstatement penalty. Then at least you’re on current?

And thanks southsidemusic for confirming this IS a policy change, at some point in the past few months anyway.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-30-2022, 12:37 PM

Avid also give everybody who purchased a Carbon before the incentive started (all earlier adopters) a PT Ultimate License as a goodwill gesture.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 04-30-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
Stop it so I can explain everything including what my man SOUTHSIDEMUSIC said.

From June 2021 till Dec. 31, 2021, Avid had an incentive for new buyers who registered their Carbon purchases during that time period. They were giving new buyers a Non-Transferable PT Ultimate and Auto-Tune Hybrid License. This was in addition to the Perpetual Parachute License that comes standard with Carbon.

The additional Non-Transferable Ultimate License is what SOUTHSIDEMUSIC is referring to being renewed at $399 a year for Software Updates + Support.

The Perpetual Parachute License is still $249 to renew before or after expiration at last check.
Okay… so there’s a unique subscription plan for Ultimate users that isn’t Flex that no-one else has access to now?

My head hurts. I’ll check in again tomorrow.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 04-30-2022, 12:47 PM

Just thinking out loud: this ‘perpetual parachute’ with subscription option -no reinstatement penalty- to get on the most current version again (and stay on the latest version released during subscription when subscription lapses) could be a win for the entire pro tools software line up. It’s actually the waves upgrade plan model. It gives the customer the option to pay when they want or need the latest version, without feeling forced to pay, and -moreover- it motivates AVID to come up with the best they can to eventually motivate the customer to jump on the subscription (again)
Old 04-30-2022, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertDorn View Post
Just thinking out loud: this ‘perpetual parachute’ with subscription option -no reinstatement penalty- to get on the most current version again (and stay on the latest version released during subscription when subscription lapses) could be a win for the entire pro tools software line up. It’s actually the waves upgrade plan model. It gives the customer the option to pay when they want or need the latest version, without feeling forced to pay, and -moreover- it motivates AVID to come up with the best they can to eventually motivate the customer to jump on the subscription (again)
Which is exactly why this isn't going to be done.
They want continuous payment: that's why there's the subscription plan where things stop if you stop paying and that's why the reinstatement costs so much for perpetual.

They've always had this option to do this. It's the equivalent of paid upgrades (the original system) with a subscription option. But the whole point was Avid was getting away from optional paid upgrades and to continuous money in-flow.

The reason why it is being done for Carbon is because an expired subscription would be non-working hardware. And the perpetual parachute is to encourage people to buy Carbon. But there's no reason to believe that they will continue offering this forever for the Carbon. Perpetual regular license, yes. But moving the release date for the perpetual license to track with the last subscription, no.
Also, remember only the Carbon of the "DSP/HDX clan" is allowed to run with Studio. And the perpetual parachute is a Studio version. Not Ultimate version. The Ultimate was given as an NFR bonus (for a period of time) that could be extended with support+update plan.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Okay… so there’s a unique subscription plan for Ultimate users that isn’t Flex that no-one else has access to now?

My head hurts. I’ll check in again tomorrow.
Perpetual License Update and Reinstatement Prices

Software Updates + Support Plans Prices
-Ultimate $399
-Standard (or whatever we called normal PT) $199
-Carbon Perpetual Parachute License $249

Reinstatement Plans Prices Revised this week
-Ultimate $749
-Studio (Was called Standard before this week and now with more Ultimate only features) $349
-Carbon Perpetual Parachute License $249 (Now with PT Studio feature set, pricing unchanged and renewal available only through your Avid Master Account)

PT Artist, Studio, and Flex are new as of this week and are subscription only and have different pricing as well as features.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by abc1mce2; 04-30-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-30-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
Which is exactly why this isn't going to be done.
They want continuous payment: that's why there's the subscription plan where things stop if you stop paying and that's why the reinstatement costs so much for perpetual.

They've always had this option to do this. It's the equivalent of paid upgrades (the original system) with a subscription option. But the whole point was Avid was getting away from optional paid upgrades and to continuous money in-flow.

The reason why it is being done for Carbon is because an expired subscription would be non-working hardware. And the perpetual parachute is to encourage people to buy Carbon. But there's no reason to believe that they will continue offering this forever for the Carbon. Perpetual regular license, yes. But moving the release date for the perpetual license to track with the last subscription, no.
Also, remember only the Carbon of the "DSP/HDX clan" is allowed to run with Studio. And the perpetual parachute is a Studio version. Not Ultimate version. The Ultimate was given as an NFR bonus (for a period of time) that could be extended with support+update plan.
Mmm, you’re right. This was a little brain fart.

I know I know. They want continuous payment while continuously delivering almost nothing besides new pro tools names and confusing new pricing schemes.