Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2010, 05:28 AM

Default LE $99 upgrade to PT9 as per press conference ?

Hi All,
Like others on this forum I'm a bit confused after watching the press conference video about exactly what happens to us who have just bought a Mbox 3 with regards to the update price for Pro tools 9. I've watched the video a few times now and after saying originally the upgrade would be free it is almost immediately corrected to be $99 for people who registered after Oct 4th (Which I assume is new mbox 3 owners , makes sense ?).
Thing is like others I don't want to jump straight away and Crossgrade only to find out I could have saved a lot of my hard earned cash !

Anyway I've searched for further info on this and have turned up nothing, so I contacted the one person I thought could help i.e. Russ at the Air User Blog.
Russ emailed me by return (good guy !) and will hopefully have an answer in 48 hours 'ish which he'll post on the Air Users blog.

So cheers Russ !

All the best

Clive
Old 11-06-2010, 05:54 AM

Default Re: LE $99 upgrade to PT9 as per press conference ?

I'm sorry but I saw a link on DUC yesterday that said PT 9 is a new software that we have to order it for 249 bucks and that the PT LE 8.04 is still sold with the MBOX 3 hardwares.

So yeah, it's not fair, but we have to pay 249 bucks, I know here a lot of people keep saying it's ok because of all the stuff they're bringing with the brand new PT 9 but, I can say that since I've been purchasing PT LE 8.04 I never been able to finish a session, so now, to be able to finish one, I have to pay 249 dollars, someone told everything as a price (lol) but here seems like getting back on Cubase would be the solution, but I can't cause now I'm used to work on PT, thanks for the trap. That's sad that more they bring us to a little piece, they get us to not be able to even finish our work, so if we want to "TRY" (cause ain't sure we can anyway), may be the solution for someone who can afford it would be to pay it.

But that's not what I can call a good service, cause when you buy something, it's supposed to work, ain't it? So ok, you pay for it, what I did but then, now, to be able to have it perfectly resolved I have to go on 249 bucks.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2010, 06:54 AM

I hear what you say iheagle, and of course your right, I'm a realist and if I have to pay the full whack at $249 then so be it.......but !

Like a lot of others who watched the live press conference online when PT9 was annouced to the world, the $99 issue about upgrades PT9 for LE purchases made after Oct 4th was said and that has added a little confusion since there has been no retraction of that statement (If avid puts its hands up and says 'Our Mistake, we didn't mean that' then I'll have to pay the $249, no problem).
Thing is though I'd like to update to PT9 but until we get a definative answer I won't because you can rest assured If I pay 249 now only to find out it should have been $99 no refund would be forthcoming (well I could dream I suppose ! ha ha !).

Anyway Russ asked me to let the DUC know he would look into this (as no doubt he's as perplexed on the issue as the rest of us !) and I'll wait to see what turns up on the Air User Blog.

Cheerio

Clive
Old 11-06-2010, 07:36 AM

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...id=AV-SM-PT9-2
Old 11-06-2010, 08:44 AM

http://livestre.am/rVh6

Have a listen from 01.01.50 onwards, then after the next question it gets corrected to $99 !

Like I said all a bit confusing !

Come on Avid its an easy thing to clear up ! Yes or No, then I'll spend my cash !
You know you want to !

Cheerio

Clive
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Perhaps the thing to keep in mind is PT9 gives you new features . Do you value those features ? Will PT9 add value to your recording process ,if so buy it ,if not, why buy it ?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Hi Epiphone (Nice handle by the way Good guitars !),

Yeah I know it sounds like I'm moaning for moanings sake, but I assure you I'm not ! Just being cautious thats all !

I'm really interested in the ADC being implemented, plus going PT9 opens the upgrade path for the coming 'how many years'? until dare I say.... PT10 !, but the difference in the press conference price and the webstore price is quite few good nights out down the pub ! (An Englishman and the pub what more need I say !)

Waiting 48 hours is no big deal, but it's slightly perplexing that this loose end wasn't made crystal clear, but like I say, if in the end its 249 then thats what it is ! But I'm sure I'm not the only one whose thinking about this (not the Pub, the upgrade........Ok it's the Pub !)

Cheerio

Clive
Old 11-08-2010, 03:16 AM

Gentlemen,
Keep your eyes on this

http://www.airusersblog.com/home-pag...ns-please.html

Cheerio

Clive
Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 AM

... what about people who purchased/registered M-Powered 8 after oct. 4th ...?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:12 AM

Hi Bensoft,
Who knows at the moment as everything seems a bit errrr....vague !
But why not go to the Air User blog (link in post above) and post your query there for Russ to ask Avid ? I'm sure there must be others in the same position as yourself, it just takes one person to step forward and ask , then hopefully we'll all know exactly where we stand on these matters.

Cheerio

Clive