Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2014, 03:36 AM

Default New Mac Pro - is a Keyboard - just a keyboard ? ..., and Shortcut Covers

New Mac Pro - is a Keyboard - just a keyboard ? ..., and Shortcut Covers

Hi there,

Im soon buying a New Mac Pro , after years on a windows Laptop.

I need some recommendations on ;

Dedicated numeric keyboards best suitable for use with Pro Tools 11....,

Pro tools keyboard shortcut covers are also to be questioned .............,

I like the thought of setting up my New Mac pro with a color coded keyboard , for easier visual use with pro tools shortcuts.

Many are available from dedicated pre-constructed models , through to silicone covers which slip over the top .

Heres examples of dedicated shortcut keyboards for Pro Tools ;

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...stom-Keyboards

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-TOOLS...677cb2f&_uhb=1

Heres some examples of keyboard shortcut covers for pro tools ;

http://www.editorskeys.com/pro-tools...eyboard-cover/

http://kbcovers.com/pro-tools-keyboard-cover/

Which of these keyboards are the best and least problematic ???

...., and is the standard, Mac USB keyboard currently available from the applestore any good ?

..., and what about the apple wireless version - Ive read from others to steer clear of anything wireless ?

..., is this still the case , or could wireless it be seen as more stable these days ?

Just one more thing , any MOUSE recommendations ????? do you have a favorite ?

..., and is that trackpad just a big waste of time ?

any comments , or tips are highly appreciated , cheers
Old 07-04-2014, 03:52 AM

Default Re: New Mac Pro - is a Keyboard - just a keyboard ? ..., and Shortcut Covers

Hi Davo, I would always get wired keyboards and mousies. The Avid PT keyboard is a goodun. The Apple wired mousie is good, although I prefer to replace it with a trackball (just my pref... not moving my arm all over the place all day). I use a Kensington Slimblade. Wired seems more precise and you wont have issues with batteries carking it.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:56 AM

Default Re: New Mac Pro - is a Keyboard - just a keyboard ? ..., and Shortcut Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoBali View Post
New Mac Pro - is a Keyboard - just a keyboard ? ..., and Shortcut Covers
Hi there,
Im soon buying a New Mac Pro , after years on a windows Laptop.
I need some recommendations on ;
Dedicated numeric keyboards best suitable for use with Pro Tools 11....,
Pro tools keyboard shortcut covers are also to be questioned .............,
I like the thought of setting up my New Mac pro with a color coded keyboard , for easier visual use with pro tools shortcuts. Many are available from dedicated pre-constructed models , through to silicone covers which slip over the top.

Heres examples of dedicated shortcut keyboards for Pro Tools ;
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-...stom-Keyboards

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-TOOLS...677cb2f&_uhb=1

Heres some examples of keyboard shortcut covers for pro tools ;
http://www.editorskeys.com/pro-tools...eyboard-cover/

http://kbcovers.com/pro-tools-keyboard-cover/

Which of these keyboards are the best and least problematic ???
...., and is the standard, Mac USB keyboard currently available from the applestore any good ?

..., and what about the apple wireless version - Ive read from others to steer clear of anything wireless ?

..., is this still the case , or could wireless it be seen as more stable these days ?

Just one more thing , any MOUSE recommendations ????? do you have a favorite ?

..., and is that trackpad just a big waste of time ?

any comments , or tips are highly appreciated , cheers
Dedicated keyboards are nice but not necessary if you learn the shortcuts. And some of the dedicated keyboards have slightly different key layouts and shapes at the right end of the keyboard.

The only thing keyboard silicone keyboard covers are good for are keeping fluids like at a fast food place off the keys - that's why they're used. For a home or studio system - not necessary.

Keep in mind that the Apple wireless keyboard does NOT have a numeric keypad. If you're getting a build to order Mac then get the wired keyboard then you'll have the numeric keypad and won't have to worry about running down the batteries in the wireless keyboard. Stability doesn't enter into the equation - they both work well. There is an add-on numeric keypad for the wireless but it's crud. Also be aware that Apple keyboards are not full travel keyboards and the keys will get dirty after many hours of use but can be cleaned with a little Windex and a paper towel but be sure to turn off the computer before doing this.

Mice - I have yet to have an Apple mouse I liked over the decades. Give me a mouse or trackball with real buttons. You don't need a Mac mouse to use with a Mac - there's plenty of third party rodents. My long time favorite is the Kensington Expert Mouse which is really a huge trackball.

The Apple Trackpad without third party software to really take advantage of what it can do is a waste.

I can't stress this enough - if you do go the Apple wireless route for keyboard don't forget to turn off the keyboard. Hold in the little power button on the right side of the keyboard with the computer still on. Wait until you see a message come up on screen saying communication has been lost with the keyboard and then let go of the button. The Apple wireless rodents have a switch on the bottom to turn them off.

QAPLA!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:42 AM

The Apple Trackpad without third party software to really take advantage of what it can do is a waste.

Agreed. And all the rest.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:27 AM

Just to expand on this, one of the reasons not to use wireless, especially a mouse, is because of how frequently you'll go through batteries. Using a mouse for a DAW is much more intensive than for general purpose computer stuff. You may be replacing batteries every 3 weeks and it's a pain.

I can also concur that most 3rd party mouses work fine, having used Microsoft and Logitech myself.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:49 AM

I have the Avid keyboard and the Kensington Expert Mouse. I used it with my 2010 Mac Pro and use it now with my New MacPro. Both work great.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 07-04-2014, 06:02 PM

Wow , the quality of info coming out here is excellent , cheers guys and thankyou ..., enjoy your holiday (4th)
Old 07-05-2014, 02:14 AM

I spent hours putting the decals on an older Mac keyboard several years ago. I never look at the keyboard unless I'm typing. It was BT, now I use the standard wired Mac keyboard.

I love the Magic Mouse, but the Mighty Mouse (wired and/or wireless) are very handy and I used those before the Magic came out.
Old 07-05-2014, 03:17 AM

I like the idea of getting a trackball mouse , my friend had one ( bluetooth model , not sure of type) and it just makes sense to me because I am always running out of room with my mouse and have to keep picking it up and re positioning it. Plus its not good on the wrist (ie; my regular Mouse) after many long hours on the computer.

The 2 Trackball Models so far (from online research) I am interested In are.........,

#1 ; The Kensington Slimblade Trackball
#1 ; The Kensington Expert Mouse

Heres the link for both these Trackball Mouses ;

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493...s#.U7fJovmSxSk

I very much doubt I can check one out in Bali , Id have to get one posted from overseas I imagine .

.., but from watching you-tube clips ,

- Negatives for expert mouse was I noticed the buttons and scroll wheel were rather noisy (not good if you were tracking in the studio on P.T)

......, where as the slimblade seemed to have much quieter buttons and got rid of the scroll wheel by turning the ball like a dial (L & R) to mimic the function of the expert mouses scroll wheel .

I could only compare the button noise from videos and not side by side in person ?

- Pluses for the expert mouse was it seems there is an optional wrist pad , but the slimline seemed lower to the desk , so maybe having the wrist pad might be unnecessary in comparison between using either of the two.

The 4 programmable large buttons on both mouses also seemed a good feature , as does the very large size of the Ball itself , its almost billiard ball size .

Does anyone have any experience with either of these with pro tools use, and care to comment
Old 07-05-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoBali View Post
I like the idea of getting a trackball mouse , my friend had one ( bluetooth model , not sure of type) and it just makes sense to me because I am always running out of room with my mouse and have to keep picking it up and re positioning it. Plus its not good on the wrist (ie; my regular Mouse) after many long hours on the computer.

The 2 Trackball Models so far (from online research) I am interested In are.........,

#1 ; The Kensington Slimblade Trackball
#1 ; The Kensington Expert Mouse

Heres the link for both these Trackball Mouses ;

http://www.kensington.com/us/us/4493...s#.U7fJovmSxSk

I very much doubt I can check one out in Bali , Id have to get one posted from overseas I imagine .

.., but from watching you-tube clips ,

- Negatives for expert mouse was I noticed the buttons and scroll wheel were rather noisy (not good if you were tracking in the studio on P.T)

......, where as the slimblade seemed to have much quieter buttons and got rid of the scroll wheel by turning the ball like a dial (L & R) to mimic the function of the expert mouses scroll wheel .

I could only compare the button noise from videos and not side by side in person ?

- Pluses for the expert mouse was it seems there is an optional wrist pad , but the slimline seemed lower to the desk , so maybe having the wrist pad might be unnecessary in comparison between using either of the two.

The 4 programmable large buttons on both mouses also seemed a good feature , as does the very large size of the Ball itself , its almost billiard ball size .

Does anyone have any experience with either of these with pro tools use, and care to comment
Like I said - I have the Kensington Expert Mouse (really a large trackball). Yes, the buttons are a bit loud but then again I don't track acoustic instruments in the same room as the computer so that's not an issue. The wrist pad is not an option as it comes with the unit; you can attach it or not as you please.

The 4 buttons are quite good otherwise and you have not just 4 possibilities but 6 as the top two and bottom two buttons are chordable meaning that when you press both top buttons together you can get a fifth programmed operation and when you press the bottom two buttons you get a sixth programmable operation. The customizations for the buttons are not program specific meaning you can't have one set to work in PT and another to work in say Word. You do need the Kensington driver software and I don't know if it's been redone to work in Mavericks though.

Oh yeah - getting back to keyboards - the cable on the wired Mac keyboard is short; about 3 feet.

QAPLA!