Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM

Default If You Had To Start Over.......

I was just wondering..If you HD users had to start over, as of today, would you continue to use HD systems with the cards or would you choose HD 9 with a different interface with fast cpu, a/d convertor, etc... The reason I ask, is because I'm in a sudden position to have to start over..so I was wondering if i should aim high(Mac Pro, HD2 PCIe) or get a native set up(8 core Mac with PT9HD). Thanks!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:49 PM

Default Re: If You Had To Start Over.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelo View Post
I was just wondering..If you HD users had to start over, as of today, would you continue to use HD systems with the cards or would you choose HD 9 with a different interface with fast cpu, a/d convertor, etc... The reason I ask, is because I'm in a sudden position to have to start over..so I was wondering if i should aim high(Mac Pro, HD2 PCIe) or get a native set up(8 core Mac with PT9HD). Thanks!

First, I would take up medicine, or law.

Otherwise though, I went with the Native system.

I think everyone just has to step back and ask what they personally need to get their work done.

You come away watching the Avatar video on the AVID site saying "Yeah, I gotta have HD" but for me, well, I'm not recording symphonies, I'm recording myself. I need a bunch of tracks, great sound, and no hassles. HD Native is perfect for me. For a big studio, probably not, they still have no choice but to buy at least HD3, etc. You have to look at your specific situation and be honest with yourself. It could save you thousands

T
Old 11-07-2010, 01:52 PM

Medicine? Law? F**k that. I wouldn't change what I do for all the tea in China.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:56 PM

I'll take the bait.

I had an 002 with a Mac Pro and was in the middle of mixing a CD for somebody and just couldn't deal with the dropouts with FW and no ADC so I bailed & gave the work to somebody else. I then bought PTHD 2 and an Aurora 16/LT-HD card and have not looked back. Now there's PT9, ADC, a ton of buses...I honestly dunno. I can get by with RTAS verbs & delay on buses for tracking. Having the cards and relatively rawk solid performance is tough to give up. I'm curious how Native will perfom for sure.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hartman View Post
First, I would take up medicine, or law.

Otherwise though, I went with the Native system.

I think everyone just has to step back and ask what they personally need to get their work done.

You come away watching the Avatar video on the AVID site saying "Yeah, I gotta have HD" but for me, well, I'm not recording symphonies, I'm recording myself. I need a bunch of tracks, great sound, and no hassles. HD Native is perfect for me. For a big studio, probably not, they still have no choice but to buy at least HD3, etc. You have to look at your specific situation and be honest with yourself. It could save you thousands

T
haha glad u stuck with music...I will be honest..I do mostly Hiphop & RnB type stuff. So on my 96i/o, I was only using on channel at a time(spif input, used mytek as the A/D convertor). Max I used where about 50 tracks(40 audio 10 stereo busses)..with maybe 4 plugs on each channel..and %95 of those plugs where RTAS.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:05 PM

HD all the WAY...

TDM is the only choice for me....
Old 11-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ghosts View Post
HD all the WAY...

TDM is the only choice for me....
I was thinking of that also..because I have my old G5 with PT 8.0.3 HD on it in front of the studio..I may just spends say..2k on an HD2 PCIx Accel system and roll from there...I just hate that the G5 I have is only a single processor 1.8..
Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
I was thinking of that also..because I have my old G5 with PT 8.0.3 HD on it in front of the studio..I may just spends say..2k on an HD2 PCIx Accel system and roll from there...I just hate that the G5 I have is only a single processor 1.8..

It's not like used dual 2.5 G5s are comanding big bucks these days.....Why not snag a DP G5 and use the cards you alrady own. It's no Mac Pro but the last I checked they were dirt cheap.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 11-07-2010, 02:24 PM

My guess is... all the latest Avid Audio releases are cooking up to something exciting for the HD users...

HD all the way...
Old 11-07-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
HD native + UAD-2 might be an interesting option.