Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 04-22-2022, 07:11 AM

Default Re: Windows + Pro Tools sound with ASIO4ALL?

Focusrite Scarlett interfaces have served me well (as a SECONDARY interface for Windows-related sounds…using a UA Apollo 8 for my PT interface.) Just bear in mind that trying to get ANY interface to “share” Windows sounds and PT is asking for trouble.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:30 AM

On my last bigger system, I needed optical SPDIF for computer audio(my HP Z820 didn't have it) to feed my monitor/source switcher(Presonus central Station). I got a Behringer USB to SPDIF adapter for around $35 and it worked great.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-22-2022, 11:20 AM

Get an interface with 4 or more I/O - Audient Evo 8 or MOTU M4 come to mind (bonus with either - they have Loopback). Use a mini stereo to two quarter jack TRS adapter cable to bring signal from your onboard soundcard into the interface. Put up a stereo track in Pro Tools and assign its input to that I/O. Put the track in Input Only if you just want to hear it and Record if you want to record the signal. Or, as albee mentioned, use an Optical cable if your onboard soundcard and interface have that connection.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 04-24-2022, 01:40 AM

I really like the look of the UA Volt 2 and it reviews well. Is anyone familiar with the Volt 2? Does a USB bus powered interface put more load on the CPU than a DC powered interface?

Last edited by kol12; 04-24-2022 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol12 View Post
I really like the look of the UA Volt 2 and it reviews well. Is anyone familiar with the Volt 2? Does a USB bus powered interface put more load on the CPU than a DC powered interface?
No, powering a USB device via the port vs an external adapter has no affect on CPU load.

System Details
Old 04-27-2022, 02:08 AM

Just coming back to this. Other than recording inputs on an audio interface does an audio interface actually do anything more than my internal SoundBlaster soundcard?
Old 04-27-2022, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kol12 View Post
Just coming back to this. Other than recording inputs on an audio interface does an audio interface actually do anything more than my internal SoundBlaster soundcard?
I replied earlier with a answer listing lots of stuff the might be important to consider when buying an interface. How many of the things I mentioned are done by a Soundblaster card? You understood everything I listed? If not and you want to learn about interfaces go read up on stuff, google words, read a few owners manuals for some interfaces etc. Just please stop asking question after question on DUC without seeming to do much of you own work/learning. And especially please stop repeating yourself and re-asking questions already answered.

You can look over online dealers interface sections and if you have questions contact a sales rep. And most importantly buy something to get started with and start doing stuff and learning. Asking question after question on DUC about learning stuff and getting started is not helping if you don't actually get started and like all of us when we got started... you likely won't know enough right now to even know what questions to ask, or really able to work out what gear you really need etc. You solve that by just getting started.

Sounds like you are on a somewhat limited budget, and you want to loopback windows PC output so get a 2 mic and 2 line input Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 interface or something else close to that (with a vendor supplied ASIO driver). Just get going.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 04-27-2022 at 02:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:47 AM

Just to add to this, voicemeter instead of asio4all has always worked for me on pc to allow both protools and windows sounds at the same time.

https://vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/index.htm