How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 03-05-2022, 01:45 PM

Default Frequent crashes when working in the MIDI Editor window

Hi all,

I'm at my wits' end here.

Since not too long ago, Pro Tools (2021.12) started crashing every 10-15 minutes while I'm working. My workflow mostly involves MIDI editing.

The crashes always happen when I'm manually editing notes or CCs in the MIDI Editor window, usually around the start or the end of playback. Haven't had any problems while working in other windows.

I contacted Avid support and sent them my crash logs but haven't heard a peep from them since. I figured I'd try here in the meantime.

I'm on Mac Mini 2018 (Intel) running Big Sur (11.6.4).

Here's what I've tried so far:
  • Trashed PT preferences
  • Reset NVRAM
  • Turned off most of my VSTs/plugins
  • Downgraded to PT 2021.10
  • Turned auto-saves off
  • Unchecked diagnostic data collection
  • Video engine is off
  • Turned off wifi
  • Tried putting extra plugins in the "unused" folder
All to no avail. Crashes still happen regularly.

I also tried launching PT while running the OS in safe mode, but ilok license manager wouldn't launch at all so I couldn't go through with it.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before?

This is a serious issue as I am a professional musician relying on PT for my work.

Many thanks to all.
Pro Tools 2021.10/12 / Mac Mini (2018) CPU 3.2 GHz i7 RAM 32 Gb (DDR4) / OS 11.6.4
Old 03-05-2022, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Frequent crashes when working in the MIDI Editor window

Hi, My first guess would be a VI plugin or a combination of VI's. Have you noticed it happening more with certain plugins??

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-06-2022, 08:34 AM

Turned off most of my VSTs/plugins

what does this mean? how do you "turn off" plugins?

Tried putting extra plugins in the "unused" folder

does by "extra" mean ALL of your 3rd party plugins?

my suggestions...

1 - move ALL 3rd party plugins into UNUSED folder. mainly so you know what's there, NOT to reuse them!
2 - delete ALL plugins from the appropriate folders. PT included plugins will be automatically reinstalled. NOTE - some plugins are in different places!!!
3 - test and see if you can edit on a bare bones project.

if issue IS resolved, only then download the latest versions of each 3rd party plugin. install them INDIVIDUALLY, 1 at a time, testing each time. hopefully you will find an incompatible plugin.

if issue NOT resolved, you may be looking at a full format and reinstall.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 03-06-2022, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
Turned off most of my VSTs/plugins

what does this mean? how do you "turn off" plugins?
You can deactivate plugins by right-clicking them and choosing "Make Inactive".

I guess I could try moving all third party plug-ins to the unused folder and see what happens. Though I'm pretty sure all my 3rd party plugins are up-to-date, it's possible I've missed something.
Pro Tools 2021.10/12 / Mac Mini (2018) CPU 3.2 GHz i7 RAM 32 Gb (DDR4) / OS 11.6.4
Old 03-06-2022, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentlpratte View Post
You can deactivate plugins by right-clicking them and choosing "Make Inactive".

I guess I could try moving all third party plug-ins to the unused folder and see what happens. Though I'm pretty sure all my 3rd party plugins are up-to-date, it's possible I've missed something.
I'm sorry but you can't do this halfway...it doesn't work like that. at least not if you seriously want to troubleshoot. and honestly this is the only way I know of to get to the bottom of any significant issue, on PT or ANY software. (PS - I was a software engineer and developer for 35+ years.)

understand that deactivating a plugin doesn't help. the plugin is still loaded! in fact having them in the plugin folder is just as problematic.

so - you actually DIDN'T move ALL plugins to UNUSED folder? you need to do that. your basic PT plugins will be automatically reinstalled from the app. import one of your MIDI files from the problematic session, then start editing and see what happens.

FWIW what I am suggesting you try is truly the least onerous thing to do.

PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 03-06-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I'm sorry but you can't do this halfway...it doesn't work like that. at least not if you seriously want to troubleshoot. and honestly this is the only way I know of to get to the bottom of any significant issue, on PT or ANY software. (PS - I was a software engineer and developer for 35+ years.)

understand that deactivating a plugin doesn't help. the plugin is still loaded! in fact having them in the plugin folder is just as problematic.

so - you actually DIDN'T move ALL plugins to UNUSED folder? you need to do that. your basic PT plugins will be automatically reinstalled from the app. import one of your MIDI files from the problematic session, then start editing and see what happens.

FWIW what I am suggesting you try is truly the least onerous thing to do.
I wasn't questioning your methods or knowledge, just pointing out that that's what I meant by turning off some plugins in my session.

Like I said, I will certainly try moving all the plugins in the unused folder and see what happens.

Thx again
Old 03-06-2022, 01:48 PM

So I just did a quick test with all plugins moved to the unused folders. Still got a crash after a few minutes in the Midi Editor.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing PT (going from 2021.12 to 2021.10). I also formatted my HD when I downgraded from Monterey to Big Sur. What else can I try at this point?
Old 03-06-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
What else can I try at this point?
Hard to say -What interface are you using? Do you have another interface to try? Have you tried using the internal soundcard in the Pro Tools Playback Engine?

Might be good to run tests on hardware such as CPU/RAM too.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-06-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
So I just did a quick test with all plugins moved to the unused folders. Still got a crash after a few minutes in the Midi Editor.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing PT (going from 2021.12 to 2021.10). I also formatted my HD when I downgraded from Monterey to Big Sur. What else can I try at this point?
did you test in the same problematic session, or did you try in a fresh session on a new MIDI file? where did the MIDI come from that you are editing? it is possible that there is some data in the MIDI data that could be causing the issue. can you try the same thing in a new session, with only the standard plugins in the folder and a new MIDI file from another source?

Old 03-06-2022, 07:40 PM

I did test in 2 distinct sessions. In both of them I had played in the MIDI myself. I have yet to test out a fresh session or from a different computer (which I should be able to do soon). I will also test out the scenarios you suggest (new session with no MIDI and only standard plugins). Hopefully that'll give us some clues.

Best,